CCI 250 Primer--105g Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning, once again, the PR breech plug and adapters were used in the Dream Season with the 4X scope. It was hoped to do this shooting before the breeze started, but after fixing wife breakfast, i left the house too late. The only shot made before the breeze began was the first from a cold clean barrel. Then, a swirly light wind began, which continued until the sixth shot. After the fifth shot, the wind kinda became steady from right to left. This prompted me to adjust the scope elevation up, to isolate shots 7, 8, and 9 from the previous shooting. To me, it seems the large rifle magnum primer did a decent job today. The last three shots showed the load is adequate for hunting. The load was 105g Blackhorn, 300g Deep Curl, crush rib sabot, CCI 250 primer. Range was 200 yard. Temperature was 33.

P1030844.JPG

As before, when the breech plug was removed for cleaning, i was able to push, and twist a 1/8" drill through the carbon in the flame channel with my finger tips. This is definitely not possible, when one uses 209 primers.

I am not sure what you mean by "not possible". I routinely clean mine with nothing more than a plastic brush.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

P1030848.JPG

Hopefully the photo clarifies.

When i use 209 primers, i cannot push, and twist the 1/8" drill, shown in my fingers, through the carbon caked on the walls of the flame channel. This carbon formed when using the 209 primers is hard, and thick enough, after only a few shots, that my fingers aren't strong enough to hold, twist, and push the 1/8" drill to the bottom of the flame channel.

However, when large rifle magnum primers are used, the walls of the flame channel are coated with a much much softer soot, and it is trivially easy to twist the 1/8" drill, and push it to the bottom of the flame channel.

The CCI 250 Large Rifle Mag primer is the one Knight recommended to me when I got my MK-95. They recommended it over the Fed 215 and the Rem 9 1/2M but I can't remember exactly why. We did not have Blackhorn then but it has worked for me with BH too.

ronlaughlin said:
When i use 209 primers, i cannot push, and twist the 1/8" drill, shown in my fingers, through the carbon caked on the walls of the flame channel. This carbon formed when using the 209 primers is hard, and thick enough, after only a few shots, that my fingers aren't strong enough to hold, twist, and push the 1/8" drill to the bottom of the flame channel.

However, when large rifle magnum primers are used, the walls of the flame channel are coated with a much much softer soot, and it is trivially easy to twist the 1/8" drill, and push it to the bottom of the flame channel.

Yes, it does clarify, but I use std. CCI 209's and have no such issues in an Encore plug. I usually shoot at least a dozen before cleaning the plug. A (T/C) plastic (breech plug) brush seems to clean it out nicely. Then I pick the touch hole. Blow through backwards and back to work!

Back