Az Javelina HAM season 2022

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hac

Reaction score
My bro and I doubled down on some nice Javelina both dressed out with no heads at 40lbs.

I was using a Disc elite in 45 loaded with 80gr of BH209 by weight, w209 and a blue harvester sabot and a Hornady 200gr SST, 100 yard shoulder shot pass through DRT

My bro was using a Disc Extreme 50, 80gr of BH209 by weight, w209 and a smooth black harvester sabot with a Hornady 225gr FXT, 150 yard shot pass through DRT.IMG955678.jpgIMG_5687.jpg

Congrats on your success, looks like you fellas are loving the hunt. :lewis:

Congrats on the little pigs. They are on my list.

My bro and I doubled down on some nice Javelina both dressed out with no heads at 40lbs.

I was using a Disc elite in 45 loaded with 80gr of BH209 by weight, w209 and a blue harvester sabot and a Hornady 200gr SST, 100 yard shoulder shot pass through DRT

My bro was using a Disc Extreme 50, 80gr of BH209 by weight, w209 and a smooth black harvester sabot with a Hornady 225gr FXT, 150 yard shot pass through DRT.View attachment 19437View attachment 19438
Nice what unit ?

Nice, how are they to eat?
I take it to the processor and have it made to a hot chorizo or flavored meat sticks like a slimjim,, it doesn't last long. You in Az I'll share some if you want to try it

Congrats to you and your brother. That looks like soooo much fun. You need snowshoes to go out here, nadda open but squirrel, rabbit, and grouse. Not very many of each either. Good shooting. I bet i could cure them little hams and bacons to tastey table fair ...👍👍

Those are some big pigs you got! I got mine last week in NM. I got my first javelina in 1981 in Bloody Basin using a .380 auto. My buddy was coming down to meet me and loan me a .44 Magnum, but while I was waiting, I went hunting. At 30 yards, it worked very well. I've shot several with a bow, but there aren't near as many here in NM, so if I find them in NM, I don't want to miss. We've found a good spot, and I've gotten 3 in a row. I used to hunt with a TC Contender pistol in 7mm TCU, but finally upgraded to a carbine in the same caliber. It is a joy to carry at 5-1/4 lbs. This year I snuck up on five of them, and was set up on my sticks about 90 yards out when the wind shifted. I was able to hit one as it started to move uphill. I wouldn't have made that shot with a pistol.

George Herter had a great reciipe for javelina. Debone the meat and put a galllon of water in a plastic bucket with 2 cups of Morton Sugar Cure, and 1 ounce of pickling spice. Let the meat cure for 2 weeks at 38°. To cook, add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground clove, 4 Tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and one small chopped onion. then put it in the crock pot. It comes out tasting like corned beef. My wife used to deep fry steak fingers with flour, salt, and pepper. They were great, but she threw away the fryer when my cholesterol got over 200.

Back