Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Farmers Market had nice seedlings for $2 each. A stinking ghost pepper followed me home. Nice looking little guy but not really anything i will eat. I only got it for the goobers that beg me for a hotter sauce. Chuck one of them suckers in a quart of hab sauce and watch the fireworks. :D

Bonnie Mucho Nacho seedlings were in at Lowes so i grabbed a couple of those too. They are really a outstanding jalapeno. I highly recommend them if you can get them.

Redneck shade cloth!!!!
I just had to grab these at the local feed store. They were a whole 25 cents each. The guy called them peanut bags and they are pretty big. They will easily fit over a typical tomato cage. I think im gunna go back and grab a couple dozen of them so i can double them up if needed. I got 2 just for grins.

j3ZdWmc.jpg

uf2FQAm.jpg

iBSk1pD.jpg

UpoyOhL.jpg

BTW a guy on thehotpepper recommended a brand of light from Growace called Yield Lab. They are out of the 4bulb 4ft atm but they are only $99. He has a massive grow with over 1mil lumens. He bought nearly $3000 worth of the 8 bulb fixtures after a big discount.

Yield Labs $99 with free shipping https://growace.com/grow-light/flouresc ... 6400k.html

My Little Rocotos have went NUTS the last few Days!! They are gonna outgrow the little T5 light soon, They already pretty much have. And i got another Month before i can plant! The Growth i have seen in the last few days is nothing short of AMAZING :yeah:

MyZec7w.jpg

g7P6W8t.jpg

Sorry in advance if this is already in this thread somewhere. But I feel confident i know why Growth took off like it did? I have always known our Water PH is really high here (High 7s, Close to 8.0) i use to raise Aquarium Fish so i learned What i could safely keep and what I couldn’t in our Water. I was doing some reading on Water PH and plants and everything i read pointed to lower PH levels being better for plants? I figured what the heck I’d give it a try and see, i stil have my Water test kit stuff so i did another Quick test on my Tap water, sure enough high 7s, Close to 8.0 which is a really high PH, I had a brand new bottle of API PH Down so i started testing a Gallon of water every few drops to see how much it would take to get the PH down to around 5.5-6.0 which is where i read was good for pepper plants, Fertilizer can also drop the PH some. It ended up taking 50 drops of the PH down to hit the 5.5-6.0 PH Mark on a Gallon of Water (Would be MUCH easier to buy 5 Gallons of RO water! :lol: ) Anyway i decided to give this a try? I watered everything really good the 26th or 27th? And i can DEFINITELY see a difference, Growth has really took off!! From what i read the claim was that plants can’t absorb the Nutrients needed from High PH water? A person could collect Rain Water, or Filter your Water through Peet to Lower the PH as well

My Water straight from the Tap, VERY HIGH PH
XIm7q1Q.jpg

And after I adjusted it with API PH Down
w7us6xL.jpg

6.5ish pH should be fine for all peppers. pH down for hydro/gardening is normally phosphoric acid too. So you might want to avoid using it when using calcium supplements at the same time. I see yours is sulfuric acid based.

Found some Bonnie Mucho Nacho plants at Lowes and couldnt pass up a Ghost pepper for $2 from the farmers market. Really nice looking seedling for the money. It takes a lot of effort and time to produce a super hot seedling this nice.
HrutkLL.jpg

Traded about half a quart of Scotch Bonnet hot sauce for some sprouts and Jeff remembered he forgot to bring the honey last time. Im STOKED i finally got some Antep Aci Dolma sprouts too!!!

DELICIOUS!!!
9z7X5Kn.jpg

GM54, Are you on City water by chance? We are on city water here, and plants don’t like it worth a darn for awhile, they finally adjust and have always done fine, but with peppers and our short Grow season i am trying to figure out a way to filter my water so they don’t have to go through the ‘Shock’ period of adjusting. What do you think? I seen an RV filter type setup that a Guy was using in his home (City Water) for Aquarium fish, he got it at Walmart I believe? It hooks to a Garden hose and filters out the Chlorine, Chloramines, Or at least that’s what I think he said? This guy had NUMEROUS aquariums in his home, at least 3 of them were 220 Gallon Tanks. He filtered a TON water! Any advice appreciated

If you fill your water bucket the night before it helps. The chlorine will evaporate. Mine has a really high pH though, over 9. I use a rain barrel also.

My Dreadies went nuts under the shade cloth. Raining today so lighting is good for pics. Sunday night will get a tiny but cool (52F) but it looks fine after that.

Dreadies
EUaKXBT.jpg

AnYsJq4.jpg

Mini Red
1zhhx5O.jpg

Group shot, MOA red, Mini Red rocoto, 4 Dreadies, MOA red, Aleppo and another MOA red.
6URboVC.jpg

A few i bought locally and from chileplants.com
jxV2bu8.jpg

Nice looking plants!! I contacted the guy i spoke of above that uses the Garden Hose filter system for Aquariums, He uses one Called Camco, I actually found several online, 1 they call a Boogie Blue that filters 35,000 Gallons, Attatches directly inline of your Garden Hose. The Guy with the Aquariums swears by these things if you are on City Water, he raises certain breeds of fish that bring BIG money, Very meticulous guy!

