First of many days with the 50 cal fast twist smokeless trying to establish Harvester smooth or ribbed?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got some desert island bullets I had some 275 star tips but I didn't have any 250s now, the other 250s that I have put in the gun the SST and the smackdown have shot excellent ,well under Moa this is the 250 black tip Fury 8 shots just about as quick as I can reload and shoot not letting the barrel really cool much in between shots ,they started roaming a little bit the first four or five were really good again the 22 twist is doing excellent with light bullets I don't know what more could be asked. This is 59 grains of IMR 4198 sticking with the same charge I don't know if I'm keeping count I'll have to go back and check records this is around the 11th or 12th pull it that is shooting less than Moa I'm not really sure if other people had these results a long time ago with the 50 cal Savage rifles 160 rounds into this gun it is amazingly forgiving with a lot of bullets but I am sticking to my charge 59 grains I did tweak a little bit the day I shot out at 300 I went to 59.3 that was with the 325 pitmans and it shot a half inch at 300 yards I think that was just a good day this doesn't look that good as some of the other groups but for just shooting quick as I can get loaded back to back eight shots in a row it's pretty impressive I know I pulled that bottom right one the other seven were pretty good there's a couple of those in the same hole hope to do a little 400 grain Fury and 400 grain Northern precision shooting maybe the next couple of days about the only bullet left I will shoot is a 275 Fury black tip I started with a 275 Fury star tip I will wrap up kind of the preliminary shooting study on this around 200 rounds and go ahead and jump to the 20 twist Barrel soon I will come back to this Barrel this Barrel has me excited and it has me very curious also I really like what I have found with the 59 grain load and multiple bullets I want to see that in two or three other barrels before I really get on my soapbox Arkansas air is good today!

Attachments

• 20240213_150331.jpg
    20240213_150331.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Beautiful day here in Southwest Arkansas got a wind blowing from 4:00 to 11:00 up in down in the speed but not real bad just enough to mess with me some I'm shooting at 300 yards with the new 300 grain Fury with the light green tip I've shot it earlier at a hundred yards I shot a really great group with a 325 Pittman I wanted to try a little bit of 300 yard work with this 300 grain Fury this is four shots these are 1-in squares on the target this is at 300 yards again this is my load that I've been shooting 59 grains of IMR 4198 a little bit under 2 in I would feel very comfortable sitting in a deer stand with this if the wind lays just a little bit I'll try to reach on out to 400 tomorrow with something but I continue to be very impressed with the barrel with Woodman arms work and with the 22 twist 50 cal smokeless

Attachments

• 20240214_143415.jpg
    20240214_143415.jpg
    911.4 KB · Views: 0
I should have mentioned and I know if you've been keeping up it was the Harvester black short smooth sabot and that is a 452 Fury, newer bullet with a little bit longer profile, with the green tip, I don't know if it's on his site it does very well Smokeless in a fast twist with plastic.

Set up to shoot at 400 yd today and wouldn't you know the wind picked up, that's always the case, still no excuse is it matter of fact it's better to get out in the middle of it ,I had 2, 325 Fury accumax left I went ahead and sent them down range at 400 and then after that I shot three of the 300 grain Fury Green tip longer bullet that I posted yesterday a little bit over 3 in just barely on the fury 300 grain still holding less than MOA at 400 yards and I'm going to have to order some 325 grain accumax I won't tell Kyle what I'm doing with them, I'll keep it under the plastic radar,, two shots on the left for the accumax 325 again in the Harvester black short smooth three bullets on the right where the fury 300 grain green tip same plastic same charge 59 grains of IMR 4198 and yes this was shot at laser range 400 yd

Attachments

• 20240215_134539.jpg
    20240215_134539.jpg
    913.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240215_151019.jpg
    20240215_151019.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
I have not done anything but set down and shoot no velocity checks no elevation dope figuring nothing I'm shooting the reticle of a 3.5 to 10 power i o r Tactical mill.scope I'm just using the reticle this happens to be the fourth little substention I'm sorry what you're asking is important but not right now for now just seeing what it will do in the accuracy Department I've never been 400 yards with a 50 cal smokeless before or even any of my 50 cal it we'll go 400

