Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM54-120 said:
Ive never used it but i do use fish emulsion and seaweed. A gallon of Alaska brand fish emulsion 5-1-1 is normally well under $20 even at places like Lowes/Walmart.

I thought this stuff would smell awful, and I wouldn’t be able to use it in the house? But The Guy at the Nursery told me it wasn’t that bad at all, that he and his wife, and many others around town here use it with their indoor plants, That’s what sold me on trying this one (and it’s spoke highly of) I knew about the Alaskan Brand Fish emulsion, I can remember my Grandmother using it in their Garden Years ago. Best i can remember that stuff REALLY stinks? I’ve stil got a Full month and a Half in the house before these guy’s can safely go outside. This Neptunes Stuff has it’s own unique Smell thats for sure :lol: But it really isnt that bad, You can definitely Smell both Seaweed and Fish, But it’s not over powering bad when diluted down per instructions, You use 1 Tablespoon of it per Gallon of Water.

We had 6 of those Big 1/2 Wine Barrel Planters at the House we lived before this one, I caught an Ice Chest full of Nice Crappie About 2 weeks or so before it was safe to plant outside, After Filleting them fish out, I dug down about 1 foot on each of them Planters and put those Fish guts, Carcasses, and Skins in each of them Big Potter’s, Our plants went COMPLETELY nuts in those Pots, We had a BUMPER Crop of Tomatoes that year!! The Neighbor lady Had bought the exact Same plants as we did, All the Same Run, Same sized plants, etc. In just a months time there was no Comparison in our plants, She would walk her Dogs up and look at ours, lol! It’s amazing what rotting Fish will do for a plant :yeah:

I freeze y fish trimmings and thaw them as soon as the ground thaws. I run the trim thru my grinder and make a mush of them and bury that in the holes I mark for tomatoes and peppers. Great fertilizer for sure but would be hard to use inside.

MrTom said:
I freeze my fish trimmings and thaw them as soon as the ground thaws. I run the trim thru my grinder and make a mush of them and bury that in the holes I mark for tomatoes and peppers. Great fertilizer for sure but would be hard to use inside.

MrTom said:
I freeze y fish trimmings and thaw them as soon as the ground thaws. I run the trim thru my grinder and make a mush of them and bury that in the holes I mark for tomatoes and peppers. Great fertilizer for sure but would be hard to use inside.

There is a small lake just up the rd from me that is full of little perch, and sunfish, I might go catch a little bucket of them to plant along with my pepper plants :D Probably plant the little fish about a week before the plants. I might try this with a few plants, and nothing with the others just to see the difference?

Critters like to dig so if you bury fish do it well before planting. We used to empty the freezer in early spring of all the old fish we had. Any fresh water fish and shrimp that looked freezer burnt went into the garden. The difference is amazing.

Last year i also used Alaska's Veggie and Tomato 4-6-6 dry pellets. Its a fish and kelp product. Excellent product for the money. I tested it against Miracle Grow on 2 cucumbers in pots. The Alaska blew away the MG even though it was way less in nitrogen. I did get some minor digging by the critters.
5-alaskavegetabletomato_600x600.png

You can also make your own emulsion but oh man does it stink. Grind up all the old fish, guts and bones. Add some water, a little brown leaves and put the bucket far way from the house for a month. Add a few tbs of unsulfured molasses and seaweed if you want to add more of the other nutrients.

You can also just toss them in your compost pile but dont go too heavy. You dont want to add too much nitrogen to compost. A good mix of dry vegetation is needed. Rabbit poop is a great option if you know anyone that raises rabbits. It composts fast and its mild enough it wont burn plants. Poultry and pig poop are way higher in nitrogen and must compost/age longer before using in a garden.

GM54-120, I never thought about the critters digging? I live in town, complete fenced in backyard, No worry of Dogs, But i could just see a Stray Cat digging my little plants up. I killed a Skunk last year, I was leaving at 3:00AM To get to my Bow Hunting spot where i Elk hunt, when i opened my front door i seen it in the neighbors yard (2 neighbors down) I grabbed my Springer pellet Rifle and got him. I was in a hurry to get out of here for my elk hunt and didn’t have time to go mess with it, When i got home that evening it had been taken care of by someone else? :lol: :lol: :lol:

My south facing windows are now full and some plants or going into east and west which of course means moving them around each day. Its really cool though. I can see growth pretty much everyday now. A few are just exploding after being moved.

