Break action accuaracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm with 64 gr of H4198 from my 6 lb rifle will make you think it's an elephant gun on your shoulder. I went up to 55 gr of it n thought my shoulder was knocked off.

Break action accuracy, mine sucks ! I have learned to accept it. At 25 yards off the table & sand bag it will do ragged one hole groups. By the time it gets to a 100 yards it's palm size. I'm going to try one last time to see if i can get it to shoot. If not i know to keep all my shots 100 or less.

Land riders were XTP, Fury 250, Barnes XPT's. Sabots .400 XTP, SW,SST,Barnes Exp. Powders Blue dot, 5744,4759,VV110,RL7, H4198
If I had tried all that and it still didn't work. It may be time to get something else.

It's good to 100 yards, i will keep my shots close. I don't have the funds to buy another smokeless rifle.
My Handi rifle 45/70 is/was ( I sold it ) to help pay for a smokeless 45 but I shot piles of deer with it 4 inch group @200 yds less than 1/2 that @100 yds shooting a PB/GC 350 gr NOE 460-FN sized to 459 in pure lead over 25.5 gr 2400 powder /covered with a 1/2 gr Dacron using a 4x Leupold . Over 8-9 yrs the only CF I carried to fill my freezers !/Ed

i dont have any experience with break open rifles like the NEF.
however i had several contender pistols and they shot the best when i would resize the brass so i had to snap the action closed to get the action lock to fully engage. this would headspace the brass tight on the shoulder and vastly improve the accuracy. this worked both with a rimmed cartridge (357 herrett) and a rimless one too (7 TCU.)

Latest posts

Back