Back in Ninerings kitchen

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently found a recipe online that really caught my interest in making.
For this old half German/half Appalachian countryboy, this is as close as “ Bliss in a Bowl “ as it gets.
Oktoberfest Beer Cheese Soup
With Venison meatballs.
It took me about 4.5hrs from start to eating. It was more than worth it. It turned out to be even better than it looks, better than I expected it to be. So I naturally washed it down with a Becks beer ( one of my life’s loves ) since it had 3 of them in the soup already. Let me tell ya, I sat down & commenced at sounding like a hog at a trough until my bowl was clean enough to put right back in the cabinet. It’s lunch & prob dinner today too & highly probable tomorrow as well. It’s a good 3 days of food.

Attachments

• IMG_0643.jpeg
    IMG_0643.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0644.jpeg
    IMG_0644.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Here is the link to the recipe.
If anyone wants to know the alterations I made to it & what I used in it, I'm happy to share it.
One thing about it is you'll prob want to triple the recipe, just keep the single amount of salt & Tyme as is.
Thats a LOT of time, I used that amount for a single recipe, I'm so glad I did not triple that, it would have ruined it.
The pairing of the right beer with the right mustard is important too. Use two that do not blend well together, you'll ruin the soup.
Oktoberfest Beer and Cheese Soup with Venison Meatballs - The Intrepid Eater

I've had enough of those kind of friends that show up almost every day and want to drink my beer & smoke my smoke, never ever bring anything to share with me, then leave. I don't let that crap go on very long before they are no longer welcome to come over at all. And yesss, they do go away with hurt feelings too, I make sure of it.

Last edited:
Here’s the wild turkey soup I just made. It cooked most of the day yesterday between cooking the meat first, then removing it to cool & separate while I built the stock & cooked the veggies. Today it got a little cornstarch thickening & the gnocchi added, and done.
Wow is it good.
Here’s what I used in it. No recipe, just what I threw together.
About 5lbs of mixed white & dark meat
5 lg carrots thinly sliced
4 of celery stalks
2 med sweet onions
1 tblsp minced garlic
1 tsp roast turkey seasoning
Either use 2 of the lg chicken bouillon cubes or 2 tblsp Better than Bouillon chicken
1 box of chicken stock
2 pks Pioneer roast turkey gravy
2 pks Gnoochi & thicken with cornstarch or flour to your preference.
Give the gnoochi an hr in the soup before eating it.
I’d normally have included 1 lb of fresh sliced mushrooms, but I didn’t have any here & didn’t want canned ones in it.
The only thing missing is fresh baked bread

Attachments

• IMG_0812.jpeg
    IMG_0812.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0813.jpeg
    IMG_0813.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here’s the wild turkey soup I just made. It cooked most of the day yesterday between cooking the meat first, then removing it to cool & separate while I built the stock & cooked the veggies. Today it got a little cornstarch thickening & the gnocchi added, and done.
Wow is it good.
Here’s what I used in it. No recipe, just what I threw together.
About 5lbs of mixed white & dark meat
5 lg carrots thinly sliced
4 of celery stalks
2 med sweet onions
1 tblsp minced garlic
1 tsp roast turkey seasoning
Either use 2 of the lg chicken bouillon cubes or 2 tblsp Better than Bouillon chicken
1 box of chicken stock
2 pks Pioneer roast turkey gravy
2 pks Gnoochi & thicken with cornstarch or flour to your preference.
Give the gnoochi an hr in the soup before eating it.
I’d normally have included 1 lb of fresh sliced mushrooms, but I didn’t have any here & didn’t want canned ones in it.
The only thing missing is fresh baked bread
That soup looks amazing!

Back