.40 Caliber 195 Gr Barnes Expanders available from the Factory - June 21, 2023

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love opening a box and finding boxes of these bullets inside. The 195 Expander is my most used copper bullet.... the Optima pistol, the Kodiak .45 and now the .45 Patriot is going to be pushing these.

Thanks again for the heads up billyboy!

I ordered 4 boxes the other day and received my tracking # today. I hope they shoot as well as the old ones:cool:
They are some daggone expensive lil buggers.
I've never used a mono bullet in any gun I've ever owned. I do like the 100% weight retention though. But to use them to hunt with, one must have a good understanding of the velocity range in which they will function. I'm glad to finally see where a softer alloy copper is being used for them so they will open & perform even at the much slower muzzleloader velocity or at longer ranges where velocity slows down to 1000fps.
I've never really studied how a mono bullet transfers ke compared to a bonded lead cup & core bullet.

Natchez has them in stock now too, $26 per 24 and they’ve got a $5 flat rate shipping deal if you spend 100 bucks.
Thanks for the heads up on them. I have 2 pks of them in my cart on Barnes site for 28.00 a pk + 10.00 shipping.
I've never messed with mono's before in anything. I'm planning to test them out in my Accura after I switch out the sabots to LBCR's. I figure, if the gun doesn't like I can test some out in my .40 SML & see how that goes. I have no doubt that I can make them shoot accurately regardless of how I shoot them, my concern is their terminal performance bc I'm not familiar with that aspect of them.

I shot some of the 195s in a 50/40 sabot from my Optima pistol at 50 yards and they were very accurate. I may even try them on deer in the pistol this fall. Normally the gun uses 225 grain .44 cal XPBs. Just thinking of doing something different.

I was going to take a picture of the 1-1/8" group at 100 yards from this morning from the Patriot, but like a dipshit I must have left the target on the backer.

Last edited:
I switched to all copper Barnes bullets a few years ago to get ahead of all the anti-lead bullet crap flying around. I've never had a deer go more than maybe 30 yards. Shoot thrus on every deer except one of the two big does I got last fall and that bullet, an XPB 250 grain, entered just ahead of a front shoulder and was found a couple inches from the bung hole on the opposite side. Amazingly after taking the trip thru the paunch there was only one small breach in the gut. I have tagged some deer after taking a hit from the 195's shot from the .45 Kodiak and all of those deer dropped on the spot. I have a super amount of faith in the Barnes bullets and haven't got any desire to change. I was nervous though when every source for the 195 expanders came up a no go. I ordered Fury bonded 225 grain star tips in .40, but now with the .40 Expanders in hand [and in numbers] I'll be hunting those.

Does anyone Actually use the Supplied Tan Sabots? They have never fit any .45 Caliber barrels I’ve ever had. I miss the Old (75) Count Bulk Boxes without the Sabots. I have Hundreds of these if anybody wants them.

Does anyone Actually use the Supplied Tan Sabots? They have never fit any .45 Caliber barrels I’ve ever had. I miss the Old (75) Count Bulk Boxes without the Sabots. I have Hundreds of these if anybody wants them.
My knight original disc has a .453 bore and it loves the tan sabot but if I try the Harverster blue then it’s a no go.

Back