Barnes Triple-Shock X (TSX) Bullets 45-70 Caliber (458 Diameter)?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBAhunter

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the Barnes Triple-Shock X (TSX) Bullets 45-70 Caliber (458 Diameter) 300 Grain Flat Nose? I got a box of the 300s from a guy that was going to load them for his 45/70 but decided not to.

No but the best way to find out is just take them out and shoot them.. being a flat nose they should thump a deer pretty good if your gun likes them.

I'm going to see if they are accurate in my gun. I got some Harvester Crush ribs and going to get some MMP orange sabots to try. Just wanted to know if anybody had put one in animal and what their terminal performance was like?

It should work or at least the bullet should expand reliably at ML speeds. What you need to check is stability estimates. Use JBM or KWK calculators. There is a chance you may need to shoot that bullet kinda fast to be stable. I think it should if you can get to about 1900fps.

Length 1.048 is getting up there for a 1-28 50cal.

GM54-120 said:
It should work or at least the bullet should expand reliably at ML speeds. What you need to check is stability estimates. Use JBM or KWK calculators. There is a chance you may need to shoot that bullet kinda fast to be stable. I think it should if you can get to about 1900fps.

Length 1.048 is getting up there for a 1-28 50cal.
If I did it right, I picked 1600 fps (intentionally went low) to simulate a 56 gr (wt) load of BH209. I got
Stability
Input Data
Caliber: 0.458 in Bullet Weight: 300.0 gr
Bullet Length: 1.048 in Plastic Tip Length: 0.000 in
Muzzle Velocity: 1600.0 ft/s Barrel Twist: 28.0 in
Temperature: 59.0 °F Pressure: 29.92 in Hg
Output Data
Stability: 1.458 <<<<(highlighted green)
(went to 1100 fps is where it went yellow, 1150 fps was green)

Try it. If it seems a bit off go up in powder. KWK had options for different construction. The default is ok in a 1-31 but when you change it to copper the required twist changed to 1-28.

I looked at a couple of those bullets and the min expansion velocity had me concerned. From what I recall seeing it looked like about 1700ft was the min.? I think they get looked at as 45/70, to .458 socom bullet? But if you have them I would give them a try. I was looking to try them in my .52 cal Knight.

Browndogz said:
I looked at a couple of those bullets and the min expansion velocity had me concerned. From what I recall seeing it looked like about 1700ft was the min.? I think they get looked at as 45/70, to .458 socom bullet? But if you have them I would give them a try. I was looking to try them in my .52 cal Knight.
The e-mail I received from Barnes was 1100 fps was the minimum for both. (45/70 250 gr and 300 gr, .458 SOCOM 300 gr)

Ive shot the socom and used it on deer. Im pretty certain it expanded. This was shot from my 54-120 GM brush gun. Im fairly certain the fps was under 1900fps. Probably just a little over 1800fps.
jNvRAVX.jpg

BhR7hzK.jpg

Impact took place right about where the brown grass line is in that field
Dn92bgF.jpg

GM54-120 said:
Ive shot the socom and used it on deer. Im pretty certain it expanded. This was shot from my 54-120 GM brush gun. Im fairly certain the fps was under 1900fps. Probably just a little over 1800fps.
If you look at the load data for the 458 SOCOM, the velocity is similiar to a muzzleloader.

That is correct. Typical load data for that bullet would be right around 1800fps at the most. Although i like the bullet it can be a real PITA to get it to shoot well in sabots.

GM54-120 said:
That is correct. Typical load data for that bullet would be right around 1800fps at the most. Although i like the bullet it can be a real PITA to get it to shoot well in sabots.
Kinda looks like a Spit-Fire TMZ, except it has the rings cut in the shank.

Latest posts

Back