Cheap Stuff That Works

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inexpensive powder funnel. Whiskey flask funnel, clear tubing, some type of flag so you don't leave the funnel in the barrel after loading.

zsv1o9l.jpg

A word in favor of the cheap (edit inexpensive) stuff.

If a fellow walks into a box store and buys a MZ, primers, powder, bullets, and all loading and cleaning tools, they are are in a position to kill anything they encounter or wish to hunt on the planet. My only qualification is they need to work up an accurate load and use an appropriate bullet for the game at hand.

The most expensive gun I own is the CZ I just bought in 22LR. All the rest are lower end ( some may think the CZ lower end) with lower end scopes and none have failed me. Yeah I have missed a few in life but it wasn't the guns fault. My favorite shotgun is a Smith and Wesson 1000 in 20 gauge. It goes by other box store names but a lot of pheasants and rabbits have died to it. I used that gun at a hillbilly shoot and beat guys with guns costing 4-10 times as much.

Dont be convinced that more money is better. In some cases it can be but inexpensive will work too.

Do yourself a favor and learn to do a little gun smithing yourself. Learn to do trigger jobs, bed barrel and actions, lap different parts to fit/work better, etc. Become more intimate with your equipment. My shotgun I have varnished, blued, filed, skeletonized ( you'd be amazed), repaired, etc. Its not a pretty gun but when it buns powder something usually dies. My equipment is not top notch. But with some attention on my end they are very satisfactory

My $.02

Last edited:
IMG_0284.jpeg
Buck 220 folding fillet knife - a little stiff for my taste in fillet knives, but a great, packable boning knife for about $25
IMG_0281.jpeg
Best breech plug cleaning solution I have found. Dissolves carbon fouling easily.
IMG_0283.png
About $8 in the store, but a decent harness for dragging a deer when hunting by yourself, works even better if you can bring a sled. Works under a pack as well if you are like me hunting with a pack.

Others - cheap sawzall for quartering, locking gambrel so legs can’t come off, nitrile gloves, gel super glue just in case of a knife slip, butt wipes.

Years ago I made a backpacking stove similar to these. I used a small paint can, maybe a pint size, that was completely cleaned of paint and label. I packed it tight with fiberglass insulation. For fuel, I used denatured alcohol.

I attached a piece of sheet metal (maybe 10 gauge) cut to size. It wrapped about 4/5 the way around the can. I attached to the can with a large hose clamp. I cut some Vs into the metal for air flow. This made a stand to hold my cup off the flame. It got hot enough to boil water in my sierra cup in about 5-7 minutes.

I suppose TP or cotton balls with 90% rubbing alcohol would work well.

I would hesitate to use one of these in an enclosed space. You should have proper ventilation. But, as a heat source, it would work reasonably well.

Anyone ever try these? Supposedly works great.

Where I grew up in mid and upper Minnesota new a homeless guy who lived in his car. Used 3# coffee can with roll of toilet paper and kerosene for heat source. Alcohol burns cleaner -- works ok in tent for winter camping..need heat barrier underneath and don't fall asleep -- might knock it over then you will be really warm!

I made something similar years and years ago. I'd take a clean tuna or cat food can and cut corrugated cardboard to fit flush to the top of the can, maybe inset an eight of an inch, and roll the cardboard, starting with a "wick" piece that stood up an inch higher in the center, until it fit tightly in the can. When I had eight of ten cans done I melted old candles and poured the liquid wax slowly into the cardboards little chambers until the cans were filled and the wick was well coated. These would burn an hour or more and back then in snow forts they did a nice job of warming things up. Set inside a three-pound coffee can with holes punched around the bottom and top edge one could set a small pan or pot on it and cook.

And just to touch on the wearing glove issue I have a couple of friends in Texas that have very serious health issues from things they picked up without wearing gloves through a cut not only from Wild Hogs but Whitetail also I have skin many times with bare hands and got Nicks and cuts pretty stupid on my part looking back
Similar to chemo/drug gloves -- they prevent chemicals from reaching your skin and thereby prevent transdermal absorption into your body
Don't know if they stop prions though....

I got these in a work "Dirty Santa" Christmas party and tried them out several times while hunting in cold weather. They worked unbelievably well. Actually, on H3 or 4 they are too hot. You can have them heat from one or both sides. They can also be used to recharge your cell phone. I didn't have to charge them until after using them three times but they still had plenty of charge left when I did.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CD25V6XN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A394HGSMZI9QVC&th=1

Can we change it to "inexpensive" and not "cheap" ?

On that note....

UTG fixed irons for ARs (or anything with a rail system I guess). Solid, made in USA, $60 for a set.

Bushnell TRS-25. 3moa red dot, lifetime warranty, mine has been on a FN-FAL, multiple ARs in various calibers, various 22s including pistols, and my 12ga shotgun. Had it about 10 years, I've changed the battery once. $70 on amazon

AT3-RD50 - 2moa version of the above. Lifetime warranty, $80.

Mueller scopes, specifically the 8-32x44 w/ target dot or mildot reticle. $250, yes, you can find better but you are gonna have to pay 2-3x as much. Oh, lifetime warranty if you keep your original receipt.

Tasco scopes, the made in Japan ones. These were $500+ scopes in the 70s, but when Tasco quality took a hit, well.... the reputation suffered just on the brand. So you can pick 'em up on ebay, garage sales, etc. for $25-100. My 8-32 w/ fine target dot is just as good as the above Mueller if not as feature rich (no target turrets, AO instead of side focus, etc)
About 10 years ago I found an old Traditions Pursuit for $125. A buddy gave me an old Tasco [made in Japan] scope. I mounted it thinking I'd trade up later. I call that combo "Old Betsy" inspired by Jack O'Connor and his .270.. I've taken at least one deer every year with the combo. The scope is clear as ice and hold its zero better than any of my other scopes. How's that for cheap? The Nikon Prostaff I have on my TC triumph is giving me grief and I've got my open for another tasco.

I have been known to do some dumpster diving in my life. I come from a long line of cobblers ( not the shoe guys). I can remember riding with my grandfather and having him tell me that you could tell a guy was rich by the amount of junk he had behind his barn. I found out later that isn't always true. 😂.

My latest cheap find that was repurposed to a deer drag , coyote carrier, tool carrier, kayak lift handle is $3.50 and comes in pairs for $7.

Attachments

• PXL_20240118_182517135.jpg
    PXL_20240118_182517135.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I have been known to do some dumpster diving in my life. I come from a long line of cobblers ( not the shoe guys). I can remember riding with my grandfather and having him tell me that you could tell a guy was rich by the amount of junk he had behind his barn. I found out later that isn't always true. 😂.
or $7.
Ive heard the same thing. A rich guy wont have much behind the garage cuz he throws everything away. A poor man has lots of stuff behind the barn and will save everything cuz it may have some good parts still.

Inexpensive powder funnel. Whiskey flask funnel, clear tubing, some type of flag so you don't leave the funnel in the barrel after loading.

zsv1o9l.jpg
Nice funnel but how could you possibly forget to remove from barrel when you still have to load your bullet. That being said I could use a flag on my rod because I’ve shot one of them down range before and let me say kick like a mule would be an understatement

Latest posts

Back