Bullet choices

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Furys are bonded. XTPs are not. That said, you can get velocities up pretty good on the fury bullets if needed to get the accuracy you want without having the bullets gernade or disintegrate on bone like an XTP that has a much lower operating velocity range might.

I've killed deer with my Kodiak .45 and 200 grain XTPs just fine but even at BH209 speeds [maybe 2200-2300 pfs] the bullets came apart. Last fall when I got my Fury 225 grain .40s cals I took a 50 gallon garbage can and filled it with folded, packed newspaper and filled it with water, let the paper take up the water they could then rolled it out on the range 100 yards and pinned a plastic plate on the exposed paper and shot one each of the fury 225 and a 200 xtp into it, one shot on either side of the plate to keep them apart. I used my Patriot for this using 56 grains of IMR4198. When I pulled the paper mass from the barrel by layers it became apparent that the XTP was in several pieces and had about 14" of penetration. That 225 grain Fury was in one nicely expanded piece with just under 22" of penetration. I decided right there that in the Patriot I was going to hunt with either a Barnes XPB or the Fury, hopefully both, but only managed one deer with the Patriot using a Barnes 195. I have several boxes of 200 grain XTPs and use them exclusively in the Kodiak to hunt and in the Patriot at the range.

I have shot .40 A-Frames in the Patriot at the same charge level and they hold together nicely. Very similar to the XTP, but bonding makes all the difference, so my advice is to stick with bonded or monolithic if you are referring to smokeless and possibly even when using T7 or Bh..
I said nothing about XTPs Tom!

My bad. XTP's, SSTs... Hornady bullets in my mind are generic bullets that have a definite place in the in-line world as long as they are not pushed super hard. These bullets need some soup but can be pushed too hard for the way they are made. When I stepped into the realm of smokeless I learned quite quickly the difference between the every day non bonded bullet and the bonded bullet. I can't help but point out the differences.

Couldn’t disagree more with that statement.

The bonded 300 gr TC Shockwaves have been my go-to for years. I’ve killed hundreds of animals from impala to moose with them. I’ve been very happy with terminal performance.

The 250 gr non-bonded (that the dude tested there) is of course a totally different bullet.
Wow I couldn't believe he said that either Diablo. I guess all these bullet manufacturers are complete idiots!

My bad. XTP's, SSTs... Hornady bullets in my mind are generic bullets that have a definite place in the in-line world as long as they are not pushed super hard. These bullets need some soup but can be pushed too hard for the way they are made. When I stepped into the realm of smokeless I learned quite quickly the difference between the every day non bonded bullet and the bonded bullet. I can't help but point out the differences.
Yes the XTPs are a good bullet under normal circumstances and 150 yards and less are devastating on deer when used with moderate velocities. I haven't chronographed them yet but I'm getting sub MOA accuracy with the 300 gr SSTs with 55 gr of H4198. I'm guessing its somewhere around 2200-2300 fps but not sure.
I want to try some 275 gr Furys and also some SSK 260 gr and 265 gr CF bullets if I can find them.

Muzzle Loading unless smoke less, well to its core has been soft lead.

these are Thompson Centers Lead, I lay into 5-6 boxes each season, I can cost from 2024 until dead, and still have, Now the coppers, Plinking and target, just my opinion

Those Cheapshot bullets was tested by Ron with 80grV.
120grs of Pyrodex RS with 260gr bullet at 1750 fps at 15ft??

I have not had any projectiles fail me ! They all did what they were designed to do. If a person uses a pistol bullet in a rifle at higher velocities & it grenades who is at fault ? Almost all jump on the bullets short comings ? Take a gook look at the person shooting them. Say this pistol bullet was to work from 700 - 1200 fps. Then you use it at 2000 fps & it comes apart on entry & you throw a fit about it, shame on you.

👍

XTP's are outstanding bullets, no doubt. I use them in the BH guns if I can't find the proper Barnes bullets that the guns take. My preferred bullet in the BH guns is still a Barnes. In my Patriot shot smokeless, I insist on a bonded bullet. The XTPs shoot lights out, but I want bonded or copper for hunting and both of those two shoot lights out too. It all boils down to personal preferences.

XTP's are outstanding bullets, no doubt. I use them in the BH guns if I can't find the proper Barnes bullets that the guns take. My preferred bullet in the BH guns is still a Barnes. In my Patriot shot smokeless, I insist on a bonded bullet. The XTPs shoot lights out, but I want bonded or copper for hunting and both of those two shoot lights out too. It all boils down to personal preferences.
👍

I shot some 340 grain Hornady BoreDrivers in my 1-24 Twist Brux 50 caliber barrel with a shank diameter of 1.125", today.

This rifle barrel has a Pressure Trace II strain gauge on it.

The 78 grw of RL-17 was about the same pressure produced by 84 grw of BH209.

Both loads shot very well in this rifle. However, the RL-17 load should only be used in smokeless rated barrels.

Attachments

• 340 BoreDriver BH209.jpg
    340 BoreDriver BH209.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 340 BoreDriver RL17.jpg
    340 BoreDriver RL17.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 340 BoreDriver Trace ScreenShot RL17b.png
    340 BoreDriver Trace ScreenShot RL17b.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 340 BD BH209 ScreenShot B.png
    340 BD BH209 ScreenShot B.png
    30 KB · Views: 0
I found another load for the 340 Hornady BoreDrivers today in my 1-24 Twist Brux barrel.

46 grw of IMR4198 produced about the same pressure as the 84 grw BH209 load found above.

I am starting to really like these bullets. They have shot better than anything else in this rifle, and they are easy to load.
I did run two dry patches through the barrel after each shot to make sure I had a consistent bore condition.

Attachments

• 340 BoreDriver 46 grw IMR4198.jpg
    340 BoreDriver 46 grw IMR4198.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back