Coated some Ford Blue Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
80FF Goex and a 1/16 poly wad

then 90 and 100

then repeat with 3F

The 3 band shot well with my first test with my 1-30 twist barrel. [7,8,9] at 50yds.
BPS07202023_0001w.jpg
Now to try them in the 1-28 barrel.
Hoping that the 4 bands shoot good in this barrel.

So am I correct in assuming that lube isn't required with the powder coating? I already powder coat for my CF rifles and handguns but not for the muzzleloader bullets. I did a test once but without thinking I used a bullet from my alloy melting pot and it was way too hard to load and gave up the idea.

Soft lead and Eastwood Ford Blue powder paint.

I started pushing some of the Harder bullets with 115 grains of 3F.

Trying to get 1450-1500 fps out of my 24" 54 with a 478 grain bullets.

When cleaning the bore, I was getting small flecks of lead on my cleaning patches.

Even on the twice coated. Sized and re-coated.

Used 2 1/8" felt wads over the powder.

Looks like the powder doesn't like the higher pressures.

I started pushing some of the Harder bullets with 115 grains of 3F.

Trying to get 1450-1500 fps out of my 24" 54 with a 478 grain bullets.

When cleaning the bore, I was getting small flecks of lead on my cleaning patches.

Even on the twice coated. Sized and re-coated.

Used 2 1/8" felt wads over the powder.

Looks like the powder doesn't like the higher pressures.
Yup I had considered the powder coat, then somebody explained that the powder coat will scrape off on loading then strip off with lead on firing I choose a lube from the Ingot to Target, I had to pdf it no longer in print.

Rifle and pistol boys are using it.

It worked well with 80FF and 90FF, but the higher pressures, it doesn't seem to like.

Yup I had considered the powder coat, then somebody explained that the powder coat will scrape off on loading then strip off with lead on firing I choose a lube from the Ingot to Target, I had to pdf it no longer in print.
The coating is chemically bonded to the bullet. Its almost impossible to scrap it off.

I shoot pc bullets up to 2800fps and no leading. You have a issue with your bore. Or you are not cooking them right. I do 410° for 20 min AFTER the powder goes to a wet stage. You also have to check the temp your oven actually heats to.

Back