Blackhorn 209 cleaning ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isaac_62 said:
Is there a certain procedure to follow when prepping a new barrel? Products to use?

I like to scrub the snot out of a new barrel even if its spotless. Then i run 25-50 passes of JB bore shine and clean it again. Store with a light amount of Montana Extreme bore conditioner. Really tight or rough bores might get another round of JBs after a range session.

GM54-120 said:
Isaac_62 said:
Is there a certain procedure to follow when prepping a new barrel? Products to use?

I like to scrub the snot out of a new barrel even if its spotless. Then i run 25-50 passes of JB bore shine and clean it again. Store with a light amount of Montana Extreme bore conditioner. Really tight or rough bores might get another round of JBs after a range session.

Exactly the same here too!

Isaac_62 said:
Do you use the brush or always a patch?

Both. Wet down with patch and solvent, use wet brush, then a couple wet patches to remove loose debris or fouling, dry patch the bore and treat with Montana Extreeme Bore conditioner.

Not quite a cleaning question but, is tape and/or grease on the breech plug needed? BH web site says no, but is that just a marketing gimmick?

mjac said:
Not quite a cleaning question but, is tape and/or grease on the breech plug needed? BH web site says no, but is that just a marketing gimmick?

Depends on the rifle and type of breech plug. I shoot BH in my KRB7 and I do wrap the plug with tape. Some of the plugs like the one in new CVAs (If I recall correctly) that you need to use a tool to fully seat the plug the first time (then turns out by hand after that) supposedly don't need anything. I am not sure about the plugs that have the sealing rings on them.

Knight Elite and Lehigh plug w/removable vent = zero blow back. Haven't tried without tape, just wondering.

mjac said:
Knight Elite and Lehigh plug w/removable vent = zero blow back. Haven't tried without tape, just wondering.

For two years now I have been just putting CLP oil on the breech plug and it has been fine. No tape or grease...Just CLP. And I have the Lehigh BP in all three of my Knight DISC Extremes.

smyrnagc said:
mjac said:

For two years now I have been just putting CLP oil on the breech plug and it has been fine. No tape or grease...Just CLP. And I have the Lehigh BP in all three of my Knight DISC Extremes.

Cool! Thanks. I'll give it a try next time out.

Latest posts

Back