Brand new to this

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToTheWoods

Reaction score
Good morning from WA. I just bought my first muzzleloader (Knight Mountaineer .50) and stumbled on this site looking for tips... what an awesome resource.

Having a hell of a time finding ML specific 209 primers. Any concerns with using regular shotshell 209's?

Would welcome any advice on how to start working up a round/charge for this. Will be hunting deer and elk in Western Washington, so <100yds and soaking wet for most shots.

Happy Friday!

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Muzzleloading components have been in short supply for a while now.
Use whatever primers you can get.
The only issue I can think of is that if you're using Triple 7, your gun will most likely develop the dreaded crud ring. You'll need to swab the barrel after one or two shots to ensure proper bullet seating on top of the powder charge.

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Muzzleloading components have been in short supply for a while now.
Use whatever primers you can get.
The only issue I can think of is that if you're using Triple 7, your gun will most likely develop the dreaded crud ring. You'll need to swab the barrel after one or two shots to ensure proper bullet seating on top of the powder charge.
I appreciate the tip. I grabbed a pack of white hots as well, would there be similar issues with them?

Welcome from NC, anything you are not sure of ask. There are no stupid questions we all asked at one time or another. You will get crud ring with any of the pellets.

Welcome from NC, anything you are not sure of ask. There are no stupid questions we all asked at one time or another. You will get crud ring with any of the pellets.
I've never let sounding stupid get in the way of asking questions...for better or worse. I went with the pellets just for ease of use as a novice but once the season is over I'd like to start digging into this a little more. Any recommendations for powders? I assume the cleaner the burn the more consistent any follow-up shots would be?

I've never let sounding stupid get in the way of asking questions...for better or worse. I went with the pellets just for ease of use as a novice but once the season is over I'd like to start digging into this a little more. Any recommendations for powders? I assume the cleaner the burn the more consistent any follow-up shots would be?
Blackhorn 209 is the best stuff out there.

Welcome to the group. Great choice for a first ML! You are going to love that Knight…and ML hunting. Make that first shot count.
Thanks Michigan. If all goes well next week I'll throw a picture of my first Roosevelt elk up here with a big stupid grin on my face. Worst case I'll get to take my new rifle on a long walk in the woods which ain't a bad way to spend the week.

Latest posts

Back