Choosing the right Sabot/Bullet combination for you.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have shot a few Deer with powerbelts. I have shot a Few Deer with the all Lead DeadCenter bullets. And now have witnessed shots with Barnes bullets. And for the first time this year, i used the Hornady XTP 250GRN AND 300GRN bullets. Folks i'll tell ya straight up, the Hornady XTP bullets are just flat out hard to beat for the money and performance. They shoot really well. They do an extreme amount of DAMAGE. And they kill animals fast.
I took some time and weighed some different kinds of bullets today. This is the order they came in.

1-DeadCenter bullets were by far the most consistent in weights.
2-Hornady XTP'S (250 and 300grn)
3-Barnes bullets, MZ Expanders (250 and 300grn)
4-PowerBelts. (295grn Powerbelts)
The closer in weights the bullets are, the more accurate they will shoot. I have found that to be 100% true in my MuzzleLoaders.

Whatever bullet you choose, you need a very good sabot. I prefer MMP Sabots in my HB Savage. In my new Savage i like the Harvester sabot a touch better. Easier loading and a little more accurate. I think between MMP and Harvester you will find the Sabot for your specific MuzzleLoader.

Harvester-

MMP- http://mmpsabots.com/

My no# 1 bullet choice right now is the Hornady XTP'S. Forget they are cheap, they just flat out work. Throw them in your pocket, and go hunting. That's a big advantage over Lead bullets. Lead you basically need to wrap them in cotton and protect them. The XTP'S need no special care at all.

As far as the best Sabot, your Gun will tell you that. Try both Sabots, and use the one it likes the best. :wink:

"The closer in weights the bullets are, the more accurate they will shoot."

Actually this is not always true. For sure we all want our bullets to be as consistent as possible, but there is more to this then just bullet weight. If what you are saying is that the Hornady is an accurate bullet with good terminal ballistics, I would have to agree. If you are saying this is the most accurate bullet available to shoot out of a Savage 10 MLII,then I would say depends on the gun and load.

Rifleman said:
" If you are saying this is the most accurate bullet available to shoot out of a Savage 10 MLII,then I would say depends on the gun and load.

It's not about the most accurate bullet at all. It's about an accurate bullet that works. :wink: As you will see in the pic below, it performs as well as it shoots. This Deer was quartering away from me. The bullet stopped on the left side of the shoulder in the hide. zero steps was the result. This is the entrance of the 250grn XTP.

25401594.jpg

efc3ee3f.jpg

One thing is for sure....
When one considers ACCURACY, TERMINAL PERFORMANCE, and COST....the Hornady XTP IS the one to beat.

Dang what a hole, Grouse!

When looking for the best inexpensive bullet I do agree the xtp is tough to beat.

Rifleman said:
When looking for the best inexpensive bullet I do agree the xtp is tough to beat.

:lol: :lol: Dwight relax man. This thread was for helping people with a good sabot and bullet based on results. That's all :) I killed a Pig in Crossville with XTP'S. And killed 5 Deer with XTP'S as well. I think i know how they work. Right now, the only bullet that performs as well are the DeadCenters. That's a fact. Savage MuzzleLoader or a T/C MuzzleLoader. It really doesnt matter, these bullets just work.

I am about as relaxed as one can get. :lol:
Seeing this forum is for new to muzzleloading I just thought some qualifying statements were in order. No doubt the xtp is a good bullet as are many others, if one could get the Rem 44 mag 180 gr JHP to shoot well in a sabot out of a muzzleloader it would be found to be a great bullet too. I have killed over 40 deer with it from a handgun at 1600 fps. Most folks could shoot at D battery and kill a deer at typical muzzleloading deer hunting ranges though. Where I live a chance to take a deer at 200 yds or greater can happen more often then you might think. Indiana corn fields can give one a change of perspective.

Rifleman said:
Where I live a chance to take a deer at 200 yds or greater can happen more often then you might think. Indiana corn fields can give one a change of perspective.

That's when an XTP wouldnt be a good choice. The low BC of an XTP would blow all over the place. Your High BC Barnes original might just be the best bullet for you.

Thanks Tom, that is the only point I was trying to make. What is best for one guy in his locale and hunting method might not be ideal for someone else. Matter of fact you saw probably by now I started a thread on the other board asking Chuck about his load for Kristels gun. Now that looks like a great load for a newbie or smaller person who may be recoil sensitive. I am interested in that load for several reasons I wont get it too here, but of course you know there is always a method to my madness. :wink:

Latest posts

Back