Bullet selection for elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're in the long range forum. 500yds isn't really long range anymore, not when we're shooting twice that far. Review the chart I posted above. At 500yds there more than enough energy for game and that's only using 120grs VOLUME of BH209.
Stick around and learn LONG RANGE.
You can keep the target gun shooting at long range. I'll just hunt my little 100 to 200 yards. I would just get closer to the animal and be more confident in the shot placement

Reality check: There are more people shooting to 500yds than you can imagine. EVERY muzzleloader can be a "LONG RANGE" muzzleloader. However, most hunters never try.

The OP was asking about bullets but, it appears he practices "LONG RANGE", as he's already stated the above. Because some can't or won't, doesn't mean that others are not highly capable and confident. And yes, people that are NOT shooting 1,000yds.

Encore the OP never said he shot long range. I believe he posted here as this is where he might get the best advice for what he needs. He said the guide requested him to be capable of a 400-500 yard shot. Maybe he is just going to try this. Let's face it, even with a very flat shooting centerfire rifle most hunters would have a hard time hitting an elk shoulder size target at 500 yards. With a muzzleloader its even "trickier" because of the trajectory of the projectile. At those ranges a misread of just 25 yards would result in a complete miss.
As for me, none of my muzzleloaders are set up for ranges past 200-250 yards solely because of the optics on them. I applaud those that shoot muzzys long range. Its something that takes a lot of time and effort to be sufficient at. Something I don't have much of these days.

Encore the OP never said he shot long range. I believe he posted here as this is where he might get the best advice for what he needs. He said the guide requested him to be capable of a 400-500 yard shot. Maybe he is just going to try this. Let's face it, even with a very flat shooting centerfire rifle most hunters would have a hard time hitting an elk shoulder size target at 500 yards. With a muzzleloader its even "trickier" because of the trajectory of the projectile. At those ranges a misread of just 25 yards would result in a complete miss.
As for me, none of my muzzleloaders are set up for ranges past 200-250 yards solely because of the optics on them. I applaud those that shoot muzzys long range. Its something that takes a lot of time and effort to be sufficient at. Something I don't have much of these days.

Let's assume that the OP will be using a range finder................

This is the LONG RANGE forum and yes, he was asking for bullet advice. However, 200yds or 250yds is NOT long range with ANY modern inline rifle. Trajectory is nothing but math and very easily determined.
Problem is, there are too many 100 and 200yd shooters that have no knowledge of long range shooting/hunting wanting to give advice.
Please check out some of the ballistics charts. A misread of 25yds will not cause a complete miss on an elk unless you're shooting at its eye.

Follow the chart. Its the same data used in the first chart, just limited to 500yds and at 25yd intervals. Using a 25yd difference from 475 to 500yds, you're talking 1.5moa difference.

1689539960229.png

Its a september rut hunt. Mixture of open sage and aspen country. The guide has requested be capable to 400-500 yards. I feel extremly comfortable in my abilitys out to that range. I agree with the 300 grain minimum
Reading his post, it .... appears .... that he does shoot long range, feeling "....extremely comfortable in my abilities out to that range".

You're right, most hunters should never attempt long range shots at game, because they never practice long range. However their rifles are capable.

Follow the chart. Its the same data used in the first chart, just limited to 500yds and at 25yd intervals. Using a 25yd difference from 475 to 500yds, you're talking 1.5moa difference.
Ok, I’m “following” your chart. Check my math for me. The difference in a 25 yard range error (475 to 500 yards) is 12.2 inches. That sounds like a miss on an animal with a 15-18” vital zone…

475yds requires 16.8moa vertical adjustment, so that's a known. To shoot 500yds, you need to add 1.5moa to 475yds. Another known.

1moa at 475yds is 4.75" .5moa = 2.3"

4.75 + 2.3 = 7"

NOTE: No one should be shooting long range and not KNOW the distance. Its why range finders were invented.

Last edited:
The drop from 475 to 500 is 12.2” on your chart. If you dial for 475, and hold center of vitals on an elk that is actually at 500, you’re going to miss. Am I right?

