Powder Amount Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pop Pop

Reaction score
I upgraded my Remmington 700 UML 50 cal with an Arrowhead breech plug/modules. I installed plug, & gun is ready. I purchased Fury bullets 320 gr.
1- My question to you guys is how many grains by weight of BH209 should I use to sight in gun?
2- Now since I upgraded, what type of range do you think I have now with this gun? or maybe that wouldn't change since the barrel is the same?
3-Anyway I will sight gun in @ 100 yrds to start since I mainly just use it for deer hunting. How many grains should I use for this? Also do you know how many grains in the max for my barrel?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks Again !
Joe

I'm not questioning Encore because he has a lot of experience shooting long range but If it were me I'd like to strive for the best accuracy. I would start around 75 gr weight ( about 100 gr V) and move up in 10 gr increments until you find your rifle's sweet spot.
I don't have the UML but my std 700 like 75 gr and 300 gr SSTs.

I'm not questioning Encore because he has a lot of experience shooting long range but If it were me I'd like to strive for the best accuracy. I would start around 75 gr weight ( about 100 gr V) and move up in 10 gr increments until you find your rifle's sweet spot.
I don't have the UML but my std 700 like 75 gr and 300 gr SSTs.

I would agree start at 70-75 grains and work your way up to 100 grains or so by volume. 10 grain increments.

One has to understand his rifle is designed to shoot VERY heavy charges. Its not your typical CVA or Traditions rifle.

Why would you buy a Thoroughbred racehorse and use it to pull a wagon?

One has to understand his rifle is designed to shoot VERY heavy charges. Its not your typical CVA or Traditions rifle.

Why would you buy a Thoroughbred racehorse and use it to pull a wagon?
The RIFLE might be designed to shoot very heavy charges but most PEOPLE aren't designed [or willing] to shoot very heavy charges. It's not fun and is a great way to develop bad habits really quickly. X

Why would you buy a Thoroughbred racehorse and use it to pull a wagon
Although what you're saying is true, if you don't have accuracy what's the point? Velocity without accuracy is meaningless. I've been handloading CF cartridges for close to 60 uears,and I've yet to have a rifle shoot a max load better than a load somewhere below max.
Muzzleloaders are no different. Just my 2 cents.
As for the horse analogy - some of the amish folk around here have very expensive trotters pulling their buggys. I refer to them as cadillac buggys!

The RIFLE might be designed to shoot very heavy charges but most PEOPLE aren't designed [or willing] to shoot very heavy charges. It's not fun and is a great way to develop bad habits really quickly. X
Shot one for years. I would suggest that the OP knew exactly what he was purchasing. If he has a problem with recoil, a brake will fix that issue permanently.
Example: There is ZERO WEIGHT on this sled. I might add, this is shooting the EXACT charge I suggested above. 106grs WEIGHT of BH209 and the 320gr Fury.

Although what you're saying is true, if you don't have accuracy what's the point? Velocity without accuracy is meaningless. I've been handloading CF cartridges for close to 60 uears,and I've yet to have a rifle shoot a max load better than a load somewhere below max.
Muzzleloaders are no different. Just my 2 cents.
As for the horse analogy - some of the amish folk around here have very expensive trotters pulling their buggys. I refer to them as cadillac buggys!

Again, the rifle is DESIGNED to shoot heavy charges and to do it ACCURATELY.

Its the misunderstanding of both the UML and the RUM that have most confused. It doesn't mean that a lighter charge won't work. But the rifles were both designed to shoot heavy charges and do it accurately.

OK I guess to each their own. I see guys using 300WMs and 338 WMs for deer! Overkill for sure. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I don't like my shoulder getting pounded anymore and too cheap to have a barrel threaded for a brake!

My son owned a RUM for a while when they were introduced. If memory serves me correctly, they are a fairly heavy rifle and with the heavy loads recoil was no more than some of my lighter guns shooting lighter charges and 300 Grain bullets.