This is the Unit that he uses and swears by, He said This is a Very common Walmart item in the RV section. I checked online and sure enough our Walmart shows these in stock. I can’t find how many gallons these are suppose to filter? It say’s to change them Seasonal, Or when water flow is greatly reduced, The Aquarium guy said i should be able to get by all growing season on 1 of these no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TastePURE- ... B0006IX87S

Getting ready for up potting Monday. High of 82F today and sunny so they all got a little Alaska fish emulsion and an hour or so of full sun before going under the shade cloth.

Seemed like a good time for a group pic or two. Upper left to right ...2 Bonnie Mucho Nacho, couple maters, 1 BloomIQ Ghost, 2 rocotos, 4 Aleppo, 1 Brazilian Starfish, 1 Aji Dulce, 1 Aji Panca, 1 Jamaican Gold, 1 Szechuan, 1 Trinidad Perfume.

Bottom left to right...2 P Dreadies, 3 MOA Reds, 2 smaller Dreadies and a Mini Red Rocoto.
aLreJCC.jpg

KExGVdT.jpg

Still have 2 Aji Arnacho on the window sill, another rocoto and 2 Farmers Market jalapenos. The 2 arnaucho should probably go out now too. The others are just a tiny bit small yet. I have a few more under lights that are ready for the window sills. Some may not be in time to produce many pods but i got to try.

GM54-120 said:
IMO the best deal going is the HydroFarm (AgroBrite) 6 bulb at almost $150 because you can run either 6 or 3 lights just by turning off a switch. It has 2 switches on the fixture. It also covers a 2ftx4ft area almost completely. IIRC the 4 bulb is 13" wide. Otherwise i think they are both well made fixtures and have the same warranty too. I think its 5yrs on both for the ballasts.

The HydroFarm Designer series has that goldish/black hammered finish on it that appears to be a better finish than the Sun Blaze. I think its a powder coat finish actually. The white one is slightly cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Agrobrite-Design ... B002TJQ61W

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H1C74O/re ... B002TJQ61W

The Sun Blaze 4 bulb is around $130
https://www.amazon.com/ft-F54T5-HO-Fluo ... B000AXPUBQ

I ended up going with the Agrobrite Designer 6 Tube, I won’t need it this year but It was a good enough deal I couldn’t pass it up, I will be ready next year! I have 20 Plants outside, and 20 left in the house, My 8 Rocotos, Lumbre, Beni Highlands, Lemon Drop, and Sandia Select.

I know it’s a RISKY move here to plant this early, But they were outgrowing me. I have 6 of My Rocotos in LARGE 5 Gallon pots So i can move them in the House, or Garage if i seen it might frost, It shows no signs of frost for over a week, it is Crystal clear out right now 4:43am 47 degrees outside. Hopefully it don’t frost! I will cover the plants with buckets if i think it’s gonna

That is the fixture im eye balling for next year. Its about perfect for my needs.

Beni Highlands are a great container pepper. Heat is not normally too much hotter than a good jalapeno but it has the flavor of a habanero. You will get some that are well into the upper serrano heat range though. Thin walled, crunchy and very flexible for a variety of uses. Just a hint of citrus too.

Lumbre are thin walled and pretty much everyone i tasted was just a tad hotter than a jalapeno. They dry well and make good powder but not that great fresh. Skin is somewhat tough if left in larger pieces. VERY tasty sun dried and powdered.

Sandia Select is a wonderful Anaheim. Large and really nice flavor. Good for roasting. Medium thick flesh. Mine were rather mild but they can get into the upper jalapeno heat range. I was able to dry some with no problems.

Lemon Drops have a flavor all their own IMO. A couple other Ajis are similar but the ones i grew were very sweet with a solid upper serrano heat level unless you deseed them. 90% of the heat is in the placenta and seeds of the lemon drop. Remove that and the heat plummets. They take a long time to ripen but once it starts it goes from a tiny yellow spot to totally yellow within days. They are very heavy producers too.

BTW even though the Mini Red Rocoto produces small pods the plant can get massive. It will grow larger than the Miraflores. There is a reason they are sometimes called "tree chile". :D If you can put them in a greenhouse during the winter they will grow for many years. Im trying to work out a deal with a local greenhouse for a plant or two. They just need to stay above freezing to survive the winter and no frost most of all.

The flowers are gorgeous for a pepper plant.
Capsicum_pubescens_flower.jpg

img_5609.jpg

They can get pretty hot too. Lots of people make jelly out of them.
[youtube]8i9z0DfAVfw[/youtube]

WOW! I didn’t Realize the Rocotos got that big? I planted 2 of them in my Garden about 2 foot apart, The other 6 are in Really Large Pots. If all goes well with them, i will bring them in this fall and put them in my Basement by the Windows, it wont freeze down there.

I ended up getting 2nd day free shipping with my Light, A free Trial of Amazon Prime?

