barrel coatings and treatments ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
so there's blued and stainless steel and that seem obvious . and then there's nitride and knights DynaTek , Woodman Arms uses melonite on their Patriot and i'm sure there's others i'm oblivious to . are any of them superior to the others ? are any mostly marketing hype ? is something better than nothing ? which has potentially the longest and shortest life using shot counts ?

thanks , jeff

i was initially asking about what protects the rifling in the bore . but coatings protecting the exterior and action would be helpful to .

I have experience with blackice coating (2 Super 91 rifles), (870 Remington shotgun)and nitride barrel (CVA optima V2 rifle).
No issues with either!
They both are so nice for easy cleanup!
If I had to choose one, nitride would be it due to total barrel coverage.

FWIU ......
nitriding changes the structure of the surface of the metal and isn't a coating than can potientially flake off over time .

ATM i'm think CVAs combo of nitriding all the metal surfaces including in the barrel and then adding the cerakote to the exterior provides the most potiential protection from moisture and powder residue .

if melonite is like nitriding and not a surface coating that is a plus IMO .
i don't its impossible for a nitride treated gun to rust , but it is impressive looking .

Last edited:
I have a couple of very small spots where the nitrate has flaked off of barrel crown on my Accura MR. I believe it was like that when i received it. So small I did not warranty it. No rust and no effect on accuracy.

I'm new to this. I'm just learning about treatment for the inside of the bore. I'd like to rust proof the bores of several non chrome items I have.

Do these bore treatments require the barrel be removed from the receiver?

For the external surfaces I'm a big fan of Parkerizing and also Parkerizing and then Cerakote over the Parkerizing. I have a couple of items that are simply Parkerized and some that are additionally Cerakoated.

I'm new to this. I'm just learning about treatment for the inside of the bore. I'd like to rust proof the bores of several non chrome items I have.

Do these bore treatments require the barrel be removed from the receiver?

For the external surfaces I'm a big fan of Parkerizing and also Parkerizing and then Cerakote over the Parkerizing. I have a couple of items that are simply Parkerized and some that are additionally Cerakoated.
Nitriding can only be done to stainless steel, afaik. The DynaTek coating is something that Knight does to their barrels. Im sure there is someone doing a similar type coating.
It tool me a while to warm up to Parkerizing but it is a super durable coating for sure.
I do a little bit of powder coating on small parts myself, in the garage, in a cheap toaster oven.
Ive seen DIY Cerakote kits too. That looks like real good stuff. One of my ss Knights is Cerakoted dark green and i love it.

Been shooting one of Woodmans nitrided McGowen SML barrels for a couple months now. I really like the look of the matte nitride finish. As for rust/corrosion resistance, I’ve only shot smokeless in it. I did hunt with it in several days of snow storms. After the hunt there were a few very small specks of light rust starting on a few places on the blued action but nothing (as expected) on the nitrided barrel. Mark uses NCT in Maine for his nitriding:

https://www.northeastcoating.com/salt-bath

Last edited:
so there's blued and stainless steel and that seem obvious . and then there's nitride and knights DynaTek , Woodman Arms uses melonite on their Patriot and i'm sure there's others i'm oblivious to . are any of them superior to the others ? are any mostly marketing hype ? is something better than nothing ? which has potentially the longest and shortest life using shot counts ?

thanks , jeff
I'm having a competition barrel done in DuraCoat. I'll let you know how that goes after a year at the range.

Back