Shooting the flinter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had my Franken Flinter out this morning.
Mostly working on technique, loading and priming. These guns are a bit of work to get a good handle on operating and maintenance. I'm slowly getting there, I think.
I tried some different bullets and charges today. Swiss 2F and 3F. PRB's, XTP's and I had a few Traditions Smackdowns 200 grain.
No great groups with any of them. My Hornady PA conicals are the best performers so far. At any rate, any range time is good for me. 20240207_112744.jpg

What is the twist rate of that rifle? Sounds like a slow twist if the PA conicals are shooting the best. Have you tried patched round balls?
It's a 1/48. Round ball shoots good out it too. I don't know why but I have had good luck with those little conicals in most of my CVA's.

Nice-looking gun and setup! Shooting it should be an absolute hoot. Is that an October Country sling?

Flinters look like so much fun... might just have to get one myself. The owner of one of our local sporting goods stores is really into vintage ad replica rifles of all kinds, from flinters through black powder cartridge, both military and civilian. Really fun to go in there, but also dangerous: Last year he had an absolutely beautiful replica of the Harper's Ferry rifles carried by the Lewis and Clark expedition.... for a mere $4,000. Can't remember the maker for sure, but have a hazy thought that it might be Taylor? I wanted it sooooo bad....

Nice-looking gun and setup! Shooting it should be an absolute hoot. Is that an October Country sling?

Flinters look like so much fun... might just have to get one myself. The owner of one of our local sporting goods stores is really into vintage ad replica rifles of all kinds, from flinters through black powder cartridge, both military and civilian. Really fun to go in there, but also dangerous: Last year he had an absolutely beautiful replica of the Harper's Ferry rifles carried by the Lewis and Clark expedition.... for a mere $4,000. Can't remember the maker for sure, but have a hazy thought that it might be Taylor? I wanted it sooooo bad....
Oklahoma Leather. I think I ordered from track of the Wolf.
I started off with the barrel, a CVA silver hunter lll. CVA frontier stock and brass hardware. The trigger is for a Kentucky pistol and the sights are for a CVA Bobcat. L&R RPL 01 flintlock.

Latest posts

Back