Cheap Stuff That Works

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice funnel but how could you possibly forget to remove from barrel when you still have to load your bullet. That being said I could use a flag on my rod because I’ve shot one of them down range before and let me say kick like a mule would be an understatement
I shot my Omega ramrod downrange in 04, that got me scope bit & bloody. Believe me, forgetting to remove the load thru funnel......is entirely possible.

A couple cheap things i like to do.
Ziploc freezer 1qt bags keep things handy and dry in my pack. I keep hand warmers and a 1/2 dozen nitrile gloves in one, toilet paper in another, and one with a bunch of extra bags just in case, for my fone, snacks or fire starters or whatever. They pack down small and things dont get lost or wear against other stuff, in those bags.
If i do need fire starters i keep the TP tubes and pack them full of dryer lint then fold or staple the ends closed. (Potatoe chips also work great as fire starters but are noisier)
For target practice at the range(or where ever) i make targets from cheap paper plates and just draw a quarter size spot in the middle, with a Sharpie marker. Much cheaper then those nice splatter targets. Altho some times I’ll find some nice targets left by previous shooters that only hit them once or twice and just left them posted(thx).

As a Boy Scout many years ago, I found the best fire starter for wet tinder was Frito’s corn chips. Never failed to ignite.
Awesome...never heard of that.
Now I just carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my pack. Besides cleaning your hands and knife after dressing an animal its a great fire starter. Just be sure to check it from year to year and add alcohol if necessary.

I have been printing my targets for over 20 years using this Nosler target (attached) that I found years ago. Cheap copy paper can be used but tears more, and I have found card stock to be too heavy., so I splurge a little and use a slightly heavier (32 lb.) and higher quality. I usually overlap 6 targets to make one big target - used mostly for centerfire...

Attachments

• Nosler_target.pdf
    515.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Target paper.jpg
    Target paper.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 0
I have been printing my targets for over 20 years using this Nosler target (attached) that I found years ago. Cheap copy paper can be used but tears more, and I have found card stock to be too heavy., so I splurge a little and use a slightly heavier (32 lb.) and higher quality. I usually overlap 6 targets to make one big target - used mostly for centerfire...
Not cheap unless you print them at work like I do ;)

Could never get access to our poster printer or banner orinter though ...

Back