Breach plug dressing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ronlaughlin said:
put a single wrap of white teflon tape on any plug, before installing it. What i mean by that is once around near the end, with a slight overlap. This keeps soot, from fouling the threads.

This is my preference, I like to snug the BP with tape on the front end to prevent fouling on the treads. It my be my imagination but I think clean up is much easier.

I use an old brass bore brush to clean the tape from the BP threads. You really just need to clean the inside of the BP when using tape tape IMO.

I only shoot Blackhorn and have always used regular anti seize for my breech plugs and ventliners. After reading this I'm considering just eliminating this measure altogether. I'm 100% confident I'll have no problem with breech plugs as I usually clean between groups etc, however I do worry about the vent liners sticking as I don't usually remove them until I clean the gun following a range session, which could be up to 50 shots etc...
Anyone ever had a stuck vent liner? How easily do the hex heads strip out, if it seizes up?

I've always used grease, and always spent what seems like forever getting all the grease and fouling out of the threads. I recently tried the white teflon tape and will for sure stick with that. I still got a little blowback but will try another wrap next go around. But at the end of the day, a quick wipe on the plug and a nylon brush turned in the barrel threads to pull all the pieces of tape out and it's good to go. Takes about a minute total, if that. Way easier than grease of any kind.

I've never had a ventliner freeze up, but I also haven't shot BH nearly as much as alot of folks here. I put a tiny dab of silver anti-sieze on the ventliner, and just run it in snug. Seems to work perfect for me. That and the tape on the BP has worked perfectly for me, no blowback and easy cleanup.

SuperKirby, make sure the tape goes is a smidge long over the powder end of the BP. Then fold it inwards before you screw it in. It will pinch it on the rim of the plug and seal up tight. At least that is my experience.

WV Hunter said:
I've never had a ventliner freeze up, but I also haven't shot BH nearly as much as alot of folks here. I put a tiny dab of silver anti-sieze on the ventliner, and just run it in snug. Seems to work perfect for me. That and the tape on the BP has worked perfectly for me, no blowback and easy cleanup.

SuperKirby, make sure the tape goes is a smidge long over the powder end of the BP. Then fold it inwards before you screw it in. It will pinch it on the rim of the plug and seal up tight. At least that is my experience.

This is how i do it too on my Knight plugs.

cljohnson24 said:
Anyone ever had a stuck vent liner? How easily do the hex heads strip out, if it seizes up?

I've got a Savage plug that stripped the vent during routine cleaning, vent only has about 15 shots through it so I plan on just using it until it opens up then drill it out. I was surprised how little effort it took to strip.

I'll just stick with the anti seize, as I honestly don't care to strip a ventliner.

I use anti seize on vent liners. I also only use Lehigh vents which seem to have a deeper allen key pocket. I haven't stripped one yet but i do know one person that got a couple brittle ones.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a vent liner and how does it get stripped?

Dave C said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a vent liner and how does it get stripped?

Vent liners are the "replaceable" flash hole in Savage breach plugs and the original Lehigh breach plugs. When the actual hole grows too large, you just unscrew the vent liner and replace it.

Vent-Liner-for-Savage-MLII-and-all-Lehigh-Breech-Plugs11.jpg

1429664094.png

The powder side of the vent liner has a allen head. Those can strip if the vent becomes seized.

Dave C you can get a vent liner in a CVA breach plug and I think in a tc breach plug also. The breach plug is drilled out on the flash hole end. Then a smaller hole is drilled and tapped to accept a hardened screw with a flash hole drilled through it. When the flash hole gets to big you remove it and replace with a new screw. If you do a lot of shooting it's a good idea. I had one made for my CVA and it works great.

Got it. Don't own a CVA or TC so I guess I don't have to worry about it. Thanks

Back