Cataract surgery

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very glad you posted this! I had an eye exam and have been referred to the opthomoligist for pre-surgery screening on May 13th. I knew I had cataracts but my left eye had a sudden onset of blurry vision. I hope you heal quickly and your eyes end up with the best vision possible. If you are willing can you please share the type of surgery and lenses you selected.

Thank you.

John
After reading about some of the guys in here who had a positive outcome, I pressed my eye dr to do something. My left eye was blurry. Right eye wasn't getting any better.

The surgery only takes minutes, you are awake ( but sedated), there is no pain. Both times I was on my way home in less than 2 hours. Since I was wearing bifocals, I wanted to eliminate that. I chose a lens that would let me see distance. I could see a bluebird on the fence post today at 100yds. I can almost read the fine print on the prescription bottles. The doc said my vision may continue to improve. Might need cheaters for the fine work. I can drive without glasses now. I was reading the eye charts yesterday with 20/20 vision just 1 day after the right eye surgery.

Last edited:
I started the process this past week meaning I was approved by my dr and now waiting on the VA to do their thing. Has anyone had it done in the Anchorage area?

Wilyote1,

Wow! Thank you very much for the reply and insight. Found out yesterday, the cataract in my left eye is called a posterior subcapsular cataract (PSC) which is cloudiness in the back layer of your lens and the most difficult to remove. Not as common as others (figures) and can do a rapid onset/growth which apparently happened to me. I am looking forward to the blurriness going away of course but apprehensive about having my eyes messed with (just like my back). Reading and hearing about other's successes is very helpful. Thanks again.

John

Last edited:
Wilyote1,

Wow! Thank you very much for the reply and insight. Found out yesterday, the cataract in my left eye is called a posterior subcapsular cataract (PSC) whic is cloudiness in the back layer of your lens and the most difficult to remove. Not as common as others (figures) and can do a rapid onset/growth which apparently happened to me. I am looking forward to the blurriness going away of course but apprehensive about having my eyes messed with (just like my back). Reading and hearing about other's successes is very helpful. Thanks again.

John
I had something similar. A new lens should take care of that. I was apprehensive about getting my 2nd eye done. I am glad I did. It is definitely a new lease on my vision for me. The best of luck to you. Please keep us posted.

Got both my eyes done this past month. After wearing glasses since 1983, it's the first time in over 40 plus years I have binocular vision. The brightness and vivid colors are amazing. Can almost read the fine print without glasses. I figured I would need cheaters. Vision is improving every day. Pulled my pistol up the other day and the sight picture was great. Can't wait to start plinking again. To anyone on the fence about getting cataract surgery, Do It!! Doc said to give myself a rest from the recoil for a couple of weeks. Let everything heal first.
I had great results also. Whole new world out there. I agree with you. "Do It!"

I’m looking into LAL. Light Adjustable Lens cataract surgery. Anyone have this procedure done?
Waiting til after turkey season.
Reason being with a cataract in my shooting/ right eye I get to shoot two birds with one shot LOL. :elmer:

As fellow MML members know cataracts are a shooters nemesis.
Ghost cross hairs w scope, double rear blade sight, red dots that look like shooting stars.
I sound like a candidate for cataract surgery.

I’m looking into LAL. Light Adjustable Lens cataract surgery. Anyone have this procedure done?
Reason being with a cataract in my shooting/ right eye I get to shoot two birds with one shot LOL. :elmer:

Ghost cross hairs w scope, double rear blade sight, red dots that look like shooting stars.
Prior to surgery
Seeing two of everything ✓
Ghost cross hairs w/ scope ✓
Open sights that don't look like open sights ✓
On coming headlights that look like a kalaedescope ✓

Post op
None of the above

I would not do it. On your nose glasses lose quality of adjusting over time...
and the time is not long in years.

I was near-sighted and had toric lenses put in 2.5 years ago. No one explained that I would need 5 different reading glasses to cover 0-40 inches from my face or that looking through my S&B, NightForce and Vortex scopes would be an issue. Get everything explained if going toric lenses. Keep your eye relaxed but perfectly still when looking at the dot while they gather data for your corrective lenses.

[EDIT... HUGE EDIT] Well at the least, I can see the hair in the pimple on a gnat's ass at 200 meters WITHOUT wearing cheaters.

Last edited:

I am 80 now. Had my cataracts removed and new lenses 10+ years ago. This is a winner procedure! Spent a few extra bucks for the best lenses available at the time. I do not know if that makes any difference, but things went great. Instant improvement and now I am starting to get some deterioration again but Doc says nothing to worry over. All you have to do it relax and let a highly trained professional do his job. You will love the results I am sure.

Bobby, I agree. “let a highly trained professional do his job.”
Research and vett the doc.
My particular eye doc is very well vetted.
Waiting to bust some gobblers then bust the c-racts.
I had lasik in 2000. Resulted in 20/15.
Now 24 yrs later 20/20 & 20/25.
20/20 sucks after having 20/15.
So ready to re-op.

Prior to surgery
Seeing two of everything ✓
Ghost cross hairs w/ scope ✓
Open sights that don't look like open sights ✓
On coming headlights that look like a kalaedescope ✓

Post op
None of the above

I was once in that shoe. I love your positive attitude prior the surgery.

Btw, if there's any post-op assessment recommended by the doctor, I'd advise you take it seriously.

I was once in that shoe. I love your positive attitude prior the surgery.

Btw, if there's any post-op assessment recommended by the doctor, I'd advise you take it seriously.
I am on light duty for a while. No big recoiling guns for a bit. Puttering around in the shop. Getting ready for another 10" snowstorm.

Still happy with my decision to get my eyes done. I wear safety glasses all the time now when I am outside. Gotta protect these peepers .

Thanks, I am keeping my fingers crossed. The doctor said it should take minutes to perform and you wait for a while. I have another appointment two days after and they will test my eyes to see if I need a new prescription glasses.
I had the laser surgery which which was painless and took around five minutes. She blasted some spots on both eyes and my left had more spots. For a week I had what appeared to look like stationary fruit flies and a few larger flies. Looking down it looked like ants and a few roaches. It all went away after a week but two. Those disappeared a few days later. I can see fine again.

Excellent. I shall keep my fingers crossed for you and remember you in my prayers. It should be a simple procedure. Good Luck👍🙏

I've heard the docs around here will do both eyes within a day of each other but I see others wait weeks between eyes? Whats the reasoning behind the waiting?

Back