Barnes 195 gr in .45 caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimA

Reaction score
Has anyone used the 195 grain Barnes in a .45 caliber. Yes I confess, I fell for the hype and bought a .45 Knight Disc Extreme before becoming familiar with these boards. :? I probably should have got the .50.

Jim

That .45 will probably shoot pretty good for you Jim. The BEST shooting .45 projectiles that I have found are the 225gr Powerbelt Aerotip, 275gr Powerbelt, 195 Barnes Expander, 175gr Knight Red Hot, and 200gr SST. Out of those...the 195gr Barnes Expander in generally the MOST accurate projectile!

Just stay away from the 195 PowerBelts... Great on paper... Terrible on game. ( with 3 pellets anyway )

Thanks guys. :) I was thinking of trying 100 gr. of 777 loose with the 195 Barnes expanders and 275 Powerbelts.

Jim

JimA said:
Thanks guys. :) I was thinking of trying 100 gr. of 777 loose with the 195 Barnes expanders and 275 Powerbelts.

Jim

Sounds good to me. You might even try 80gr loose with the Powerbelt and go up from there. I actually got the best groups with the 225gr Powerbelt Aerotip in my Disc Elite..

Doohan I have killed 8 deer in 3 years with 195's,7 fell dead ,one went 40 yards. 2 over 150 yards.
120 gr. clear shot.You are right, will not shot 3 pellets accurately.

Good news.. :?: I had a terrible first time experience with them... 3 pellets shot very good out of my .45 Optima Pro. Shot a deer with a 195 over 3 pellets in the lower shoulder at about 60yds and the 195 Powerbelt fragged and only a few fragments even made it into the chest cavity.. 2 hours later, I got my second shot...

Post mortem showed a bruised heart... near leg blown off... hanging by tendons. :(

Too fast, too close, wrong bullet placement ? I just dont care for them.. sorry..

I feel the bigger ones are a better choice.. I shoot and like the 348/405's in a few of my .50's

I'm going to 200 gr sst this year for safety resons in my 45's.I want a full saboted bullet. :roll:

smokit said:
I'm going to 200 gr sst this year for safety resons in my 45's.I want a full saboted bullet. :roll:

Whatcha mean safety reasons smokit :?:

My 45's are Tradition and cva's which have got some bad press on barrel strength.The 45 has a little thicker barrel than the 50 cal.which should make it a little stonger.Using bullet incased in sabot give you a little pressure safety valve over a full bore bullet.
I'm not afraid to shoot these guns,but I'm not going to use heavy bullets or over 120grain of powder any more.

Hey, that is good to hear. Just please stay away from 3 - 777 pellets and anything!

If you want some 195 powerbelts.. I'll send em to ya.. I think I have about 30 lying around..

PM me and I'll get them out to you .

JJ

Hey boys I sure am glad to hear good reports on the 195 Barnes MZ. I am hoping it will be my number one bullet in my soon to come .45

I have used these in my TC .45 Black Diamond. They are accurate and work OK on deer. I switched to Hornady SST 200 gr because the Hornady was just as accurate, much cheaper, and much easier to reload in the woods. I've killed deer with both, and don't see much difference in lethality.

smokit said:
My 45's are Tradition and cva's which have got some bad press on barrel strength.The 45 has a little thicker barrel than the 50 cal.which should make it a little stonger.Using bullet incased in sabot give you a little pressure safety valve over a full bore bullet.

You are certainly correct about the the thicker wall-- however, with the same load when you drop caliber pressures jump higher.

A sabot is no safety valve at all. :?

You are certainly correct about the the thicker wall-- however, with the same load when you drop caliber pressures jump higher.

This is the reason I'll not shoot mag loads in these guns anymore.

Back