Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM54, AWESOME DEAL! You got your work cut out for ya!! 3 Cubic yards is a fair amount of material to move by Wheelbarrow. I got lucky and ended up getting all of the Compost i want, can use for free, it is REALLY good stuff, My dad has used it with his Tomato Plants and it worked AWESOME. The Downfall is weeds, no matter how deep you go in the pile you stil end up with weeds, I dont mind a little weeding though.

Aleppos are already budding
usx7XsS.jpg

g9ag8vV.jpg

This is what the Growers Mix i got look like after setting in out in 86F most of the day.
Df4EVFa.jpg

PeogRZ3.jpg

No mud at all
1EQ0jLL.jpg

Mmmmm Mac&Cheese with bacon crumbles, a tiny bit if that pepper powder i sent you, yellow cheddar, Pico De Queso white cheddar and a tiny bit of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano....AND its going out on the smoker with just a tiny bit of wood in the box.....OH YEAH!!!
2aYOzwG.jpg

oVc8ndA.jpg

Man! That Looks mouth watering good!! That powder you sent me was a HUGE Hit here! :yeah: I would love to make that exact same stuff!

Ripe jalapeno is the main ingredient in that mix. Ripe Anaheims too but be easy with lumbre. I used Sandia Select IIRC. The lumbre can get hotter than some jalapenos. I also added just a tiny bit of Kirklands No Salt seasoning blend.

Found the exact mix

Looks like 2 big Sandia, a few ripe poblano, ripe jalapenos and a couple red habaneros. All deseeded....Word of caution though my red habs were really mild for Caribbean Reds and sweeter too.
ILGK1UX.jpg

bK0s5Rj.jpg

0MpRC06.jpg

Dang....your gut must be lined with fire brick. lol Looks good though.

That. Does not look healthy. But it does look awesome!!

Finally got some plants in my 5 gallon pots outside. Trying a hydroponic system.

27246399917_b2f00025b5_z.jpg

Got about ten more plants to go.

Got this raised be mix delivered for $32 per yard plus delivery

dAHe10t.jpg

And moved a bunch into this...So the jalapatch is done. Test subject "Bell of Gollu" is in the fabric pot with SLC's Growers Mix.

2 Farmers Market, 2 Mucho Nacho, 2 Fresno, 2 Biker Billy, 1 Sandia Select and 1 Big Jim Heritage.
pMiY6b3.jpg

1 MOA Red (top) and 4 Aleppo in their semi permanent spots. Man do they look nice too.

Nbfi4eL.jpg

"Shade bags" are set mostly to shade the pots for now. L-to-R...2 Dreadies, my best MOA Red and a Ghost.

uSPa8vQ.jpg

A few backups and late starts...2 Fresno from market pod seeds, 2 Mini Reds and 2 Bell of Lebanon. They will all be going out to harden off after the storms pass.

fPAWf4C.jpg

TACO TUESDAY TUESDAY TUESDAY!!!

Beef, black bean and black lentil tacos. Topped with pickled onion relish and a mild smoked hab sauce. REALLY high protein in them lentils and beans.
CaUhJHa.jpg

xL5e5wN.jpg

Lookin Good GM54!! My plants are starting to improve outside, My Rocotos were absolutely beautiful when i planted them in the Big Pots, The First Sunny day they Wilted fairly bad, That evening they were back and looking good, They have finally Toughened up to the Sun, They don’t look as Pretty as they did, But they are slowly coming out of it now, I have at least 1 purple flower like your Picture. I didn’t have much option for shade, They had to tough it out. I think I’ll plant my Last 8 Plants today, That is All i have left in the House. Suppose to be a decent Day til this evening, Then rain off n on for a few days, I figure this is a better time to plant these Guy’s (Beni Highlands) Give them at least a few days of off and on Sun, Rain mix. In my Back Yard they are gonna get Full sun From early Morning til late Evening, I have ZERO shade back there

Plants will do much better if you get them used to real sun slowly. Sometimes just the north side of the house is enough even if its very shady. If i put a plant next to the north wall it gets almost no direct sun light. Move it out a few feet and it gets several hours a day. A southern window sill isnt enough. They have a UV blocker in the glass in thermal windows like mine.

Rocotos will probably do very well under even burlap during the peak of the summer sun. Ive got a large seine net im not using with cords already attached to it. Tying a few strips of 6"-10" burlap ribbon or a few of my "peanut bags" to it will be simple. Tie the seine tight at one end and a couple of those light hanger cords at the other for quick take down or adjustments.

I just up potted a few of my late starts im holding back just a little longer. They are outside in some shade now. I got another raised bed filled. One more to go. They are mainly for some late season veggies and onion sets. I may plant a few of my late start peppers in one if i cant find them a better home. Ive got 6 extra Fresno that are just beautiful but kinda small. 2 more that could go outside now after a few days of semi shade.

