Some Bullet Issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Facing a bit of a dilemma with the Arrowhead 300gr NSR bullets I have been using for almost a couple seasons now. I have no complaints about their accuracy at all (have shot them out to 200yrds on deer to this point, and holes touching at the same distance on paper). My concern is with their inconsistent results on deer. I have had anything from six inch exit wounds to no exit holes at all, with massive internal damage. Aside from the destroyed meat, my only real issue is getting that exit wound. For example, at the end of the 2022 hunting season I shot a doe at 10yrds. She dropped on the spot from a shoulder shot; however, there was no exit wound. There was massive internal damage, and the bullet blew to pieces inside her, but I just lost a nice buck recently with not a drop of blood to be found. He actually bedded down about 15yrds after the initial shot behind some brush. I reloaded and continued to wait for him to get up. As the minutes passed it was becoming later and later with darkness approaching. I determined that I couldn't wait any longer and maneuvered for the best shot possible (really a guess at his body position, because all I could see were his antlers). I also had to blow through some brush. The result was probably a miss, and he got up and limped off. I never saw a drop of blood when I went to look. I waited another 3-4 hours to pick up the trail, hoping he might expire in that time frame. There was no blood to be found. I can only assume I hit him in the leg and it wasn't a lethal shot. All that being said, I am looking for a bullet that will completely pass through, leaving me with the best possible blood trail. I liked the 300gr bonded Furys, but accuracy fell apart somewhere between 100 and 200yrds. At 200 yards there was no grouping at all. My rifle builder recommended I switch to the 300gr NSR bullets, which I did and they have been excellent in regard to accuracy, but inconsistent upon impact. I am shooting this bullet using 78grns of H322 out of a 26" Brux barrel with a 1:20 twist. I have also tried IMR 4198 with decent results, but the H322 worked best with both Arrowheads and Furys. I thought about trying a wad above the powder, in conjunction with the Furys but don't want to add that step due to time loss reloading in the field. Thoughts????

Have you chrono'ed that load? Is this about what you think it’s doing? I’d definitely try a wad - it doesn’t add any significant time to the reload for me.

IMG_3476.jpeg

Harley you're not alone. I don't post much in the SML section here, but I'm a member of a number of SML sites. Your problem isn't unique.
We're all looking for that magic bullet, but in over 50yrs of searching, I've yet to know of one, but a few maybe close.

When we drive bullets at 2500fps and faster, different things happen at different ranges. There are many posts about bullets that grenade at close range, then they blow 1/2 the animal apart on exit at mid ranges, and at really long range they may just pencil through. Same bullet.

Quite honestly, a bullet that IMO works likely the best, both close and long are Barnes. I'm not in any way saying they are the perfect bullet, but for most hunting applications, they just work.
Wads aren't a hassle while hunting, unless its -20°. Some bullets shoot better with a veggie, while others may shoot better with wool. With the Fury 300's a veggie was the key for my specific rifle. If you do try wads, you should try both.

Facing a bit of a dilemma with the Arrowhead 300gr NSR bullets I have been using for almost a couple seasons now. I have no complaints about their accuracy at all (have shot them out to 200yrds on deer to this point, and holes touching at the same distance on paper). My concern is with their inconsistent results on deer. I have had anything from six inch exit wounds to no exit holes at all, with massive internal damage. Aside from the destroyed meat, my only real issue is getting that exit wound. For example, at the end of the 2022 hunting season I shot a doe at 10yrds. She dropped on the spot from a shoulder shot; however, there was no exit wound. There was massive internal damage, and the bullet blew to pieces inside her, but I just lost a nice buck recently with not a drop of blood to be found. He actually bedded down about 15yrds after the initial shot behind some brush. I reloaded and continued to wait for him to get up. As the minutes passed it was becoming later and later with darkness approaching. I determined that I couldn't wait any longer and maneuvered for the best shot possible (really a guess at his body position, because all I could see were his antlers). I also had to blow through some brush. The result was probably a miss, and he got up and limped off. I never saw a drop of blood when I went to look. I waited another 3-4 hours to pick up the trail, hoping he might expire in that time frame. There was no blood to be found. I can only assume I hit him in the leg and it wasn't a lethal shot. All that being said, I am looking for a bullet that will completely pass through, leaving me with the best possible blood trail. I liked the 300gr bonded Furys, but accuracy fell apart somewhere between 100 and 200yrds. At 200 yards there was no grouping at all. My rifle builder recommended I switch to the 300gr NSR bullets, which I did and they have been excellent in regard to accuracy, but inconsistent upon impact. I am shooting this bullet using 78grns of H322 out of a 26" Brux barrel with a 1:20 twist. I have also tried IMR 4198 with decent results, but the H322 worked best with both Arrowheads and Furys. I thought about trying a wad above the powder, in conjunction with the Furys but don't want to add that step due to time loss reloading in the field. Thoughts????
It sounds like your bullets are destabilizing fast & thats whats opening your groups up.
I've read many times about that barrel, with that twist rate, that the Parker 275g BE shoots really well.
But those 300g bullets " should " shoot very well too, something about the long shoulder & shorter ogive that made them shoot so well in a 1:20 twist.
I think you may need to play around with powder & velocity some more & you'll find something to work for you.

Thanks for the info. I will try some wads with the Furys and see what my accuracy is like. I used Barnes 300gr originals for a long time with orange MMP sabots with my Remington Ultimate and Savage ML II- killed many deer with that bullet, but I had a few grenade on me as well. As for distance correlating with the type of terminal performance, it has been a crap shoot with the Arrowhead- 10 yrds no exit, 30yrds 6 inch exit, 200yrds 4 inch exit, 30yrds no exit. Totally unpredictable how it will react on impact. It definitely does the job, I would just like more predictability. I'm getting about 2800fps at the muzzle with 300gr Arrowheads using 78grs of H322. I haven't chronographed the Furys.

At those speeds, 2800fps, I think the only bullet that will stay together is a copper, solid, of some sort. Like a Barnes Expander or the XPB. Personally I stay away from those monolithic bullets that shed petals, but they still have that core base that continues on thru to create an exit in most cases. I have the .40 Fury Star Tips that I was hoping to get to try on an animal during the late season here but I never went. The Fury's are bonded and should stay in one piece. Every deer shot this fall fell to a Barnes and those with pass thrus had golf ball sized exits.

I have killed deer out to almost 300 yds with the Barnes 290 TEZ. They perform fantastic for me. Always an exit hole. I use 60 grains of 4198 powder and a wool wad.

Back