CVA Optima and Cheddites/Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Lucas

Reaction score
I know...there are tons of threads going in a million different directions on this. Trying to get several answers in one spot. Do you have good luck with Cheddite primers in a CVA Optima using Blackhorn 209? Getting semi-short of Winchester 209's and could put the whole problem to rest with the Cheddites if I can expect a boom. I am a religious cleaner and breach plug scraper, by the way. Thanks in advance.....

Welcome to Modern Muzzleloader!

I've shot Cheddites in every inline I own including smokeless and in cold weather [10 degrees] with zero ignition issues with either BH209 powder or IMR4198 smokeless. I have plenty of Federal and Winchester shotshell 209s, but I shot the Cheddites to put to rest the same questions I had regarding Bh but I shoot smokeless as well and needed to know what the score was with that too, so I took all the guns to the range for a session to put my mind at ease. I put the cased guns and all of the range goodies in the van the afternoon before and it sat all night in an unheated garage so everything was cold for this little test.

Something else that's been mentioned numerous times is that in order to know absolutely what your gun and load will do is to get out there during the off season and shoot it at temperatures you may have concerns over. Two guns, even of the same caliber and manufacturer, using identical loads can hand you very different results. You may find something while shooting in the cold that needs to be tweaked in order to be hunting ready so be sure you hit the range and proof everything. For me the final test prior to hunting is to take the gun, loaded on a primer fouled clean barrel, to the range after its sat overnight in a cold vehicle. The only shot I take is the same shot that I'd take at an animal. If everything comes together to put that only shot exactly where you were aiming, then the gun and you are ready to hunt. I do this with every gun that may, or may not, go to the field with me. There is no more sickening sound than a "pop" right under one's nose and no recoil that follows when the sights are dead on, on a deer. Or elk. Or any animal that was targeted as a taker.

As an avid shotshell reloader, if you can set it off with a W209, it will go off with a cheddite.

Newer cheddites are known to be a touch hotter than a w209.

Back