Bear Lights Out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw this bow at a local pawn shop and went over it real good. No limb cracks, string and cables in great shape. I really don't think it was shot much. Its the entire package, bow, quiver, sights, peep, drop away rest. All for only $80! I've been shooting a crossbow for the past several years but I thought for this price I should buy it as a back up. I still have carbon arrows laying around to shoot out of it. I'll probably have to tune it up but it being a single cam that should be a snap. What you think.

Where's a photo of it? And have you shot it yet?

I didn't buy it yet. I'm waiting for someone to tell me what they think of them.
Don't know anything about this particular bow... I went back to trad bows in 1998, and haven't shot a compound since. But... you can't hardly go wrong for $80, unless there's something wrong with the bow. Might be a good idea to take a bag target and some arrows back to the shop and see if they'll let you shoot the bow before you buy it, though.

I've been shooting bows for about 65 years. Killed my first deer, an 8 pt, with a Bear Grizzly 40# recurve and fiberglass arrows with Bear Razorheads. Switched to a compound several years after they came out and hunted with them for a long time. Getting up in age I now hunt with a crossbow and still shoot my 45# recurve occasionally for fun but I don't think I'm proficient enough to hunt with it anymore. I sold off my compounds but thought for $80 it would be a nice little bow to have on hand as a back up in case something happens to my crossbow.
I was looking for any insight. This is a neat little bow and may be a good purchase. Heck, the accessories are probably worth the $80. I may just head on up and get it soon, if they still have it.

Not familiar with thay particular bow but when. I googled it, I saw that the ready to shoot package went for $569. 80 bucks seems like a steal and you could probably sell it for more if you don't end up using it.

I've been shooting bows for about 65 years. Killed my first deer, an 8 pt, with a Bear Grizzly 40# recurve and fiberglass arrows with Bear Razorheads. Switched to a compound several years after they came out and hunted with them for a long time. Getting up in age I now hunt with a crossbow and still shoot my 45# recurve occasionally for fun but I don't think I'm proficient enough to hunt with it anymore. I sold off my compounds but thought for $80 it would be a nice little bow to have on hand as a back up in case something happens to my crossbow.
I was looking for any insight. This is a neat little bow and may be a good purchase. Heck, the accessories are probably worth the $80. I may just head on up and get it soon, if they still have it.
Except for the crossbow, we are just about peas in a pod: Mom and Dad gave me my first Sears & Roebuck 20 lb fiberglass recurve archery set for Christmas sixty years ago, and I've been shooting bows ever since. There were a few years between high school and returning from my last Army deployment (Korea) at about age 32 when I didn't have much time or opportunity for archery, but since then I've shot a bow nearly every day when the weather has been OK, or when I had access to an indoor range. Since coming back from Korea I've done most of my big game hunting with bows. I switched to a compound with sights in 1989, but could never get used to shooting with a release aid. Don't have anything against them, but for me, shooting with a release aid just ain't archery. So when compound bows started getting too short to shoot with fingers, along about 1998, I went back to recurves.

For the last six years or so I've been shooting one of the so-called "super recurves" with limbs that are made from specially woven carbon fiber material which is much stiffer in torsion for a given stiffness in a simple bend. That allows the limbs to have a much deeper recurve than can be achieved with laminated fiberglass, and can therefore be designed to have a much higher pre-load, and a force-draw curve which flattens out as the archer reaches full draw. Some of the most advanced super recurves actually have just a little bit of let-off as the archer reaches full draw. Super recurves therefore store much more energy for the same draw weight than can be achieved with a conventional recurve: I shoot recurves which draw about 53 lbs at my draw length (28 1/2 inches), and my best conventional recurve shooting 540 grain arrows delivers about 34 ft-lbs of energy at that draw length and weight. With my super recurve at the same draw length and weight, I can get somewhat higher arrow speeds and 46 ft-lbs of arrow energy with 675 grain arrows. Nothing comes for free, though: super recurves are very unforgiving of inconsistencies in shooting form, and are therefore difficult to shoot well. However, I've finally mastered mine to the extent that I'm confident enough to take shots at game out to 20 yards under most conditions, and out to 30 yards if I'm shooting well and the shot conditions are favorable.

In 2019 I stalked and killed a nice mulie buck in the extremely open, steep, and rugged lower end of Hell's Canyon with my super recurve. Getting the meat out required climbing 500 vertical feet up to a ridge top, and then carrying it 2 miles out and 2000 vertical feet down. Got the buck boned and packed out in one day, which made me realize that I'm still capable of hunting in places like that. Now that I've located half a dozen elk hotspots within 3 hours or so of my new home in Montana, I'm hoping to kill an elk with the super recuve in 2024. Came close in 2023, but a shifty little breeze decided otherwise just as a herd of elk were about 5 yards from being in range.

I think you're right, if there's nothing wrong with the little Bear bow that you found, and if it's the right draw length and weight for you, you can hardly go wrong for $80.