Window Sill seedlings 4-17-18
3 MOA Red
1 Miraflores Market Rocoto (maybe 1-2 more late)
1 Mini Red Rocoto (more coming soon)
4 Aleppo
5 Aji Arnaucho (2 and 3 more just need up-potting first)
2 P Dreadie (2 more coming for sure soon)
1 CCN Trinidad Perfume
1 CCN Aji Dulce 1
1 CCN Brazilian StarFish
1 CCN Jamacian Gold (annuum)
1 CCN Szechwan
1 CCN Aji Panca
19 in sills now

Sprouts still under lights 4-17-18
3 Aji Arnaucho
2 P Dreadie
4 Mini Red Rocoto
1-2 Miraflores Market Rocoto
4 Farmers Market
4 Biker Billy
4 Mucho Nacho F2
1 Chichimeca
23-24 sprouts

A few germination failures slowed things down so im trying the old tried and true ziplock bag method in the oven with the light on. It stays right in the 80F range with just the light. Most of these are bell types and a couple Anaheims. The Sandia Select is from my seeds. The plant last year did ok started even later. Trying the Fresno from store bought peppers. They were nice ripe/red Fresnos with perfect heat.

Germinating now 4-17-18
Tekne Dolmasi
Urfa stuffing
Bell of Lebanon
Fresno (Pods from Global Foods)
Bell of Gollu
Big Jim Heritage
Sandia Select

The wife keeps all of the egg shells from the eggs we use and crushes them and keeps them in a gallon milk jug of water. Actually she has several gallons of this concoction in the house and uses this to water her plants, of which she has way too many. Imagine a fart generated by drinking a 12 pack of $2.99 beer, eating a can of baked beans and sauerkraut. When she's on a watering spree this is about how the house smells for an hour. Do I dance when those plants go outside each summer. But they do grow like no tomorrow.

Egg shells are mostly calcium carbonate that is not water soluble. They need to be treated with an acid first or added to soil that is acidic which takes time for it to break down into a calcium the plants can use. Compost them and let the rain do its thing.

Calcium acetate= calcium carbonate treated with acetic acid (vinegar)
Calcium nitrate= treated with nitric acid
Calcium citrate= treated with citric acid. (not very soluble in water but better than carbonate)

Hi Yield sells 4lb bags of calcium nitrate for around $6 BUT it also has a huge dose of nitrogen. Its like 15-0-0. Its also a salt so you need to use it in moderation. Good product to prevent blossom end rot if used with caution.

You can also just buy CalMag Plus. A quart ($15-$17)makes about 192 gallons if used as directed

GM54-120, Do you ever use Epsom Salt as a Foilar Spray? (2 Tblsp Epsom Salts to 1 Gallon of water) I have used Epsom Salt on Tomato Plants, and a Rose bush with good results :yeah: Any reason Not to do this to Pepper plants?

Yes, it helps peppers keep their blooms. You can also just add it to your watering can. 1 tbs per gallon every 2 weeks is normally enough.

My little Rocotos are starting to pick it up! :yeah: this Neptunes Fish and Seaweed Fertilizer definitely isn’t hurting anything! This is fairly substantial growth, fast!

I did make 1 mistake that I learned WELL from, You don’t want to mix this Neptunes stuff in a sealed water jug and leave it for a later application, Talk about UNREAL STINK! When i opened the lid, i VERY QUICKLY put it back on and headed outside with it :D I’m talking Putrid Gross!! It was only open for a second or 2, but that Was enough for my Wife to Gag, open all the windows and both doors! :lol: I WON’T be doing that ANYMORE! From now on i will mix ONLY what i can use, then thoroughly rinse my Jug clean.

8SFsR4g.jpg

Every time ive used a fish and kelp mix i saw results within a couple days. What really stinks is rotting seaweed on the beach after a big storm. Its full of tiny shellfish. Its about the best compost you will ever find but illegal to gather off the beach in many places.

Is that a Mini Red rocoto or just the Peruvian Red?

Im up potting a bunch today. Mostly jalapenos and my last couple Minis and Dreadies. Im hoping that will help kick them in gear. I started another Miraflores directly in a solo cup and its almost caught up to some and it has caught up to my jalapenos which is really strange.

Everything started in peat pots seems stunted but otherwise looks healthy. Every plant i moved from the peat pots into solo cups has improved a bunch.....NO MORE peat pots for me. Next year i will just use those plastic seedling trays.

GM54-120 said:
Every time ive used a fish and kelp mix i saw results within a couple days. What really stinks is rotting seaweed on the beach after a big storm. Its full of tiny shellfish. Its about the best compost you will ever find but illegal to gather off the beach in many places.

Is that a Mini Red rocoto or just the Peruvian Red?

