Cheap camo worked well

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I'm already involved in this discussion, I would mention something else we have in Montana that perhaps is only in Montana, and that is small state owned hunting areas that are open for muzzle loaders, shotguns or archery. Often such areas are only a mile or so square. Can you imagine anyone with enough courage to want to go sneaking in wearing camo clothes that aren't even legal during rifle or general season. It just so happens that I also archery hunted and still do, and I go camouflaged. But there is a time and place for everything and even though you know better than the law, the fine remains the same. Hunter's orange is only required in Montana for big game hunting in the general season, where you can use archery, cross bows, muzzleloader's, certain big pistols, pert near any rifle made as there is no caliber restrictions. It is only during big-game hunting during special archery seasons that you go in camo. Now, seeing just how high stupid is, I will post what is going on the Montana legislator right now. Hopefully there's still some smarter people out there than the fellow that did this bill. Montana legislators approved a measure that makes wearing blaze orange while hunting optional for adults over the age of 18. The bill, which is sponsored by Scott Sales (R-Bozeman), was approved on Monday by the Senate and now moves to the House for consideration.
Squint

Here I am quoting my own letter, but that website I found for Montana changing the regulations is dated 2015, why it would come up as current I have no idea. Anyway there's no bill up this year in Montana to do away with hunters orange.

I contacted my local fishing game resource employee and got it straightened out.
Squint

You don't need expensive clothing. Most of my own wardrobe is a mix of military surplus.
I think all of my archery camo clothing is military surplus. U.S. Military issue Dessert Storm is perhaps my favorite and most effective pattern still-hunting. It's different from most traditional patterns in that it has a light color foundation.
In general I think the best outerwear is one that attempts to breaks-up your silhouette and is made of a quiet material. Deer vision is said to be Protanomaly so I avoid blue and yellow clothing.

women seem to be shooting deer with pink guns and pink camo .
When my daughter started hunting a few years ago, I set her up with an Encore with a pink accented stock and forend. If pink guns and pink camo gets more women into hunting, I’m all for it.
I would say at least 90% of the hunters I know sit in box stands and still think they need to wear head to toe camo. I hunt either on the ground or in an elevated open tripod or lean to stand, and the most camo I wear is a shirt.

Here in Minnesota you have to have the orange on if you are in the woods during the firearms seasons. The exception that I am aware of is duck hunting and bear hunting, which is an earlier season. Duck hunters are supposed to wear orange coming and going from their hunting areas if there's a firearms season in progress but can dress down to camo while in a blind. I hunt an elevated stand and must wear orange while in it. I know people who wear orange to and from their stands but take the orange off in the stand. Legally that's a no-no. Where upland bird seasons overlap any firearms big game seasons, they are required to wear orange, but during their earlier portion of the season they have to wear at least a vest and cap of orange.

I hunt a private property with other private property on two sides, roadways on the other two. There isn't a lot of pressure from the neighboring properties during the season I hunt and if I get warm, I'll get rid of the orange while in the stand leaving the orange hat or cap. About the only thing I need to worry over is trespassers and they usually announce themselves well ahead of my actually seeing them. And yes, they get turned right around.

Its amazing how many people get talked into deer hunting and have zero idea of the laws requiring orange in this state.

Here in Minnesota you have to have the orange on if you are in the woods during the firearms seasons. The exception that I am aware of is duck hunting and bear hunting, which is an earlier season. Duck hunters are supposed to wear orange coming and going from their hunting areas if there's a firearms season in progress but can dress down to camo while in a blind. I hunt an elevated stand and must wear orange while in it. I know people who wear orange to and from their stands but take the orange off in the stand. Legally that's a no-no. Where upland bird seasons overlap any firearms big game seasons, they are required to wear orange, but during their earlier portion of the season they have to wear at least a vest and cap of orange.

I hunt a private property with other private property on two sides, roadways on the other two. There isn't a lot of pressure from the neighboring properties during the season I hunt and if I get warm, I'll get rid of the orange while in the stand leaving the orange hat or cap. About the only thing I need to worry over is trespassers and they usually announce themselves well ahead of my actually seeing them. And yes, they get turned right around.

Its amazing how many people get talked into deer hunting and have zero idea of the laws requiring orange in this state.

