Barnes 290 Grain T-EZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
jsteurrys requested this bullet be tested. It was shot through carpet, plywood, water jugs, and into a phone book. Range was 25 yard. Load was 80g Blackhorn.

tez2.jpg

The photo shows the jugs in order as when they were smucked. First jug has a big tear, second jug was flattened, and jugs 3 & 4 have small tears around the entry/exit holes. The fifth jug has holes in and out, and the bullet penetrated near half way into the phone book, and was found on the ground where the book is sitting in the photo.

The bullet didn't expand much; it weighs 287 grain.

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

ronlaughlin said:
Yes, i agree; almost feel like repeating the test.

I'd like to see a repeat. I'll have to ask the wife how much a box of jello costs. I'd like to see a repeat of all the bullets tested shot through the same jugs, but filled with jello. I wonder what differences there may be.........

Anyone know what their ML bullets are made of? I thought it 'should' be pure copper -but one wonders after seeing results?
Anyone have a good way to test copper hardness??

Personal opinion : I think that sometimes the hollow point cuts a plug that fills it and they fail to open.
It may be this type of bullet requires hydraulic pressure to open and if the hollow point is plugged that does not happened I have heard of this problem happening on live animals also. That's why I chose not to use them.

ENCORE50A said:
ronlaughlin said:
Yes, i agree; almost feel like repeating the test.

I'd like to see a repeat. I'll have to ask the wife how much a box of jello costs. I'd like to see a repeat of all the bullets tested shot through the same jugs, but filled with jello. I wonder what differences there may be.........
We purchase the jugs filled with water, because we cannot drink enough to empty milk jugs or juice jugs or any jugs. Filling them with jello is out of the question. What i think i will do is repeat the 250 TEZ test as soon as weather allows. If it repeats itself, then i may repeat the 290 test. If the 250 test doesn't repeat, i will have to change the plywood, or something. .

No way do i believe this testing replicates shooting deer, but in some instances here, the results have been quite similar to results on deer. The important thing here is to be consistent; get repeatable results. Then one can compare the bullets with each other, as they go through the test. This testing cannot go on forever. It is cooling some here, and i am beginning to think about hunting. It was 53 this morning when the jugs were being broken, and the forecast is for more cooler weather, with rain. When it really cools i will want to shoot paper with my hunting rifle, and loads, before i go hunting.

Doing this testing, works for me right now, during the hot months, but when a steady cooling trend happens, i will only be shooting jugs part time.

I also can't help but wonder if using plywood/carpet might be causing some anomalies. I would think the plastic would serve as a double for the skin of an animal. Why not try the test with the bullet striking water jugs first.

Also why not pour some water out so that the jugs might not explode when the bullet passes through.

Don't you just love us second guessing your methods??

Interesting. I have been working up loads using a few different bullets, and all 3 rifles are doing well with the 290 T-EZ.

At the range I went and dug into the berm behind the targets, and found 2 of the Barnes mushroomed just perfectly in the dirt (couldn't find a lot of bullets; didn't have time). Given the many, many recommendation to use them on elk plus our own success using the TTSX in centerfire rifles I would tend to agree that the current test media may be only a fair facsimile to a deer or elk. That doesn't mean I don't very much enjoy seeing the results, but I'm not sure I would always write off one particular bullet based on what happens with carpet/plywood/jugs.

It would be interesting to see the test with just water jugs, or perhaps a piece of leather at most in front of jugs.

Can't shoot that bullet it's like 200 sst ! :nono: :lol: You think Hornady made that bullet and its a fake Barnes ?

Cost isn't the issue. Empty identical jugs are somewhat an issue. Time spent heating water, and filling jugs is definitely an issue, and it won't be done here.

txhunter58 said:
I also can't help but wonder if using plywood/carpet might be causing some anomalies. I would think the plastic would serve as a double for the skin of an animal. Why not try the test with the bullet striking water jugs first.

Also why not pour some water out so that the jugs might not explode when the bullet passes through.

Don't you just love us second guessing your methods??
Previous tests haven't seemed to reveal anomalies, at least to me. This particular test result seemed odd, but it very well may be. it isn't. We can't tell if there is an anomaly, without further testing. Hopefully, further testing will be more fun, and more informative. Second guessing is welcome, and helpful.

Changes in the method may or may not be made, depending on whether results can be repeated. A possible issue here is the materials have had to change as they have all been scraps found around the house. This test used a thicker plywood than before. It will be checked out using previously tested bullets, and results compared. Perhaps it will be necessary to purchase a full sheet of plywood, and use cuts off it for the tests. Perhaps cutting the plywood used here, in half, will be necessary. My hope was to use junk pieces that were laying around. Perhaps that isn't possible. If not, a full sheet can be found at the store. My goal is to be consistent. Perfectly replicating deer is not a goal. Providing comparisons between bullets is the goal.

I'm very surprised with the results with this Barnes bullet. This is not typical of the results you would expect from them. I have been doing bullet testing for center fire rifles and handguns for years. Your method works just fine and probably gives you about the same result that I get. I use 5 or six gallon buckets full of newspaper and the heavy brown paper bags you get from a grocery store. I compress these in the bucket and soak them until totally saturated with water. Put the lid on the bucket to keep everything inside. Lay the bucket on its side and shoot for center (lengthwise). You can pull the layers of paper out and the wound channel is visible the whole way through until you find the bullet, or sometimes what's left of it. What I have found with the Barnes bullets in 30 caliber is that I needed two buckets. After initial expansion, the bullet would continue to penetrate another 12-15 inches of material. I do all my testing at 75 yards because this is where some of that peak velocity starts to burn off so you don't get that explosive expansion like you do up close. It's also neat to see the same bullet from 75 yards perform at 200 yards. After you dig the bullet out. repack the material tightly back into the bucket making sure not to leave any loose or open spots to ruin the next test. My boys love digging out the bullets when we do this. It's really neat to see the wound channel. Some are very impressive!

Dan

I wouldnt fill jugs with the gel, just make a ~8" square by 2-3' mold and cast blocks. Ill try it next range day and see how it works.

Latest posts

Back