Barrels under 22 inches?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlink

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Mulling around the option of having a second 700ml converted to smokeless with the intent of it being more suite for the woods/tree stand or for my kids to shoot. I was able to find a velocity test previously done on Doug's board where they cut an inch off and tested from 25 down to 13in I believe. Looking at his tests the loss in velocity wouldn't be a deterrence. While thinking this would be more for sabot loads. Thoughts? Has anyone went down this path? I like the way my 1895 Guide guns handle at 18.5 inches but leaning towards 20 inches. TIA

Mine's not smokeless but a CVA Mountain Stalker rifle, 50 caliber. Originally a 26 inch barrel, which was kinda rough shape.
I had the barrel cut to 19 inches, recrowned and new dovetail slot cut.
I haven't shot it past 50 yards but it does pretty good up close.
It only weighs a bit over 5 pounds. A handy little gun for the stand. 20230118_112134.jpg

New england firearms/H&R made most of there single shot rifles 22" barrels. They are nice & "Handi" short guns. I even prefer the 12 gauge packing in the turkey woods. Short & light.

I also have a converted NEF Handi rifle 45-70 has a short bbl. I shoot H4540B sabots n 200 gr XTP from it. I usually use 31-32 gr of 4759 powder. I have not shot a deer over 70 yds with mine, but i am sure it would not have any trouble stepping on out killing them tick toters

There is very little loss in a 20" barrel. For short range and convenience I wouldn't be concerned about going shorter. A short pistol barrel will kill deer if the bullet is properly places.

Back