Bullet seating pressure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How much pressure do you exert with full bore bullets. I have my die set so that I have to lean on the short starter to get the bullet started down the bore. Then after the bullet cuts into the rifling it goes down with what I'm guessing 3-5 lb of pressure.

Try where you are at and then go a little bit lighter on loading pressure to see what your gun likes better. By your description, I would size it a bit smaller so that it starts easier, but yet still has enough resistance to stay on the powder charge.

How much pressure do you exert with full bore bullets. I have my die set so that I have to lean on the short starter to get the bullet started down the bore. Then after the bullet cuts into the rifling it goes down with what I'm guessing 3-5 lb of pressure.
A loading force of only 3 to 5# is WAY too loose and the bullet could possibly come off the propellant. I'd be very cautious! If you have to "lean on the short starter", then the bullet loads with only 3-5# force, the barrel could possibly be slightly choked at the crown. Myself, I couldn't live with that and would want it corrected.

A loading force of only 3 to 5# is WAY too loose and the bullet could possibly come off the propellant. I'd be very cautious! If you have to "lean on the short starter", then the bullet loads with only 3-5# force, the barrel could possibly be slightly choked at the crown. Myself, I couldn't live with that and would want it corrected.
I'm going to remove the Breech Plug and run a bullet thru that way and see if its gets tighter toward the muzzle

Encore I guess I just guessing on the pressure. Its more like 10 lb. Here's a pic of the bullet loaded from the berrch
You can see the engraving of the rifling and there is no extra tightness toward the muzzle.20231214_175754.jpg

Encore I guess I just guessing on the pressure. Its more like 10 lb. Here's a pic of the bullet loaded from the berrch
You can see the engraving of the rifling and there is no extra tightness toward the muzzle.
Glad you did that. Force is extremely hard to identify without using a force gauge.

I just came up from the loading room, where I have a 300gr Parker MH sized to load at 4# and was going to use my cell to video it for you. My problem is trying to keep just the weight of the ramrod from pushing it right on through. You just saved me some time...... LOL

Some people use bathroom scales to check loading forces, but it takes two people and will only be limited accurate. Loading force must be checked...... SLOWLY ..... as any acceleration will skew the results.

I would try shooting it. The seating may tighten up on a fouled bore. You may have to lap out the tight spot.

My rule of thumb is the harder the better. If you need a hammer, it's to hard. There is nothing more comforting to me than knowing my bullet didn't move on the charge. Some people also think that if the bullet is too tight, the barrel is going to explode. Not something to even consider.
Have there been tests to prove a bullet moves off the charge?

Have there been tests to prove a bullet moves off the charge?
Its pretty easy to do yourself. Size a bullet to 3# and start it down the barrel. When you get to where it would normally set with a charge, mark the ramrod (you should already have a witness mark to use) if it won't push the bullet out. Then bump the rifle butt on the floor, or force it forward, then if the bullet is still in the barrel, put the ramrod in until it just touches the bullet. Check your mark.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back