Colt 1911 Project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Guys I have a like new Colt 1911 series 70 45acp. Was thinking of sending it off for some custom work, like night sights, lower and sweep the ejection port, etc. I might be silly, as this gun is worth quite abit as is. I wonder if I should do this or not, what else I might add if I do it, and who does this kind of work right without wanting my firstborn grandchild.
Any ideas?
Thanks Rman

I wouldn't do much to it. If it was an 80 series I would say go ahead.

Do you want a custom gun or just custom gun features? The new Kimbers are really nice with most of the expensive custom features already done. Real custom from a gunsmith who knows what he is doing is expensive. With the CNC work on the new ones cost has come down alot. Not custom but they make for a good gun.

I have numerous 1911s from my IPSC days. I wish I could still carry them. Glocks are a sorry replacement. :cry:

your 1911

I would not do it for several reasons. Anything Colt has collector value
or will have. The 70 series does not have the firing pin dissconnect in it that was implemented into the 80 series. Also the Colt quality was was at its peak in the 70's made guns before union problems with management
that created quality issues that showed in the 80's series made guns.

You can purchase a Kimber or a Springfield or even a S & W for less money and get more features that the cost and time spent customizing a
Colt frame and slide. IMO the tolerances of the newer CNC made 1911 style pistols are tighter and shoot far better than cutomizing a existing frame.

Greg

Your Colt series 70 will lose considerable value if you alter it. Leave it alone.

Buy another brand if you want to customize it.

Guys I know about the disconnect and the 80s had soft slides that won't maintain the dimensions when the slide is squeezed, which is why no one wants a 80 in the first place and what drove up the market on the series 70.
Right now a 70 in same condition as mine is worth 7-800. I think if I had custom work done right by someone like Wilsons or Ed Brown it wont hurt the value. I might not be able to get my further expense back, but who would not pay 800 for a customized series 70 down by Ed Brown or Wilsons?
I was wondering who else is good besides these guys? Anyone used Cylinder and Slide?
What kind of stuff would you put on it?
Just how good is a tricked out Kimber compared to a Tricked out Colt?
I guess what I really should do is put it in the safe, leave it alone, and save up 3 grand and buy an Ed Brown.

Dwight,

I agree with everyone not to modify the Colt.
Another option would be to trade it for an older Gold Cup or if money is an issue, try the new Taurus 1911. The Taurus recieved excellant reviews from several sources!
For what the Colt mod's would cost, you could pay for the Taurus.

Jack we have been friends for way to long for you to try to get me to buy a Taurus. I am deeply hurt. :D

I think youse guys just want me to offer that Colt up for sale. Not gonna happen.

Dwight,

No go for the South American firearms huh?Was just a suggestion. :oops:
Maybe I should give up a "piece" offering as in pie! :wink:

I guess what I really should do is put it in the safe, leave it alone, and save up 3 grand and buy an Ed Brown.

I think you answered your own question. :lol: 8)

That would be my plan! I only own 1 - 1911 and it is Springfield. I REALLY love it! I have never had a jam or a ftf in a couple thousand rounds now. I know ya dont like it but I will show you a pic of it anyhow! :wink:

100_0584.jpg

Yep.. the light is mil-spec and is bright as the sun... the combo has already claimed a late night racoon..

Back