I have to say that even though i felt like the T8s were better than my little single T5, My plants felt differently (Probably my Bulbs in my T8 Setup? They did just fine, but the little single T5 was definitely the Clear winner!!) Just look at how Vigorous and Awesome my Rocotos did under this 1 single T5 Bulb, I can’t argue with this success, This is Why i ordered the Big 6 bulb T5 Fixture. For our little House, and Garden Space it will be perfect.

EUxczEC.jpg

It takes many years for them to get that large. Lots of people overwinter rocotos because the 2nd year will produce a lot more ripe peppers.

Yours look great!! Nice color and shine on the leaves. That small T5 HO is working better than i would have imagined. Its only around 2500 lumens. Imagine what 30,000 lumens is going to do. T5 HO bulbs are not terribly expensive either. Some are crazy but those are for the "other" growers. Im not sure how well the 6400k would work though for producing fruit. Lower kelvin is recommended for "budding". A couple bulbs that lean more towards the red spectrum should be plenty if you want to try it. Just put them in the center of that 6 bulb if you want to try it over the winter. You should be able to find them for around $10 a piece. Sometimes Menards has T5 HOs for around $15 for 2.

Even though that 6 bulb is pretty big it still wont cover more than around 4 mature plants to produce fruit inside. Pretty sure they will still grow good though.

Got 6 seedlings in 7gal fabric pots before i had to run out for more potting mix today. I like to keep the mix in fabric pots lighter weight than solid pots.

Menards had 2cuft bales of Pro-Mix all purpose for just $14. Many of the Pro-Mix products run upwards of $40+ for a 3.8cuft "brick". When i got there they had up a older sale sign for $11.88 each so i got a steal on it. Added some more perlite and a little mushroom compost. Its not the Pro-Mix i really like but its WAY cheaper.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/g ... 345687.htm
PromixAllPurposeValueSize2cuft1020030RG1000px.jpg

GM54-120 said:
Got 6 seedlings in 7gal fabric pots before i had to run out for more potting mix today. I like to keep the mix in fabric pots lighter weight than solid pots.

Menards had 2cuft bales of Pro-Mix all purpose for just $14. Many of the Pro-Mix products run upwards of $40+ for a 3.8cuft "brick". When i got there they had up a older sale sign for $11.88 each so i got a steal on it. Added some more perlite and a little mushroom compost. Its not the Pro-Mix i really like but its WAY cheaper.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/g ... 345687.htm
PromixAllPurposeValueSize2cuft1020030RG1000px.jpg

GM54, Is this Pro Mix potting soil what you are using to Transplant, and Grow your plants out in? I am pretty sure we dont have any of that stuff local, I don’t remember seeing anything like that Bag? I imagine Ace Could order it for a person, possibly cheaper than i could get it? I will look in to it and see. Which Pro-Mix do you like best?

For seedlings i got the Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic for veggies. It was cheap enough just for starting plants. Around $6.50 a bag and $5.50 on sale. Its 1cuft though and not compressed like the bales. A 2cuft bale expands to almost 4cuft.

Pro-Mix HP is the most popular. The HP stand for high porosity.
With its high perlite content, PRO-MIX HP provides a great growing environment to growers looking for a significant drainage capacity, increased air porosity and lower water retention.

I like the Pro-Mix BRK (with pine fines) or MP (with coco coir). It holds a little more water in fabric pots so you water a little less. You can simply add some coco coir to Pro-Mix HP. Its just a really good idea to wash the hell out of it first to get rid of salts and buffer it with a calcium supplement like CalMag.

Coco on its own takes a little tinkering to get the hang of it. You need to add quite a bit of perlite to it or its just a massive sponge. EcoScraps sells a coco based potting mix i really liked and it wasnt super expensive on sale. Full priced though its too high if you got lots of pots. Lowes or HomeDepot had it last year for around %50 off. I didnt see it on sale this year and im not paying $9 a bag for it. Thats way too high. I can get the best Pro-Mix for that kinda money.

This is pretty good if you can find it on sale. It needs a tiny bit more coco and perlite but not mandatory. I even mixed it with mushroom compost and the plants loved it.
https://www.ecoscraps.com/products/natu ... otting-mix
Ecoscraps_Natural_and_Organic_Potting_Mix_32_qt_Front_1200x.jpg

Ecoscraps_Natural_and_Organic_Potting_Mix_6_qt_Back_1200x.jpg

Couple more days of slight shade just to be safe. Back row are the Aleppos.
tRZUjZ1.jpg

hFDFhIv.jpg

A couple of my "pubes"
dfSGzlr.jpg

1FPM20P.jpg

Pots are ready for these but a couple are waiting on a soil delivery before going in the ground.
3jsHGMw.jpg

GM54, WOW!! That is a REALLY neat setup!! I remember seeing the picture you posted of the Bags, But i didn’t put it together til just now? I watched that video on Air Pruning and it made very good sense. I sure wish i had tried some of those black bags!! I can still do it if i order them right now. I saved back 19 plants in the house just in case my early planting failed on me. I will go back and read where you got the Bags, and Rings

Next Year i will definitely be Ordering a Bail of that Pro Mix, And the other you have pictured.

Back