Im up potting a bunch today. Mostly jalapenos and my last couple Minis and Dreadies. Im hoping that will help kick them in gear. I started another Miraflores directly in a solo cup and its almost caught up to some and it has caught up to my jalapenos which is really strange.

Everything started in peat pots seems stunted but otherwise looks healthy. Every plant i moved from the peat pots into solo cups has improved a bunch.....NO MORE peat pots for me. Next year i will just use those plastic seedling trays.

GM54, I made a STUPID STUPID Rookie mistake! I have no idea which is which anymore? I have the 2 Varieties of the Rocotos that you sent me. The mini Reds, and the Yellow version. Back when i re-potted everything to the Dixie cups i screwed up BAD and got them all mixed up, by the time i realized what i had done it was to late :wall: The good news is EVERYTHING is doing AWESOME! I can’t believe i done that!!! I payed close attention when i started the Germination process and had everything marked VERY well, Then i go and screw it all up! My Dad got a kick out of it, He has done the same thing in the past with his different Tomatoe plants

Wellllll, i got Fresno sprouts from pods i bought at the market. Nearly 100% germination in a wet paper towel. I put 4 in the ProMix Ultimate Organic and they are already breaking the surface. Tested my Sandia Selects in peat pellets and i got 2 for 4 sofar. They are an awesome Anaheim when ripe and not bad green either. Pods are large but not as large as some.

Just checked the others and a Big Jim Heritage is also breaking the surface today.

All the middle eastern bell types are still not cooperating. Thats a major bummer too.

Got Sandia Select, Big Jim Heritage and a Bell of Gollu to germinate in peat pellets. Might have another one of each too. Moved them in solo cups and Promix.

The window crowd all got their fist shot of CNS17 Grow 3-1-2 using rain water. I mixed it slightly weak at around 1.5gal and tbs of the CNS17.

My 2 best P Dreadies have started to kick it in gear.
vKK67qs.jpg

TblK6Z7.jpg

The Aji Arnaucho are going now too and lost the leaf curl. Most of the foliage color now looks pretty normal.
hLZlA9L.jpg

s0GnakT.jpg

They look like this in the damn peat pots and nothing seems to improve it other than removing the peat pot.
2mLMrwu.jpg

Ed's Aleppos and MWCH MOA reds have been great since day one.
Z8vItTa.jpg

bGa8RoL.jpg

dufkszw.jpg

This is my problem child. A Miraflores market rocoto. I have to leave it alone until im 100% sure it needs water. Its looking better. The pic was taken a few minutes after watering. It had just the tiniest amount of "water me droop" before. The new foliage looks pretty good now. The other i started late looks fine starting it in ProMix. Small but the leaves all look good.
h8WHLnF.jpg

xxyC3ck.jpg

And last but not least a Mini Red Rocoto. I have more that went in the windows later but this lil guy is starting to stretch its legs.
yv3tBCR.jpg

Oops almost forgot the "cheaters" from CCN. They got just a tiny bit of sunburn from being on the deck too long.
jEkkzK0.jpg

GM54, Lookin GOOD!! :yeah: What’s up with the peat pot stuff?

Few of my little Rocotos

SsFoity.jpg

I am looking at getting a really nice 4 Bulb 4ft fuxture, Which would you advise between the Hydrofarm and Sun Blaze? Is there another brand you think better? I don’t really need it this year, but i am stil gonna buy 1 and be ready with a better setup, If i get it quick enough i will probably run it for the last 2 weeks. I am not against the 5 Bulb, but figure a 4 is all i should need?

IMO the best deal going is the HydroFarm (AgroBrite) 6 bulb at almost $150 because you can run either 6 or 3 lights just by turning off a switch. It has 2 switches on the fixture. It also covers a 2ftx4ft area almost completely. IIRC the 4 bulb is 13" wide. Otherwise i think they are both well made fixtures and have the same warranty too. I think its 5yrs on both for the ballasts.

The HydroFarm Designer series has that goldish/black hammered finish on it that appears to be a better finish than the Sun Blaze. I think its a powder coat finish actually. The white one is slightly cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Agrobrite-Design ... B002TJQ61W

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H1C74O/re ... B002TJQ61W

The Sun Blaze 4 bulb is around $130
https://www.amazon.com/ft-F54T5-HO-Fluo ... B000AXPUBQ

FINALLY!!!!!

I got 5 Tekne Dolmasi to sprout and 1 Bell of Lebanon. Moved the Dolmasi's into ProMix. Left the bell in the paper towel to see if it will shake off its helmet first. It looked like if just popped. The other 5 looked they they had already started growing. All but 1 had shed its helmet.

My Antep seedlings might be delivered Sunday too.....Pepper Stress!!!!

Back