Cheap Stuff That Works

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDiablo

Supporting member
Reaction score
Hunting, shooting, muzzy, outdoor gear that’s cheap and works. Whatcha got?

I’ll start - I carry two Victorinox 3.25” paring knives in my kill kit. They work great for field dressing/boneing an animal. I also use them for skinning predators. Light and cheap - $30 for a four pack on Amazon. I make light weight scabbards for them with kydex.

IMG_3896.jpeg

A really nice tool steel skinning knife is something I appreciate ,I have to admit out in the field hunting I've managed to lose some really nice knives, as the knife and skinning issue evolved in my hunting over the years I've gotten to where I keep some really nice good steel skinning knives but I find myself keeping those knives up on the shelf and not taking them out into the field little by little I would almost rather use some of the knives that have disposable blades they're always sharp enough for skinning one deer or any other animal my sons have managed to slip off with most of my other good knives I have had some quality knives that would skin 15 or 20 animals before they needed re-sharpened but again I've gotten to where I so highly value a knife like that that I rarely use it,,, I never used to consider myself a Frugal person but the older I get and the poorer I get, don't mean that in a negative way,, the more I look for cheap stuff that works,,, especially scopes , and yes I believe find the best scope you possibly can it's just I have destroyed so many shooting smokeless the last four or five years,, I am looking for that $200 scope that shoots like that high and night Force I know wasting my time I can accept some pretty bad glass if it will just track and hold up to the recoil,,, good topic!

I am looking for that $200 scope that shoots like that high and night Force I know wasting my time I can accept some pretty bad glass if it will just track and hold up to the recoil,,
Tried any SWFA SS scopes? Generally considered very rugged and reliable scopes. Retail is closer to $300 but they are on sale from time to time for closer to $225.

https://swfa.com/scopes/swfa-ss/?sort=bestselling

I have a pair of 16 power they have become test scopes for me because they're very reliable with tracking and holding zero the glass on the 16th isn't real good about like a cheaper vortex but the function and durability so far has been great for me I read that they're three to nine is really good and also they're fixed six the next one I get from them is going to be the fix 10 again for those of us out here that do a lot of bench shooting and testing I think those are great deals for the quality and durability

They have two models of that fix 10 I'm sure you noticed I'm going to get the cheaper one of course

I bought my grandchildren heated vests this year for Christmas. I won't mention the brand as there are so many out there and their prices vary. The problem was with the brand I ordered it took a while to get them due to the demand. But mu grandsons used them Goose hunting and they all commented they could have stayed out there all day and wished they had them years ago.

I’ve had the 16x and didn’t really care for it so I sold it and picked up a 10x. Great bench scope.
I had a 10x Shepherd scope a long time ago. It was great glass, but not at all a practical “ hunting scope “ for where I primarily hunted. I didn’t have the understanding on optics that I have now, now was I into bench rest shooting then. So I sold it.
It does make a good bench rest scope. I understand that at one time the military snipers used fixed 10x Shepherd Scopes.

Can we change it to "inexpensive" and not "cheap" ?

On that note....

UTG fixed irons for ARs (or anything with a rail system I guess). Solid, made in USA, $60 for a set.

Bushnell TRS-25. 3moa red dot, lifetime warranty, mine has been on a FN-FAL, multiple ARs in various calibers, various 22s including pistols, and my 12ga shotgun. Had it about 10 years, I've changed the battery once. $70 on amazon

AT3-RD50 - 2moa version of the above. Lifetime warranty, $80.

Mueller scopes, specifically the 8-32x44 w/ target dot or mildot reticle. $250, yes, you can find better but you are gonna have to pay 2-3x as much. Oh, lifetime warranty if you keep your original receipt.

Tasco scopes, the made in Japan ones. These were $500+ scopes in the 70s, but when Tasco quality took a hit, well.... the reputation suffered just on the brand. So you can pick 'em up on ebay, garage sales, etc. for $25-100. My 8-32 w/ fine target dot is just as good as the above Mueller if not as feature rich (no target turrets, AO instead of side focus, etc)

Can we change it to "inexpensive" and not "cheap" ?

On that note....

UTG fixed irons for ARs (or anything with a rail system I guess). Solid, made in USA, $60 for a set.

Bushnell TRS-25. 3moa red dot, lifetime warranty, mine has been on a FN-FAL, multiple ARs in various calibers, various 22s including pistols, and my 12ga shotgun. Had it about 10 years, I've changed the battery once. $70 on amazon

AT3-RD50 - 2moa version of the above. Lifetime warranty, $80.

Mueller scopes, specifically the 8-32x44 w/ target dot or mildot reticle. $250, yes, you can find better but you are gonna have to pay 2-3x as much. Oh, lifetime warranty if you keep your original receipt.

Tasco scopes, the made in Japan ones. These were $500+ scopes in the 70s, but when Tasco quality took a hit, well.... the reputation suffered just on the brand. So you can pick 'em up on ebay, garage sales, etc. for $25-100. My 8-32 w/ fine target dot is just as good as the above Mueller if not as feature rich (no target turrets, AO instead of side focus, etc)
You’ve really made some great choices for being frugal.

I used to wear latex gloves for field dressing. It seems they nearly always split or break in the process. Now I use these Nitrile gloves. They are more durable and the texture helps when things are slippery. I also use them when changing my oil (yeah, I still do my own oil changes for my truck).

They are very inexpensive when purchased by the 100 pack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMGY5MWB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Attachments

• 1705498077813.png
    1705498077813.png
    583.6 KB · Views: 1
I used to wear latex gloves for field dressing. It seems they nearly always split or break in the process. Now I use these Nitrile gloves. They are more durable and the texture helps when things are slippery. I also use them when changing my oil (yeah, I still do my own oil changes for my truck).

They are very inexpensive when purchased by the 100 pack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMGY5MWB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I heard someone else talking about those textured nitrile gloves. I’ve always used the regular ones - I need to try those. 👍🏻

And just to touch on the wearing glove issue I have a couple of friends in Texas that have very serious health issues from things they picked up without wearing gloves through a cut not only from Wild Hogs but Whitetail also I have skin many times with bare hands and got Nicks and cuts pretty stupid on my part looking back

Back