I don't know how to say this so I'm just going to spit it out. Regardless of how heavy a charge a rifle can handle I do not believe that one should limit themselves to firing maximum charges for maximum velocity at the expense of accuracy loss.
I'm all for max speed if it correlates to max accuracy but I much prefer accuracy over speed any day.

I don't know how to say this so I'm just going to spit it out. Regardless of how heavy a charge a rifle can handle I do not believe that one should limit themselves to firing maximum charges for maximum velocity at the expense of accuracy loss.
I'm all for max speed if it correlates to max accuracy but I much prefer accuracy over speed any day.
There is no accuracy loss because one is shooting a heavy charge. Nor will he be shooting a maximum charge for that rifle if he shoots 106grs weight of BH209. The rifle is capable of MUCH MORE propellant.

You have to get rid of the CVA and Traditions mind set when you start talking about a UF or RUM. They are totally different rifles.

They are designed to shoot heavy charges ACCURATELY.

You keep saying that but being designed for and actually doing it are 2 different things. Just dumping max charges and a bullet down the bore and then thinking that's the best accuracy it can get is nothing less than foolhardy. You should know as well as I that not all rifles are equal. What shoots best out of one may not be the case with another regardless of the brand or model.
Encore I understand that that you have a vast knowledge shooting muzzleloaders but don't be blind to what I am saying. Being desinged to shoot heavy charges accurately does not mean every rifle can do it. Some may reqire a lesser charge for utmost performance.
The OP stated that he is going to use the rifle mostly for deer hunting. To that end 100 gr V of BH209 will kill a deer just as dead as 120 gr and if the accuracy using 100 gr is better then its a win win.

Last edited:
I have killed many of tick toters using 80 gr of blk. or Sub powder n less. I much rather have accuracy over huge amount of power. Most of my kills since 1985 have been less than 100 yards.

You keep saying that but being designed for and actually doing it are 2 different things. Just dumping max charges and a bullet down the bore and then thinking that's the best accuracy it can get is nothing less than foolhardy. You should know as well as I that not all rifles are equal. What shoots best out of one may not be the case with another regardless of the brand or model.
Encore I understand that that you have a vast knowledge shooting muzzleloaders but don't be blind to what I am saying. Being desinged to shoot heavy charges accurately does not mean every rifle can do it. Some may reqire a lesser charge for utmost performance.
The OP stated that he is going to use the rifle mostly for deer hunting. To that end 100 gr V of BH209 will kill a deer just as dead as 120 gr and if the accuracy using 100 gr is better then its a win win.
I am not blind to what you're saying. Not at all. But again I'll tell you this, with the recommended charge, HE IS NOT SHOOTING A MAXIMUM CHARGE! THE RIFLE IS CAPABLE OF MUCH HEAVIER CHARGES. He could be shooting 200grs of BP or substitutes, so the suggestion I gave him is the AVERAGE of what all other owners are shooting and achieving the best accuracy with the 320gr Fury bullets and BH209. Don't believe me? Contact Dennis at Fury and ask him. Or, if you have FB, go to either of the sites and read what owners are using.

I'm sorry but the fact is, you don't understand the UF or RUM rifles. Believe me, I do. I've shot many thousands of rounds through them. These rifles are one of the few, that if you load them as suggested, they can be extremely accurate right out of the box. I'm very familiar with the rifles, having been close friends with the person that invented the UF, Ken Johnston. Ken and I were friends when Remington purchased the rights for his ignition system. I know the rifles like the back of my hand.

As I mentioned earlier, the rifle can be accurate with a lesser charge, or even a heavier charge. But again, no one has shot these rifles more than myself, short of maybe Randy. I KNOW what works and how it works with them. The OP has a 500yd hunting rifle. Now his abilities are another story.

We're not talking CVA, Traditions, Knight, or TC rifles. We're not discussing rather one uses 75grW or 80grs of BP or Subs and/or rather those charges will harvest an animal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back