Browning vs. Remington...You won't believe this....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
In researching Browning Gold vs. Remington 11-87:

WARRANTY

Remington:
Who and what is covered by this warranty and for how long?
Remington warrants to you, the original purchaser of a new firearm, that for two years from the date of purchase in the United States or Canada, your Remington firearm will be free from defects in material and workmanship.
What will Remington do if you discover a defect?
If you make a claim within the warranty period following the instructions given in this warranty, we will, at our option, repair the defect(s), or replace the firearm at no cost to you. If we send you a new firearm, we will keep the defective one.

Browning:
I have NO idea.

I can't find ANY info concerning their firearm warranty. None. Safes? Yes. Firearms...None listed on their site.

Can you BELIEVE this?

Chuck, as an owner of 4 Brownings...i can believe it!!! :wink:

I just checked my Owners Manuals that came with my Gold Stalker 12 3.5 Mag , BPS 12 3.5 Mag & 9MM Hi-Power,,,and your right, no mention of a warranty. Same goes with my Dad's ole Belgium A-5 he bought new back in the early 60's.

My Gold was one of the first ones out of the gate & needed a lil tender loving care from Browning after the Sale due to a feeding glitch in the first couple. Postpaid return shipping box sent to me from Browning & gun fixed and returned at no cost.

Knowing & experiencing the inherent quality of Browning's...I never even thought of a Warranty until just reading your post. Lifetime would be my guess on mfg defects etc. Their silence says it all IMO.

Go for the Gold!! :lol:

That is interesting.... :think:

Loggy, what was the problem with your Gold? Any issues since?

Doohan said:
That is interesting.... :think:

Loggy, what was the problem with your Gold? Any issues since?

JJ, the 3.5's were hangin up & not always ejecting. i think the feed ramp was polished a lil. I knew it was a potential problem when I bot gun since it was mentioned in all the research i done on the prototypes, field tests etc.. My gun was one of the first. The Win X-2 which came out later & has the same guts.

I closely considered the SBE but preferred gas auto to absorb some the the heavy 12 3.5 recoil. My BPS really whacks ya with the heavy turkey loads for sure & the inertia driven aint too far behind.

No problems since... no matter what shell I shoot.

According to the Browning Consumer department, there is no implied warranty! They warranty parts and manufacturing defects of the firearm with no period of time indicated. Each situation is reviewed on a case by case basis.

This is a quote from the Browning consumer dept. rep on the phone:
"If you own a Browning Gold and have fired 3000 rounds through it and the firing pin broke you would be billed for the repair."

If you care to ask them, Ph. 800-333-3288 Browning Consumer Dept.

p.s. This is rather disappointing to me since I own some of their guns. :cry:
I wonder what Binelli's warranty is? Might be a consideration in the future.

CORVAIR said:
According to the Browning Consumer department, there is no implied warranty! They warranty parts and manufacturing defects of the firearm with no period of time indicated. Each situation is reviewed on a case by case basis.

This is a quote from the Browning consumer dept. rep on the phone:
"If you own a Browning Gold and have fired 3000 rounds through it and the firing pin broke you would be billed for the repair."

If you care to ask them, Ph. 800-333-3288 Browning Consumer Dept.

p.s. This is rather disappointing to me since I own some of their guns. :cry:
I wonder what Binelli's warranty is? Might be a consideration in the future.

Thanks !

I admit, I am dissapointed by that news.

Only "News" i can report is supported by my over 40 years of Browning Ownership experience. When my Gold was returned re ejection repair there was never any inquiries whatsoever regarding on how many shells fired etc. Its like anything else...some buy a 60K Mercedes and says the customer support/quality sucks & the next guy says he would never buy anything other than a Mercedes.

I asure those who buy their Brownings thru a Browning Dealer...you will have a lifetime of product support second to none!

Thanks !

I admit, I am dissapointed by that news.

So was I. IMO..that's certainly not the way to do business...certainly not an AMERICAN company.... This lack of a warranty just cost them one shotgun....

SHOTGUN WARRANTIES...

Remington
2 years

Beretta
1 year..goes to 3 years by filling out warranty card

Ruger
Can't find it..

Weatherby
Because of the confidence we have in our products, Weatherby does not provide a written warranty, but rather stands behind its reputation for customer service and satisfaction.

