CVA rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've noticed that there are a few members here that have a strong distain for CVA products. From my perspective those members must be a bit unlucky. My first inline was a CVA Optima and I never had an issue with it. Being a sidelock guy for the most part I went and sold it. A few years later I purchased another CVA inline. This time an Accura V2. Stainless with camo stock. I still have it and it has taken a lot of game. MOA accuracy or slightly more on average with various 300 gr bullets.
My friend has a Wolf and his is also really accurate though not quite as accurate as my Accura.
Recently I had a hankerin to get into SML shoooting and one of the least expensive ways was a CVA Scout .45-70 conversion. I bought the takedown version and since I had several other 45-70s I thought I'd try it out before the conversion to see how accurate it was. I wasn't dissapointed. This rifle easily shot under MOA. I was so pleased with it that I decided to keep it as is and get another one for the conversion. I sent the barrel out to Hankins and when it came back I started sending rounds downrange with different bullets and charges of IMR4198. Out of all the different variations I shot the worse group was 5 shots in about 1.5". Several were just a tad over 1" but I settled on a load of 55 gr of IMR4198 and a 300 gr SST which shot under 1".
When I get back to PA I plan on trying some 275 gr Furys just to see it I can get it even tighter.
I like my Knights and Rem MLs but my CVAs aren't slouches by any means.

Well im jealous you have two scouts. You can't find those hardly right now in 45/70. With that said the scout will be the only other CVA I will ever own. My optima has left a still slightly sore taste in my mouth. I'm sure a good part is first muzzy blue's and learning curve yes.

CVA is certainly capable of making a great rifle, CVA however doesn't seem to be able to be trusted as far as their company goals and philosophy, the bore dimension engineering that went into the new 45s for the last three or four years in particular the paramounts and lack of quality control has hurt CVA ,I don't think there really worried about it ,I agree with shortys comments, they seem to have put most of their focus into their bolt action rifle,, all of the Acura 50 Cals that I have had the last 10 years have been great rifles, the Paramount and the recent other 45 Cal that I purchase were no good for me because of the oversized bores ,they would have been great if I shot their bullets ,which I will not. For me right now I will not buy a new CVA until they readjust the direction they are headed I would buy an older model from 4 or 5 years ago I think they're great rifles I guess it's easy for many of us to beat up on a particular gun company ,I sure don't mean to do that ,I don't want to not like CVA but I'm all about the big picture ,I'm sure that there are many who have individual 45 cals the last three or four years that are phenomenal ,don't mean to upset any of those or criticize but as a whole so many people have had problems with them ,,that is company Philosophy and that is a company choice, again very aggravating to me because I like CVA rifles and I like the Paramount but walking away from quality just to sell bullets has lost me.

I'm going to make this case and point and maybe never beat this dead horse again, at least my own Appaloosa version ,if you look at the 45-70 break actions they, seem to be in great demand, it is because they do not have the messed up bore,, CVA cannot sell you power bill bullets for your 45-70 cases otherwise I'm sure it would be the same and no one would be building smokeless muzzleloaders out of them.

CVA is certainly capable of making a great rifle, CVA however doesn't seem to be able to be trusted as far as their company goals and philosophy, the bore dimension engineering that went into the new 45s for the last three or four years in particular the paramounts and lack of quality control has hurt CVA ,I don't think there really worried about it ,I agree with shortys comments, they seem to have put most of their focus into their bolt action rifle,, all of the Acura 50 Cals that I have had the last 10 years have been great rifles, the Paramount and the recent other 45 Cal that I purchase were no good for me because of the oversized bores ,they would have been great if I shot their bullets ,which I will not. For me right now I will not buy a new CVA until they readjust the direction they are headed I would buy an older model from 4 or 5 years ago I think they're great rifles I guess it's easy for many of us to beat up on a particular gun company ,I sure don't mean to do that ,I don't want to not like CVA but I'm all about the big picture ,I'm sure that there are many who have individual 45 cals the last three or four years that are phenomenal ,don't mean to upset any of those or criticize but as a whole so many people have had problems with them ,,that is company Philosophy and that is a company choice, again very aggravating to me because I like CVA rifles and I like the Paramount but walking away from quality just to sell bullets has lost me.
I bought my first ML about 2 years ago and it was the MR-X .45. I had one hell of a ride trying to get it to group with THERE bullet. Finally I was able to find a bullet and combination that worked. Must shooters would have chucked it into the corner or try and send it back. As for the oversize bore, 2/3 down the barrel, you hit that on the head.

Last edited:
Back