Columbian Blacktail Trip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbythehunter

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get to post earlier, it's been a very busy fall.

I got a chance to hunt 6000 acre ranch out west for blacktails in late August. Thought about muzzleloading but given how dry things were and the chance for incredibly long shots, my friend and guide asked me not to bring the muzzleloader. I decided on my Ruger .308 (with Hornady american whitetail 150 grain interlock I believe)  instead as I had yet to score with it in three previous years. Was hoping for a mature buck and that's exactly what I found on the first day of the hunt. 75 yard neck shot finished it . It was a beautiful little deer probably weighed 120 pounds. Haven't scored the antlers yet but will soon. Nothing special but a nice representative 3 or 4 year old buck. Given what we saw the rest of the week (we weren't quite as serious) I made a good decision. It was very warm with a full moon and think alot of activity was going on at night. We saw maybe 10 -15 bucks during the week but I only saw one other as big as the one I  took. My friends son took a similar buck as well.  Just starting to bowhunt here in Connecticut. Millions of acorns and apples this year, could make things tough. Good luck all and be safe out there.   
p1010011.jpg

That is a fine Colombian Blacktail!  

What county were you hunting?

Tough critters to hunt over here in the coastal thick stuff.

wow for a blacktail, that is a great rack! Congrats on the hunt. Thats a long way to travel!

You always have all the fun!  I've never hunted them but I understand they are tough to hunt especially the mature bucks like yours.  Congrats on a nice buck!

I hunted them once and passed up a 3x4 for a bear instead ... wrong choice.

Is that a California deer or an Oregon one? It's too open for Washington.

Thanks everyone. It,s from Mendocino, cal . Private ranch that produces some really nice bucks but the week I was there was hot and full moon . This was as it turned out among the 3 nicest we saw in the five days I was there. Blessed to have seen him and taken him.

Latest posts

Back