BTW i already got a couple teenie tiny little Aleppo pods on one of mine and all of them got lots of little buds. I gave all the plants a mix of CNS17 Grow and Alaska fish emulsion the other day mixed just slightly under recommended. 4tbs for 5gal instead of 5tbs. They are turning a darker green already with new grow too.

I win....i got peppers fiirsssst.....I got peppers fiiirsst :drinkers:

Aleppo and all of them are covered in buds
6glunV3.jpg

dgxPVyK.jpg

Both Mucho Nacho too
SRWhceO.jpg

F7oQm1d.jpg

Dude, You must have better weather than us here on the east coast! Been raining here for 4 or 5 days now and seems like it will not really stop for another couple days. :wall: We did have a couple warm days with it but now a cold front moved in. Last 2 days its been down in low 50's at night (48 this morning) and up to about 58 - 60 during the day. I got some plants but am sort of afraid to put them out yet.

I just did 2 Mucho Nacho last year. This year I am planting 4 plants on the balcony. The Plants on the right I picked up 2 weeks ago, Giant Marconi Sweet Smoky (I love them with the smokey taste in stir fry but can't find a grocery that has them to buy) and Last Saturday I got the 2 on the left, Much Nacho. They both were what I thought looked like the nicer plants but they were looking a little wilted and spindly when I brought them home. Gave them a little drink and they perked up nice. I picked up some worm castings and made a little "Water" (not sure I would call it tea). It is just the castings in water shook a few times a day. But a little of it has done wonders. The plants are more than double in height and the Leaves are at least 3-4 times what they were. I put them out in what little sun we had poke out in the later afternoon but it has been cool and they seem to droop a bit from that cool, I keep them on the slider doors threshold. Next morning they have perked up and even look like they grew more. Its supposed to warm up some this week but looks like it is either cloudy or raining till at least Wednesday. Last evening I mixed up some potting mix (Eco Scraps 32qt, what I had left from last years MG Mix, Perlite, and worm castings), and its all in the buckets ready for transplanting. They look about ready to transplant, just waiting on some nicer weather to leave them outside. You can see the jug of worm tea in the back ground plus a jug of rain water, and of course the deck shows it is raining again. Today is to be a total wash out and only a high of about 60*. The only exciting thing today is picking up a new Rifle later at my dealer. :D

fb8hRZ4.jpg

AckNJet.jpg

We had a few days break 90F already. Quite a few days over 80F. Rain yesterday and more on/off for the next couple days. I waited until nights were supposed to be no lower than 58F before i left mine outside. Days like today are good for container planting. Not much sun and light sprinkles. I put smaller plants under any cover i can find until the stems get tough enough to handle the rain.

LOL those are 2 of the hottest peppers on the planet. :D Upto twice as hot as the ghost im growing. Try a good scorpion pepper sauce sometime. Its instant agony. You dont even have to eat it. A drop on some parts of your skin will burn for hours.

Im only growing the ghost as a novelty and to use in very small amounts to kick up some sauces without adding much of that "hab flavor". Make sure to wear gloves when you cut them open. Eye protection is a good idea too. I had a single seed pop out from a pod while chopping and land below my eye. The pain was intense. In the eye it would have been insanely painful.

Fumes from making hot sauce with Super Hots will literally run you out of the kitchen. It gives me sneezing fits. Make it outside in a small crock pot. Let it cool down before bringing it inside.....Trust me on this. :D Even the fumes from the blender on cold sauce can be brutal. DONT SMELL IT!!!

Super Hots grow slow but yours have a good start. Rocotos are typically worse but one of my largest plants atm is a Mini Red. Its REALLY dark green now too. My little ghost just flowered. Soon i will have to move my P. Dreadies or isolate them with bags. I just need to isolate 2 and i have 5. Maybe move them to the front of the house.

My best MOA Scotch Bonnet is the largest atm but its not much larger than the Mini Red. The Dreadie has a lot more foliage though. The Fresno are growing at a almost alarming rate. Full sun dont seem to bother them at all. The last ones i put out were 6 all in the same tray. Roots were intertwined and i had to tear them apart. They are doing just fine after up potting. I will probably be giving most of those away to a local grower this Saturday. He is the only guy who has Chichimeca jalapeno seedlings. Probably give him one of the rocotos too. He just built a greenhouse.

My middle eastern bells types are about ready for the big pots. 2 are already in and i got 3 more to go which i could do today. Im just being cautious since its way too late for another attempt if they fail. They are outside just pretty well shaded atm.

Well, off to the market. Might make some red cooked pork belly today...Sichuan style with just a tiny bit of heat....virtually none really.

Back