Baked Beans

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
The pot hit the oven a few minutes ago. They'll bake thru this evening and then the heat will be shut off. The heat will go back on in the morning for the day and we'll enjoy these with home-made venison ring bologna.

Attachments

• 155515996_1313883455653778_4600187612077111_n.jpg
    155515996_1313883455653778_4600187612077111_n.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
Mr Tom,
Looks good to me, just one question. You don't ruin a good pot of bean by drowning then in brown sugar do ya? lol
When I was a young boy I could not choke down the beans my aunt made for family get togethers and for many years I ate no beans. Come to find out I liked beans but not the brown sugar.
Now I cook and simmer beans with two ham bones and herbs etc the way my grandfathers Chinese ranch cook did years ago. When in a backcountry hunting camp just place the zip locked bag of beans in hot water and have a good meal.

These have some brown sugar in them along with a little molassas, but not overbearing.

I make a great bean soup with ham bones or pork hocks, but that's another day.

My mother, maternal and paternal grandmothers all made very good baked beans but were all different. Sadly none of them left a written recipe of their beans. So I had to do some research and experimenting. My recipe now uses some brown sugar and "Briar Rabbit" dark full strength molasses. Also experimented with different meats and ended up settling on bacon ends cut into small pieces. Remember to soak the beans in baking soda prior to starting as it removes some of the "gases".

Beans are a family thing. Our family is from lumber country. Everyone knows who makes the best beans.
There are just few ingredients in them. Onion, salt pork, salt and pepper (a tiny bit), dried mustard powder, molasses, brown sugar and the soaking liquid from the beans. You can use some maple syrup along with the brown sugar if you want to without ruining them. You must use pre-soaked navy beans. You save that water from soaking the beans and blend it in with the salt and pepper (a tiny bit), dried mustard powder, molasses and brown sugar. A proper beanpot helps to make sure they don't turn out like bullets.
When I make beans, I start them in the morning and cook them most of the day. You need to be there to add liquid to them as the beans absorb during cooking.
There, I gave my top secret recipe away.

Got a recipe for the venison bologna?
12-1/2 pounds lean venison, 3/4" cube
12-1/2 pounds boned pork shoulder, 3/4" cube
1 order of Waltons Ring Bologna Seasoning
8 ounces of Backwoods Soy Protein concentrate
I order of Waltons 40mm X 18" Collagen Casing.

mix the meats with the seasonings, cover and let sit overnight in the fridge. Add the soy concentrate and two bottles of spring water and mix well. Grind thru coarse plate, re-grind thru fine plate. Stuff in casings, tying each into a loop. Smoke with medium smoke for about 4 hours, then continue to heat until the internal temp of each ring has gotten to at least 152 degrees for half an hour. Remove from smoker and allow to air cool, then vacuum pack.

Beans are a family thing. Our family is from lumber country. Everyone knows who makes the best beans.
There are just few ingredients in them. Onion, salt pork, salt and pepper (a tiny bit), dried mustard powder, molasses, brown sugar and the soaking liquid from the beans. You can use some maple syrup along with the brown sugar if you want to without ruining them. You must use pre-soaked navy beans. You save that water from soaking the beans and blend it in with the salt and pepper (a tiny bit), dried mustard powder, molasses and brown sugar. A proper beanpot helps to make sure they don't turn out like bullets.
When I make beans, I start them in the morning and cook them most of the day. You need to be there to add liquid to them as the beans absorb during cooking.
There, I gave my top secret recipe away.
This is about how I make them. The bean pot comment is dead on too. I use bacon ends instead of the salt pork. I haven't used mushrooms since I cannot eat them....really bad allergy stuff with mushrooms.

Back