The drop from 475 to 500 is 12.2” on your chart. If you dial for 475, and hold center of vitals on an elk that is actually at 500, you’re going to miss. Am I right?
No. You're using drop from ZERO. From 475 to 500 you need 1.5moa, which is 7". Holding center mass, you're going to kill the animal.

If you're DEAD ON at 475yds and add 12.2" thinking you're going to be dead on at 500yds, you'll be shooting over your intended target.

I wouldn’t be shooting at any elk long range if I were you…
Quite frankly, I'll kill anything I intend to harvest at long range. 500yds is a chip shot.

By the way and if you don't mind me asking, at what distance do you practice with your muzzleloaders???? More than likely, you should be in the inline forum instead of the long range forum.

Quite frankly, I'll kill anything I intend to harvest at long range. 500yds is a chip shot.
Not if your range finder is off by 25 yards it isn’t (which is pretty common in the west). You’d miss that elk at 500 and not even know why. And it may be a “chip” on a range but it isn’t when actually hunting elk.

Not if your range finder is off by 25 yards it isn’t (which is pretty common in the west). You’d miss that elk at 500 and not even know why. And it may be a “chip” on a range but it isn’t when actually hunting elk.
Huge difference between you and I when it comes to confidence. No, I'm not going to miss any animal I intend to harvest at 500yds. And I'm not going to be taking any wild ask shots. If the conditions are right, its meat in the freezer from 500yds.

Still asking, have you ever practiced with any of your muzzleloaders at 500yds?

Well, we’ll have to agree to disagree on whether or not you understand your own chart. Tell us again how many elk you’ve killed.

Yes, I have, and beyond that.
Exactly what has how many elk anyone has killed make any difference? For God's sake, the animal is huge.

Yup, we'll agree to disagree on how I read my chart. But I'm winning or placing at 1,000yds with a muzzleloader, so it seems that my chart reading is pretty darn good. But you can disagree with me on that ;)

In September, there's another 1,000yd match at Camp Atterbury. You should come and shoot with us. 5 relays at 1k. Everybody helps one another. After the last relays on Sunday, you could head over to Friendship and shoot in the Nationals too.

Exactly what has how many elk anyone has killed make any difference? For God's sake, the animal is huge.

Yup, we'll agree to disagree on how I read my chart. But I'm winning or placing at 1,000yds with a muzzleloader, so it seems that my chart reading is pretty darn good. But you can disagree with me on that ;)

In September, there's another 1,000yd match at Camp Atterbury. You should come and shoot with us. 5 relays at 1k. Everybody helps one another. After the last relays on Sunday, you could head over to Friendship and shoot in the Nationals too.
I’d love to but I’ll be hunting elk in September…

Yeah. Paper punchers giving advice on elk hunting. Classic.

I’d love to but I’ll be hunting elk in September…

Yeah. Paper punchers giving advice on elk hunting. Classic.
Again, I highly doubt you've harvested the numbers of animals I have with a muzzleloader. I'm a hunter first, paper puncher second.
Its just so evident that you are not a long range muzzleloader shooter, but want to give advice on long range. Classic.

Well then September is out then. So how about next June when we shoot summer again? No elk hunting that I know of in June............ Same deal. Shoot at Atterbury, then head over to Friendship for the summer Nationals. You have more than enough time to plan ahead.

Its different in the field than on a hunting range. I bet you would miss out in the field shooting at 500yrds with no wind flags up or down hill. I believe that you can shoot your custom riffle at the riffle range 500 yards with multiple shots at target hunting you mostly have one shot to kill.

So how about next June when we shoot summer again? No elk hunting that I know of in June............ Same deal. Shoot at Atterbury, then head over to Friendship for the summer Nationals. You have more than enough time to plan ahead.
Better yet. How bout you come out and go elk hunting this fall. You can tote DoNotMiss around up and down mountains for a week or ten days then see if you can actually make that 500 yard (or is it 475 yards) shot?! Let’s do it!

Better yet. How bout you come out and go elk hunting this fall. You can tote DoNotMiss around up and down mountains for a week or ten days then see if you can actually make that 500 yard (or is it 475 yards) shot?! Let’s do it!
Get me the permit................... not in Colorado.

Latest posts

Back