Bedding Job for a Whitetail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocomike

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Whitetail that appears to have a slightly bent recoil lug. I understand this issue is a relatively well known occurrence with these White rifles and that the "fix" is to bed them. Will I need to replace the lug or straighten it before bedding? As for the bedding process helping with this design shortcoming; the only obvious additional feature on the action appears to be the "socket' which the sole action screw threads into. I am thinking that one would use this protrusion, which is welded to the action, as an additional lug, to help distribute recoil load. Am I on the right track here?

If you can do both I would do it. I just had the same thing done to my grandsons Whitetail by Bob Bowers aka Super91 who is a fellow DWB. Bob did a fantastic job on it. I don't know if he is looking for additional work but you could email him and ask or find a local gunsmith.

edmehlig said:
If you can do both I would do it. I just had the same thing done to my grandsons Whitetail by Bob Bowers aka Super91 who is a fellow DWB. Bob did a fantastic job on it. I don't know if he is looking for additional work but you could email him and ask or find a local gunsmith.
Are you suggesting replace or straighten the existing lug? I intend to do the bedding myself, but thanks for the referral.

If you want, see if the glass bedding prevents the existing recoil lug from bending worse. It it does, you know what action you need to take. I've always replaced mine.

edmehlig said:
If you want, see if the glass bedding prevents the existing recoil lug from bending worse. It it does, you know what action you need to take. I've always replaced mine.

I appreciate your opinion. Would you mind posting a picture of the bedding job you had done on your grandson's rifle?

Thanks! Is that an accommodation for a second action screw I see to the rear of the trigger inletting?

Another DWB that does a great job of glass bedding (I know cuz he did mine!) is batchief. I had a similar problem with my Super 91 and his bedding job solved it completely. Sorry chief if I'm bragging ya into some work :shock:

JStanley said:
Another DWB that does a great job of glass bedding (I know cuz he did mine!) is batchief. I had a similar problem with my Super 91 and his bedding job solved it completely. Sorry chief if I'm bragging ya into some work :shock:

are you saying that your Super 91 was bending the recoil lug? And thanks for the suggestion..

nocomike said:
JStanley said:

are you saying that your Super 91 was bending the recoil lug? And thanks for the suggestion..
Yes sir I am. Here is an example:

GlassbeddingSuper91.jpg

Forgive the dirt, those pics were taken right after a range session when I discovered the bent lug. When the chief was finished with the bedding job, there is ZERO movement in the barreled action now.

JStanley said:
nocomike said:
JStanley said:

Yes sir I am. Here is an example:

GlassbeddingSuper91.jpg

Forgive the dirt, those pics were taken right after a range session when I discovered the bent lug. When the chief was finished with the bedding job, there is ZERO movement in the barreled action now.
I appreciate the heads-up that you had similar experience regarding the lug on your Super 91. I have a "new to me" 91 that I will be looking at very closely this evening. I was going to bed it eventually, but hearing of your situation will move that project to the front of the line. Thanks for the pics, as well.

Check and see what lug you have . You might not have to unless you have a blade lug like that rather than the big square lug

1874sharpsshooter said:
Check and see what lug you have . You might not have to unless you have a blade lug like that rather than the big square lug

I checked and my S 91 has the blade type lug. The good news is that it appears to be straight, which agrees with the overall condition of the rifle as it appears to have seen little use. I guess S 91 is firmly at the front of the line for my next bedding project. I am glad this issue was brought to my attention before the heavy lead slinging commenced!

Back