Brer Rabbit in the briar patch, me!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was recently banned from another forum about a tasteless remark where I mentioned initials about a joke. No warning. Tossed out like last nights trash. Really hurt my feelings!

I no longer could I reach friends, people I was buying from, anyone. I hung around peeking in the windows and spent about 12 hours and found this great Modern Muzzleloader Forum!

Very pleased at finding y'all. I am finding new friends and a very warm welcome. And interesting sub forums like Modern Guns, Long Range Target Shooting, Big Game, much more. I feel like I am at home, here.

A little more about me. I am 80 1/2 years. Atcive, healthy, great wife at 76, we live in an old school, two story log cabin with four large dogs, German Shepherd, Rottie and their 90 pound offspring, ShepWeilers.

We collect antique cars in age from 1903 to 1960. We have a very good life.

I grew up on a dirt-poor farm. Outhouse. No inside plumbing. Cracks in the floors were I could see the dirt and wind blew up through the cracks. Our heat was a barrel sized coal/wood stove. Mother cooked on the top.

Dad provide that I had a very good education, warm loving family, but we had little nothing. My grandfather lost everything in the Depression, so Dad was totally against any kind of credit. We bought the money we had for essentials. Nothing else. my allowance was 25 cents a week. This was 1953.

I asked for a bicycle like the neighboring kids, but no. One day, I came home from school, I was ten years old and Dad told me I was in "Business." He had bought 24 Rhode Island red chickens. Set them up with nesting boxes in the barn and bought a 100 pound bag of feed.

This was how it went. I was to collect the eggs and sell them door-to-door. I would put the money in a Marsh Wheeling Cigar box. When I had enough to buy another 100 pound bag of chicken feed, I could spend the rest on whatever I wanted.

But Dad went on to tell me that IF I spent the money before getting a bag of feed, he would not help and my chickens would starve. He would only give me advice. Secondly he told me that my allowance stopped right now! "Do it, Son!"

I was rich! I made ten times my allowance! I lived frugally. Bicycles were $20new, but I bought a second hand bike from a neighboring kid when his parents had bought him a new one. I paid $1.75 for it. My chickens never went without food.

My success has been entirely on my own. No family funding. No loans from family. I Married a woman and we lived frugally.

All my life, I have been a penny pincher. Cheap. Disciplined. Invested well. But in the last few years, I noticed that our investment real estate rental properties had finally paid off their mortgages! Rent was increasing! We were still leaving cheap. But I also noted that there are fewer years left on the time we have here. A good friend died suddenly, death was a reality.

So, now in our Golden Years, we are having a great time. So here we are.

Pretty cool Marplot. I'm a youngin at 70 but know where you're coming from. I did my chores as a kid, cutting grass, helping around the house. When I was 7 my parents bought a single home. My dad worked 60 hours a week and mom had a full time job at a sewing factory. I helped my grandpa remodel that house with what little extra money my parents could muster. I helped dad with the masonary work. I also learned about working on cars from my grandpa. You could say I had a great childhood. I got my first job when I was 15 and saved enough to buy a car and to put myself thru college. I wasn't as poor as you but I learned how to do things and fix stuff which helped a great deal when i got married. I built a house almost entirely by myself from foundation to plumbing, electrical, carpentry and drywall. All thanks to paying attention and helping as a kid.
I wouldn't have changed my life for anything. God blessed me with a loving family, wife, good health and healthy kids and grandkids.

Pretty cool Marplot. I'm a youngin at 70 but know where you're coming from. I did my chores as a kid, cutting grass, helping around the house. When I was 7 my parents bought a single home. My dad worked 60 hours a week and mom had a full time job at a sewing factory. I helped my grandpa remodel that house with what little extra money my parents could muster. I helped dad with the masonary work. I also learned about working on cars from my grandpa. You could say I had a great childhood. I got my first job when I was 15 and saved enough to buy a car and to put myself thru college. I wasn't as poor as you but I learned how to do things and fix stuff which helped a great deal when i got married. I built a house almost entirely by myself from foundation to plumbing, electrical, carpentry and drywall. All thanks to paying attention and helping as a kid.
I wouldn't have changed my life for anything. God blessed me with a loving family, wife, good health and healthy kids and grandkids.
We led a disciplined and worthwhile life. Learned how to be self-sufficient. Made important choices and made happy lives! We understood rights and responsibilities are earned.

I also had a lot of chores, growing up on a farm.

Welcome from southeast Oklahoma.
I think that many of us "seasoned " members here probably have similar parallels in our lives.
My father was a hard working guy trying to feed 8 kids. He died suddenly when I was 12. Life got a bit difficult for us for a number of years but we all survived and became tougher on the inside.
I'm just about 71 now and hope to be around a little while yet.
One thing I've learned over the years, "don't sweat the small stuff".

Latest posts

Back