Blackhorn and RWS #11 caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarpicva

Reaction score
Anyone try these with any success?

I am toying with buying a Dixie Hawken kit...and I love Blackhorn.

The side lock is not set up to shoot BlackHorn 209. No matter what anyone tells you. BlackHorn needs an extreme IN LINE flame source, like a 209 primer. It also needs a closed breech system. One reason the plunger guns are not recommended. Also in most sidelocks the fire channel through the bolster/drum is just too small to let blackhorn ignite.

There is a chance if you duplex the load. Meaning dump 10-20 grains of black powder down the bore first. Then blackhorn. That way the cap could ignite the black powder which in turn MIGHT ignite the black horn. But doing this, you gain nothing with Black Horn powder. The rifle simply is not mean to shoot it.

If you want to shoot BlackHorn, stick with a modern inline rifle with the correct action and breech plug. If you want to shoot a sidelock, then you just have to shoot a sidelock like it was intended to be shot.

I knew I could count on you cayuga. Sidelock answer man!

I guess I'll just have to get used to RS, huh?

I think I'm gonna pick the .54 Hawken kit. A bit lighter for all day carry. I hunt primarily wood lots, so shots are rarely over 50 yds. A big fat round ball ought to work fine.

You could not have made a better choice. .54 is my favorite caliber. 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a .530 roundball.. and there is not a deer, bear, moose, elk, nothing that can take a kill zone hit from that rifle.

I have always claimed the roundball, especially the .54 caliber is one of the most deadly projectiles made. At moderate to close range that ball is hard to beat. It's 232 grains of pure lead that hits, flattens and makes a huge hole coming out the other side. Many 1-48 twist Hawkens will shoot sabots as well. So if you want to try that route.. my Lyman Trade Rifle flintlock does a real good job.

The only roundball .54 I ever recovered from deer was I shot one deer at 80 yards with my .54 Renegade using 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. It went through him, dropping him in his tracks (high shoulder shot) and then hit a doe behind him. It broke her spine, dropping her, and lodged under the skin on the other side of the spine. I always get a pass through with the roundball. They just are a great projectile. Not fancy, easy to cast yourself, and cheap to shoot. But a great hunting projectile.

Sounds like a "create your own meplat" sort of situation. I have an old 1:66 .45 Kentucky that shot straight as an arrow. Wouldn't use it on deer tho'. I've been itching to build one for years. It's time.

Latest posts

Back