Brand new to this

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning from WA. I just bought my first muzzleloader (Knight Mountaineer .50) and stumbled on this site looking for tips... what an awesome resource.

Having a hell of a time finding ML specific 209 primers. Any concerns with using regular shotshell 209's?

Would welcome any advice on how to start working up a round/charge for this. Will be hunting deer and elk in Western Washington, so <100yds and soaking wet for most shots.

Happy Friday!
Welcome from SE Michigan! Enjoy your time here, great bunch of characters who are more than willing to help everyone from from time honored muzzleloader veterans to newbies. Great rifle to begin your therapy sessions! Be sure to check your local regulations as some states are more accepting of "modern" gizmos, powders, sights etc.

Welcome from SE Indiana! This is a great place to be. Fantastic folks and lotsa awesome advice here.

Welcome from Texas all people on here super helpful and knowledgeable about muzzleloader you'll get alot info here

Ok, first dumb question. Took the knight mountaineer to the range first time today. Swab barrel clean, load and fire a primer, load the rifle (100gr t7 pellets and a Barnes 190 saboted), put in the primer, click nothing. Check the primer it's burned, load another one, click nothing.
Pull the breech plug clear the weapon. Look down the plug and can't see light but there is tiny, like thousanths tiny hole on the breech side. Get a piece of wire and try to push through, can't. Try a dental pick, can't. Get home and shine a light in the primer side and I don't think there's a complete hole? Is this a thing? Can I drill it out? Any help is appreciated.

Good news, I can troubleshoot my breech plug and know what tool to add to my kit and I haven't even fired it yet! The part I'm less excited about is that this is brand new rifle (midway) that appears to be less than new. Could this be from factory testing or maybe dried packing grease?

The last new gun that I bought was a New Old Stock gun.
It had quite a bit of old dried up reddish grease in the barrel. Took a bit of cleaning before I could bring it to the range.
Maybe you have something similar.

Next time you go to pre load the rifle and fire off a cap point the muzzle down range within a few inches of a leaf or something similar. The cap firing should be a loud "crack" indicating a clear fire channel. The leaf will be damaged usually with a hole in it.
I have been doing this for many years, it works!

Back