CCI Musket Caps ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anybody used them? If so, how good are they? As some of you know my grandsons use Musket caps with their White ML's. The reason being, for them it's easier and safer for them to put on and take off especially at the end of the day hunting. I can't find RWS 1081 Musket Caps anywhere. The only store "Dixon's" about 30 minutes from me has CCI Musket Caps and they are allowing one tin per customer. They don't know when they will be receiving another shipment from RWS and neither does RWS. I have enough of RWS caps for them to hunt with, but I may have them switch to #11 Nipples "Thanks to Bestil's new White Breech Plugs that he designed" to sight in their White's with and then change the nipple back to a Musket nipple to hunt with.

I have my Optima pistol set up with the CVA northwest breech plug kit, which converts from the 209 primers to musket caps.
I have no problem with using them in my pistol. I use triple 7 powder or real black powder. I don't think they're meant for Blackhorn 209, even with an inline.
CCI musket caps are ok but don't use the re-enactor ones.
I have been using Shuetzen musket caps, which I got from Graf and sons.

Graf has the Shuetzen musket caps in stock. 1,000 count. About 60 bucks. Limit of 4,000 per order.
Their hazmat fee and shipping isn't too high. $ 9.95 shipping and $ 19.50 hazmat fee.
The Shuetzen's are supposed to be a good cap.

I go through about 5k musket caps per year in North South Skirmish competition.

Between RWS and Schuetzen, not much difference. The only issue with Schuetzen I've found is that their metal is a tad harder than RWS and that coupled with a nipple with geometry that isn't quite correct and it can "misfire". A second strike solves that. The solution to that problem is to polish the nipple a little for a better fit.

CCI- suitable only for reenactor blanks. You can use them, but don't expect the levels of accuracy you can achieve with RWS or Schuetzen.

But what do I know-
20180420_122426.jpg

I recently bought 1000 of the Schützen from Grafs as well, but haven’t shot any yet. I have used the CCI U.S. Musket Caps without problems, but it was on a sidelock Hawken and not an inline.

‘Poet

Attachments

• 851F51FA-394B-4FC3-B052-DFB3E008FE6E.jpeg
    851F51FA-394B-4FC3-B052-DFB3E008FE6E.jpeg
    13.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I have my Optima pistol set up with the CVA northwest breech plug kit, which converts from the 209 primers to musket caps.
I have no problem with using them in my pistol. I use triple 7 powder or real black powder. I don't think they're meant for Blackhorn 209, even with an inline.
CCI musket caps are ok but don't use the re-enactor ones.
I have been using Shuetzen musket caps, which I got from Graf and sons.
I plan on purchasing the CVA Northwest QRBP conversion kit before I start shooting the Optima V2 pistol. Once Doc White finishes the Javelina stocks.

Well, I broke down and went to Dixon's and bought a tin of 100 CCI Musket Caps for $13 plus tax. They say on the Tin Extra Strength so I'm taking a chance they will be ok??? I'll find out soon enough. While there I bought another lb of Swiss 2F. Man did I get a wake-up call. $40.24 with Tax!! :mad: Thank You, Obama and Bidden!!

Musket Caps.jpg

Well, I broke down and went to Dixon's and bought a tin of 100 CCI Musket Caps for $13 plus tax. They say on the Tin Extra Strength so I'm taking a chance they will be ok??? I'll find out soon enough. While there I bought another lb of Swiss 2F. Man did I get a wake-up call. $40.24 with Tax!! :mad: Thank You, Obama and Bidden!!

View attachment 16349
Unless and until I see them on the firing line in competition conditions AND being used by the top shooters, CCI is still a hard no

The Chinese had a saying, a curse really. I am paraphrasing here....

"May you live in interesting times".

Which perfectly describes the firearms world since Covid-19 started, & our current political climate vis-a-vis the past three presidencies.

View attachment 16349
Coincidentally I bought these yesterday. They look good. In the past I always used dynamit noble. Just can't find them now.. I think they will be fine.

Unless and until I see them on the firing line in competition conditions AND being used by the top shooters, CCI is still a hard no
Why is CCI a no? I shoot them and RWS. I have no issues with either and just buoght 2 tins of CCI for $4.69 each yesterday. What problems are you having with CCI?

Why is CCI a no? I shoot them and RWS. I have no issues with either and just buoght 2 tins of CCI for $4.69 each yesterday. What problems are you having with CCI?

Do you shoot competition? The old CCI 6 wing caps were the best, till a reenactor sued CCI over an injury. The resulting caps are suitable only for blanks. If you shoot for score, you want the most consistent, best stuff you can get and that ain't current production CCI of any type in musket caps.

Head to head accuracy testing of current production CCI musket caps against RWS and Schuetzen will show that pressures are inconsistent and CCI is last place.

Do you shoot competition? The old CCI 6 wing caps were the best, till a reenactor sued CCI over an injury. The resulting caps are suitable only for blanks. If you shoot for score, you want the most consistent, best stuff you can get and that ain't current production CCI of any type in musket caps.

Head to head accuracy testing of current production CCI musket caps against RWS and Schuetzen will show that pressures are inconsistent and CCI is last place.
Thanks for the information as I was not aware of the whole CCI situation. I'm a 50 year reloader and have had a number of primer condition situations through the years. I only shoot max. 100 yard competition and shoot the same with CCI and RWS. The only thing I've notice was not primer related but powder brand. Goex and Swiss are the two I can purchase locally and the Swiss is much better in my opinion for a number of reasons.

Thanks for the information as I was not aware of the whole CCI situation. I'm a 50 year reloader and have had a number of primer condition situations through the years. I only shoot max. 100 yard competition and shoot the same with CCI and RWS. The only thing I've notice was not primer related but powder brand. Goex and Swiss are the two I can purchase locally and the Swiss is much better in my opinion for a number of reasons.

I shoot Civil War arms in the North South Skirmish Association. I have 2 muskets set up for competition and they are different. First up is a 1862 Colt Contract, very similar to a standard US Springfield. It has peep sights, is glass bedded with a 3.5lb trigger. The other is a 1st gen Parker Hale "2 band". It has post and notch sights, is glass bedded and a 3.5lb trigger. Depending on conditions, I switch mainly because using peeps sometimes is problematic with the heavy smoke that can accumulate on our firing line in Winchester VA. Both guns use Old Eynsford powder (a GOEX product) with RWS or Schuetzen caps. Swiss works well, but for my purposes, it's almost exactly equal to Old E for accuracy but the fouling is different. I did try CCI caps on a lark. Group size on both muskets opened up by almost double. My muskets are sub 2moa when I do my part and that means a 2in group will become a 4in just by switching caps.

No, I won't use CCI caps and advise anyone interested in accuracy to avoid them as well.

Now there is a fly in this ointment. The definition of "accuracy" varies from person to person. When discussing it, I insist that we talk in terms of moa, or minute of angle. That's that "gold standard" of 1moa=1in at 100yd. Not minute of tin can. Not minute of paper plate. Not minute of gong. Not minute of Bambi. Groups will consist of at least 5 shots to be anything like valid. More shots is better especially when we're talking figure of merit.

Well I tried them and they worked very well! I still would prefer RWS CAPS, but would not hesitate to buy them again. :lewis:

So then, group size? Odd flyers? How many shots overall?

Sorry, but in my testing, they're sorely lacking for competition shooting. When score matters, it's RWS or Schuetzen.

Latest posts

Back