barrel coatings and treatments ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also says that those who choose to shoot smokeless should first contact Mark at Woodman. He's a very helpful individual and will likely suggest three or four smokeless powders that can be safe if used within reason. I'll let Mark make his suggestions. I have the Patriot with a 1:18 McGowan in .45 cal and will be shooting it smokeless. Very soon.

It also says that those who choose to shoot smokeless should first contact Mark at Woodman. He's a very helpful individual and will likely suggest three or four smokeless powders that can be safe if used within reason. I'll let Mark make his suggestions. I have the Patriot with a 1:18 McGowan in .45 cal and will be shooting it smokeless. Very soon.
9CC35A09-C805-44D7-9610-F278C0624717.jpeg

i wouldn't do smokeless myself . but if it's capable of even milder charges of smokeless powder is that an indicator of being a better designed gun ? or built with better/stronger materials ? or better heat treatments ?

i wouldn't do smokeless myself . but if it's capable of even milder charges of smokeless powder is that an indicator of being a better designed gun ? or built with better/stronger materials ? or better heat treatments ?
Yes stronger barrel. For me, all else being equal, a barrel and plug system capable of light smokeless loads would be preferable to one only rated for subs. Higher safety margin if nothing else.

Been shooting one of Woodmans nitrided McGowen SML barrels for a couple months now. I really like the look of the matte nitride finish. As for rust/corrosion resistance, I’ve only shot smokeless in it. I did hunt with it in several days of snow storms. After the hunt there were a few very small specks of light rust starting on a few places on the blued action but nothing (as expected) on the nitrided barrel. Mark uses NCT in Maine for his nitriding:

https://www.northeastcoating.com/salt-bath
Thanks for posting that link - I see they have a mid west sales office. Next year I'll be sending a barreled action off to be nitrided.

Back