I don't know if others have tried it, but I have camouflage orange hunting jackets and shirts that's actually work very well. I've noticed I don't draw as much deer attention than I did with full camouflage. I don't know if it's as easily seen by others as bright orange, and sometimes the laws are murky on whether it's legal, but I've never been questioned by a game warden, but that's another fallacy because I hardly ever see a warden. I do feel safer wearing it.
Squint

When Im going in to the woods Im wearing my orange ball cap and have an orange vest over my climber on my back. After Im up a tree in the stand I leave the orange at the base of the tree. If Im moving Im in orange to be seen Im on public land now and wary.
When I was a youngin, all we were required to wear was an orange hat. When the law changed & started requiring 450sq in of orange I got this vest. I don’t wear the orange hat, but only when I have hunted public or WMA/state game land I will wear the vest. The tree branch pattern breaks up the solid image and is still highly visible.
Outside of that, on any private land & places where I know no one else is anywhere near by hunting, I’m in full camo head to toe. I use a self climber & leave no trace, but the occasional gut pile.
This is the vest, on the left is my Gortex/Scentlock extreme cold weather parka & on the right is my warmer weather turkey & deer hunting camo that I’ve worn for 30yrs.
Pic #2 is me in my turkey camo- deer hunting a few wks ago. The last pic is me & Anomyouscowherd Osceola turkey hunting together in Dec.

Attachments

• 847E4FE4-7A7E-445B-A0C6-C7D9917C2C11.jpeg
    847E4FE4-7A7E-445B-A0C6-C7D9917C2C11.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • F63B3DE2-5C3C-4F81-855A-678672F3A4E1.jpeg
    F63B3DE2-5C3C-4F81-855A-678672F3A4E1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • FC0AA0A6-667C-4430-BF2C-0AE21F554CFE.jpeg
    FC0AA0A6-667C-4430-BF2C-0AE21F554CFE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
One of my hunting buddies uses smell spray, full camo, and face paint, but smokes cigarettes all day.
I know guys just like that too, they'll go overboard with the camo & Rambo paint & smoke cigarettes all the way to the place to hunt & all the way into the woods to where they hunt & smoke while they are hunting. I was a cigarette smoker since I was way too dang young to be smoking, & I did all of those things - except for the Rambo paint, myself. And I've paid the price more than once for stinking up my hunting area. Finally in my 30's I wised up a lil bit & started being much more scent conscious & brought plenty of candies ( Worthers & black licorice ) & snacks to keep me from smoking all day long. Ya don't get up close & personal encounters with critters, while smellin like a giant ashtray, regardless of how much camo & Rambo paint you have on.

I wear camo but agree its not needed. But that being said, during archery and turkey seasons I feel more confident which helps in bagging your quarry.
As for scents, I find that a lot of people use them incorrectly. Like putting out doe in estrus in early October. Nothing will scare a deer quicker than that. I feel no scent is the best scent.

Certain hunts I'll wear camo. Other's I don't bother. It depends on where and when I'm hunting.

As far as scent goes I deal with that year round. I spend a LOT of time in the woods I hunt in (the back of our farm) and make a point to keep my scent back there. After a day of working and sweating I will change shirts leaving the one with my scent either in the ladder stand, brush blind, or shooting house. I smoke, drink sweet tea, and make a point to let them know I'm there. I have been kicked back in my lean-to and had them walk within 5 yds of me, with them on the downwind side. I have shot deer from my shooting house and walked out to have another sitting 10 feet away from me.

Usually if I see a deer I will make a turn in another direction and basically ignore them. This gets the deer used to me and aren't spooked by scent or sight. So when I am hunting, seeing, hearing, or smelling me (even my cigarettes or pipe and coffee) is no big deal.

The exception is at the end of January when they are in rut. Then, they will never know I'm there! Those big bucks get big for a reason!

Good old Woolrich coats and pants. Kept you toasty warm even when wet. But when you got stuck in the rain and your coat was soaked it weighted a ton!
My dad and I did the same and wore a red wool felt cap too. One year, he was sitting at the base of a white pine in the corner of a 20 acre field that was fallow wearing all that red except for brown Sorels. Some guy entered the opposite corner and suddenly raised his rifle in my dad's direction. He figured there must be a deer behind him. The guy fired a shot which hit in the pine above my dad. My dad stood up and the guy took off like no tomorrow...Never found out who he was. Assumed he was a newbie with buck fever...that same year a local 16 year old out for the first time with his dad sat in his spot and across the field a big buck emerged from the woods and he took a shot and the deer dropped. He waited a bit for his dad who was on a walk around trying to scare up a deer. When he did not show, the kid went over to his deer only to find his dressed all in red wool felt dad dead with a hole in his chest.
I understand that the color thing in general helps but just like sometimes seat belts kill, wearing red will not always protect you....

Missouri also requires "hunter orange" hat and vest or jacket during deer season, no specification on square inches but regs specifically state that orange camo does not qualify. As far as camo, I wear old military issue woodland because it still fits and I have it. Only time I worry about camo is turkey hunting

Back