Will come back eventually for a second round of experimenting that will focus more on velocity and drop really just looking for accuracy and new things new ideas new loads

Set up to shoot at 400 yd today and wouldn't you know the wind picked up, that's always the case, still no excuse is it matter of fact it's better to get out in the middle of it ,I had 2, 325 Fury accumax left I went ahead and sent them down range at 400 and then after that I shot three of the 300 grain Fury Green tip longer bullet that I posted yesterday a little bit over 3 in just barely on the fury 300 grain still holding less than MOA at 400 yards and I'm going to have to order some 325 grain accumax I won't tell Kyle what I'm doing with them, I'll keep it under the plastic radar,, two shots on the left for the accumax 325 again in the Harvester black short smooth three bullets on the right where the fury 300 grain green tip same plastic same charge 59 grains of IMR 4198 and yes this was shot at laser range 400 yd
I see 5 rounds in the right target?????

You using a level????

No level the scope is very clean but it's still a little Limited I have a big 32 Power Scope I'm sitting there using as a spotting scope so I know where each round is hitting the last three rounds are in the center of the target I adjusted my hold after the bottom too that are spread out I was ignoring wind and I should not have been anyway I made a slide adjustment and shot the last three again they're not as good as a 325 Pitman but not bad

I need to start using a spotting Target to the right of my main target at 400 and make sure I put my spotting rounds into the right hand side, I'm fixing to switch barrels to a faster twist and do a quite a bit more work at 300 and 400 I'll make sure that I have a right hand spotting target and a left hand group target which I should have been doing anyway, I hope to shoot the 400 grain furys the next couple of days before I pull that barrel still not sure what powder and load, I'll probably change the imr4198 I may just drop down and shoot a somewhat stiff Blackhorn load.

I've been shooting 20 and then breaking everything down and cleaning shooting 20 breaking down and cleaning I had my last 6 modules this morning I decided to try some of the 400 grain furys and varget, I have shot this bullet in 45 Cal smokeless sized with Varget so I went right back to the same place I did start with 54 grains instead of 55 but I did with the 45 Cal recoil was so much nicer than 4198 it showed a little potential at 54, couple of bullets beside each other and one about an inch and a half off the group I got up and went and looked at the inch and a half off the group plastic and notice it really hadn't opened up, the base hadn't swelled to my content, which made me wonder even more about that shot being off the first two, anyway I went ahead and bumped charge up to 56 grains shot another three again I ran into the same problem I put two bullets beside each other and one off of the two and again I got up and went and looked at the plastic and noticed the same thing I'm going to clean the plug in the barrel and see if on a fresh plug I get a little bit hotter flame and go back to the Varget some I would love to get a 400 grain bullet shooting less than an inch in this rifle another thing I think that would be helpful if I went from the short plastic to the long, and I realize the market would like maybe 10 grains of something hot or under it I'm just going to do what I can to avoid duplexing for the time being

First time today shooting n-110 I was shooting the fury 250 grain 452 with the black tip in a harvester smooth short I started at 32 grains shooting three shot groups I worked up to 37 ,sure is easier on the shoulder than 4198 ,very comfortable to get up behind and shoot, all of my groups are right at an inch from the 32 grain group all the way up to the 37 I find that very puzzling, the groups ,,I could not get the group to suck on up and get tight ,,very uniform you almost would have thought all of the groups came from one charge ,,one thing I've noticed the base of the sabot doesn't fill out the same as it does with 4198 ,I cannot get it to swell the same ,and that may not be a bad thing ,it just looks different, I stopped at 37 gr today the plastic was okay, I may try tomorrow or the next few days before I pull the Barrel to shoot 38,see if I can tighten group.

