Big Bore Elk Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCS

Reaction score
I just finished my "Big Bore Elk Rifle", a 73 cal. Underhammer!

It has a Curly Maple Stock, with a 2" wide Early Lancaster Buttplate.

The 'receiver' is of my own design.

The barrel is a rifled .729 diameter. [12ga.] 1 1/8 at the breech tapering to 1" and is 27"s long. Orion custom made me this light weight.

The thimble and grip is made from 'brass tubing', also the cover for the front [voo-doo] sight.

Ram rod is a full 1/2".

Total weight is 8#s.

Loads: 190 grains of FF will push a 550 grain Round Ball 1400 fps.

You can see the rest of the pictures on my 'black powder page' at:
http://webpages.charter.net/fam-strick/web/index.htm

73Receiver.jpg

Receiver with temporary rear sight.

You have to be careful, and check them often, cause they seem to be multiplying!

Loads: 190 grains of FF will push a 550 grain Round Ball 1400 fps.

Ouch. :shock: 2394 Ft/lbs muzzle energy and 109.55 ft/lbs Recoil energy with 29.70 fps recoil velocity. Hope you have a good recoil pad.

A pad, what kind of sissy would use a pad on a muzzleloader? I might have one, just maybe! :twisted:

I do on my 7ga. , a 1000 grain RB at 1100 fps.

I've been curious. Do the underhammer rifles loose caps a lot? One would think that would be the case. I have sure looked at a website enough, I believe it was Blue Grouse, about the underhammers. I thought of a .62 caliber but then decided I wanted to stick with rock locks.

I would bet that is a lot of fun to shoot. And with the design they would be very water proof if you consider their construction.

My only big bore so far is a .58 caliber rifle and a .62 caliber smoothbore. Both are a lot of fun to shoot. I intend on taking a deer with the smoothbore this year. I have to get close, because after about 40 steps, you get flyers. 40 steps and closer, the smoothbore is very accurate and has lots of power. It only shoots a 324 grain roundball, but with 80 grains of Goex 3f under it, that seems to have a lot of pop to it...

Beautiful rifle by the way. And an most interesting load to say the least...

In over 20 years, I have never had a cap fall off. If they are loose, I just give them a pinch. [target practice]

When they get smashed too many times, the tend to grow. I jut file them back down to size. That is the only time that I get misfires, is when the cap gets to tight and you have to double cock it!

But when hunting, I always use a good fitting nipple.

Latest posts

Back