Last edited:
WP IMO there is nothing more graceful and simpler in the archery world than a recurve bow. I was on a bison hunt several years ago and we were hunting with compounds. After a day or two one of the guys uncased a gorgeous recurve. If memory serves me it was a Damon Howitt (spelling?). He was shooting it at a clump of grass about 4" in diameter at 20 or so yards and hitting all around it. I was watching him and he said he thought there was something wrong with the bow. Being the eldest and one with the most experience shooting recurves he asked me to try it. Well you know how it is. Yes being really good with a recurve takes practice but also, a lot of it is natural hand eye coordination.
I happily obliged and sunk 2 arrows back to back in the grass. Handed it back to him and said. Seems OK to me! The other 2 guys laughed their butts off.

Last edited:
I was a died in wool archery shooter until a shoulder injury put the kabosh on it. I started with a long bow when I was 10 (1969), graduated to a recurve when I was 15. I really didn't kill much until the 80s. Took a lot of game with an archery buddy of mine. Bought my first compound in 1988. Shot both recurves and compounds until 2007. I had to start shooting with a release in 1990 because I cut my index finger on a Broadhead about two weeks before now season. Currently shooting a crossbow and wondering where is the thrill of this. I am thinking of buying a 30lb recurve to try and start up again. My furthest deer with a compound was 32 yards and my closest was 8 feet. You can see a deers heart beat at 8 feet. My biggest game animal was a whitetail that went 240lb live weight at 12 yards.

WP79Vet- those 600+ grain arrows are telephone poles. 😉 I envy you being able to chase elk.

Bronko, I visit a lot of yard sales and see archery equipment going way cheaper than it is worth. The components in some bow cases are worth more. Grab that bow.

Update: I decided to go up and buy it. I gave it a real good inspection and found no cracks or frays in the string or cables. Price was $79.99. Included with the bow is a string peep, whisker biscuit rest (which I'll likely replace), 3 pin fiber optic sight, and 6 arrow quiver. I took it off the rack and walked up to the counter and ask "what's the best you can do on this?" The guy did some looking and said $70 cash, tax included. I said OK and he said wait there is a case with it. Turns out it came with a soft case, a TruFire release and a tube of string wax. Great deal. The release is $65 alone, and the whisker biscuit is about $40, the quiver, even a chepo is $15, and the sight no less than $30. That's $165 conservatively for just the accessories.

Attachments

• 20240219_170643.jpg
    20240219_170643.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240219_170628.jpg
    20240219_170628.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
New peep and a D loop and off you go!
Yeah I'll stop by a shop not far from me tomorrow and get some cording for a D loop, a new peep and a couple arrows and field tips. The peep on it would need a new rubber and I don't really care for that type.
I'll stop by Lowes and get a couple bags of mulch for a target/backstop and play with it a while. I have all kinds of targets back up north.

I was a died in wool archery shooter until a shoulder injury put the kabosh on it. I started with a long bow when I was 10 (1969), graduated to a recurve when I was 15.
Almost identical story here. At last count I have over a dozen bows in storage. They start with a Bear recurve and end with an early single cam target bow. All were $20 to $50 and collected over a few decades from pawn shops and thrift stores.

I shot compounds with fingers and glove off a simple rest for years. I really miss the relaxation of "right brain" bare bow shooting. Scoped crossbows are a functional substitute but don't give the pleasure of an afternoon target or stump shooting with a recurve. JMHO.

Almost identical story here. At last count I have over a dozen bows in storage. They start with a Bear recurve and end with an early single cam target bow. All were $20 to $50 and collected over a few decades from pawn shops and thrift stores.

I shot compounds with fingers and glove off a simple rest for years. I really miss the relaxation of "right brain" bare bow shooting. Scoped crossbows are a functional substitute but don't give the pleasure of an afternoon target or stump shooting with a recurve. JMHO.
Back when I was younger and went stump shooting prior to carbon arrows, I lost many a cedar, and later, aluminum arrows to rotten stumps that weren't really all that rotten!

Back when I was younger and went stump shooting prior to carbon arrows, I lost many a cedar, and later, aluminum arrows to rotten stumps that weren't really all that rotten!
As long as inserts are firmly glued in so that they don't get driven back into the shaft, I've found carbon heavy arrows to be much more durable than aluminums. None of the super glues that I used for inserts would stand up to impact with not-all-that-rotten stumps (and the rocks, live trees, etc that inevitably stop errant shafts from time to time....), but so far every insert/arrow that I've cleaned and prepped thoroughly and glued together with JB Weld orignal epoxy has survived many high-impact stump shots. The 24 hour cure time can be frustrating, but the slow setup time of JB Weld Original (about an hour) has the advantage of allowing me to find the angular orientation of insert and shaft which has the least wobble before the epoxy sets up.

As long as inserts are firmly glued in so that they don't get driven back into the shaft, I've found carbon heavy arrows to be much more durable than aluminums. None of the super glues that I used for inserts would stand up to impact with not-all-that-rotten stumps (and the rocks, live trees, etc that inevitably stop errant shafts from time to time....), but so far every insert/arrow that I've cleaned and prepped thoroughly and glued together with JB Weld orignal epoxy has survived many high-impact stump shots. The 24 hour cure time can be frustrating, but the slow setup time of JB Weld Original (about an hour) has the advantage of allowing me to find the angular orientation of insert and shaft which has the least wobble before the epoxy sets up.
WP you know you can buy a tool that trues up the arrow end and face of the insert? Its really not that expensive.
I do all the work on my bows myself. I have a Last Chance Archery bow press and a cut off saw plus a bunch of other tools.

Back