I pulled the 22 twist Barrel this morning replaced it with a 20, about to start the same exercise over again just with the 20 instead of the 22, I will try to do a short summary here soon of the 22 twist, might as well call it the fury bullet barrel ,it shoots every bullet that Dennis makes less than Moa that is impressive, it has also shot the SST and shock waves both 250 grain and 300 grain less than Moa. I really did not expect the results I got with the long Pitman 325 shooting with plastic at the same time that's kind of been the most fascinating bullet and accuracy results so far, again I find faster twist barrels to be plastic friendly and to shoot lighter bullets much better than bullet charts would give them credit for, I sure am convinced after 3 weeks with the Twist and shooting 50 cal smokeless that it has so much potential, all of that was started in the past with the Savage and other rifles there's just so much more I think to add to the base of information we already have and there's so many new bullets today one other aspect that I really again am excited about is the 59 grains of IMR 4198 shooting every single bullet I tried less than MOA with no tweaking I don't really have an explanation so much for that just as I don't have a technical explanation of my 57 grain load that I'm so wound up about in 45s I do not know yet if this 59 grain load is going to be constant in many other barrels the way my 45 grain load is if it is the world will never shut me up

First groups with the 20 twist Same rifle defiance anti Gonna shoot the same bullets for the most starting today with the fury 275 black tip after installing Barrel the first shot was down on the right on the target bottom I moved to scope some enough and started a little group in the middle you see the bullets that was 59 grains of 4198 the same load that I was shooting in the 22 twist it looked like it had some potential but I decided to spend a little bit of time with 59 work up maybe or work down Etc the group on the left Center Road is 59.3 the group in the center is 59.5 sure seeing the same potential if I end up at 60 grains instead of 59 I'm okay with that or if I end up at 59.5 is kind of a sweet spot I'm okay with that the 59.5 is looking good black Harvester short slick all shooting is at 100 yards for the most part unless specified other weather is excellent today good conditions temperature around 48° I think

Attachments

• 20240218_145858.jpg
    20240218_145858.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
20 twist 50 cal smokeless, Harvester black, 58.5 grains of IMR 4198 this is seven shots today with a fury 250 five of them are in a pretty good group with some holes into the hole thing those top two got away from me one thing that I really like both barrels like to put a clean barrel first shot into the group and cold barrel first shot into the group as a matter of fact usually it's almost in the same hole, it does seem like the plastic is tuned good increasing speed on twist doesn't seem two of affected the potential for accuracy with us this particular lighter weight bullet I'll try to shoot some smackdowns or SST the next day or two in the 250 grain Department still my goal is to stay focused on the 275 to 400s I just want to see what it does on the bottom end and what it does well

Attachments

• 20240219_141055.jpg
    20240219_141055.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I paused and did a little bit of ladder testing up and down off of 59 and again so far the same sweet spot is with both bullets the 250 and the 275 I'm shooting a 300 grain with the same charge just to see if that is constant and I will go straight to that charge just because that reality,, that fact is messing with me, on probably the rest of the bullets again I really believe it's a plastic tune place.

The 20 and the 22 twist both shoot n110 good, however they shoot IMR 4198 better, this 50 cal fast twist set of barrels both shoot Fury bullets very well, especially the 22 twist I'm trying to focus a little bit more on the 325 to 400 category with the 20 just because of the increasing twist,because I'm curious about that, but out of the gate it shoots light bullets like the fury 250 and 275 almost as good as the 22 not quite but very close. I've shot almost every Fury bullet made in the 22 twist and it's really hard to believe they're almost all MOA and less really averaging more 3/4 MOA in the 22 twist but only with 4198 another thing that's a little curious to me I couldn't get n110 to tune the way I thought it would by just going up or down on the charge it was as if anywhere from 32 to 37 which is where I stopped for the most part all the groups almost look the same which was very odd to me I have sr4759 I haven't tried it in the 20 twist Barrel yet I will do that too really there's still so much follow up to do trying to wrap up things with 200 rounds through each Barrel still about 160 to go in the 20. I make every effort in my own shooting to stay in the mild to medium range on pressures and velocities I wanted to make sure anyone reading this understands that these charges are safe in the rifles that I'm shooting them in ,and that doesn't necessarily mean that they are in anyone else's. These loads and this experimenting is all being done with a strong bolt action rifle and a full bull barrels.

Latest posts

Back