Simply stated, we will consider requests for service or repair of Weatherby firearms on a case-by-case basis. A determination will be made, taking into consideration such things as the age and condition of the firearm, and the circumstances surrounding its malfunction or other problem

Beneiii
FIVE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY

Mossberg
Can't find it..

After reading into this...I'll be DANG if I buy another Weatherby, Ruger, or Browning product! I find the absence of a warranty right up front where the consumer can read it...simply pathetic... :shock: :evil:

chuck, so very sorry to see you possibly missing out on the Browning semi shotgun experience! :cry: As the years pass...I'm sure you will eventually see that a 2 year Remington Arms 1100 or whatever warranty etc aint worth the quality potentially conceded in connection with a lifetime purchase. Heck, some of the Korean Car Companies are offering outstanding extended warranties FAR exceeding mercedes, volvo, gmc etc which to me... isnt worth a POS.

I suggest before u do anything...stop by a Browning Dealer and chat a lil VS hang ur hat on communique & info recd over the net including reports of calls to clerks in customer service. Plus, handle/inspect the Gold & compare to the others. :wink:

:) Best of luck!

I owned an 11-87. I had a Hastings fully rifled cantilever barrel on it. It was given to me by my first wife. I promptly sold that POS (the gun) and bought a Browning A-Bolt 12 ga. fully rifled slug gun. I wouldn't care if the 11-87 had a 25 year warranty. and No I am not bitter :evil:

VENISONEATR said:
I owned an 11-87. I had a Hastings fully rifled cantilever barrel on it. It was given to me by my first wife. I promptly sold that POS (the gun) and bought a Browning A-Bolt 12 ga. fully rifled slug gun. I wouldn't care if the 11-87 had a 25 year warranty. and No I am not bitter :evil:

The remington 1187 wasn't designed around slugs. The Hastings after market barrel was not designed by remington either. The Remington 1187 will clearly out perform any other semi auto on the market. This is not my opinion either. It's all the independant tests that have been done on semi automatic shotguns. I prefer a Benelli over an 1187 for a couple different reasons. But i would never bet against an 1187 for durability.

If i was going to buy a Slug gun, it would not be a Remington or a Browning. Ithaca Deer slayer wins hands down. :wink:

Well I own a Browning A-Bolt 708 and a Challenger III; a Ruger 77 30-06, a Red Label, Single Six, and a 22/45; and a Weatherby MK V....and after learning of this warranty crapola...I have bought my LAST of EITHER!

As for my 11/87 SPS Camo of course the jury is still out because it hasn't been SHOT yet! But if it's anything like my two 700s, one XP-100, a 552 Speedmaster, and the 2 1100s in the family..it'll be just fine. It'll probably just go about its job with little fanfare or attention.. I'm actually proud/excited to be getting it...

Loggy said:
I suggest before u do anything...stop by a Browning Dealer and chat a lil VS hang ur hat on communique & info recd over the net including reports of calls to clerks in customer service. Plus, handle/inspect the Gold & compare to the others. :wink:

:) Best of luck!

I would agree with your statement Loggy and I am the one who called Browning. I have owned several Browning shotguns over the years and the workmanship and quality is excellant.
I currently own a Browning Gold 12 ga. and it is my go to turkey gun. Absolutely love the light weight and functionality,have never had a single problem.

I do however have a real problem with the lack of official warranty. This might not hamper me from purchasing additional Browning guns though!
With the quality manufacturing already there, the warranty issue might be a mute point. Remember, Browning's ad logo: "Browning, The best there is."
Additionally, if Browning handles service issues on a case by case basis, I'll bet most services for failed components probably would be covered.

shotgun's

The Dove fields of Argentina where thousands of rounds are shot weekly
have proved that the Beretta and Bennelli shotguns are 2 of the few that keep functioning.

Personnally, I still admire my Winchester Super X model 1's. If you tke one apart you will see Winchester design and craftmanship the way it used to be.

Greg

I have 20K rounds plus through my 11-87 but I still would bet my Benneli will hold up the longest.

Rifleman said:
I have 20K rounds plus through my 11-87 but I still would bet my Benneli will hold up the longest.

Do you think you or I will live long enough to know? :lol:

I hope so, I think the real question will be can I afford enough ammo to find out.

I'm with Grouse on the Ithaca Deerslayer :yeah:

I've used a Deerslayer II for 15 years. Day in, day out it will shoot with/outshoot my Knight MK85 out to 125 yds.

Back