Custom Powerbelt Tip-

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Made a few molds over the past 2 days and have been experimenting with them all. One of them did not come out right but the other 2 are working perfect.
In this picture, its the Plug style insert that fits flush with the tip of the bullet. One was turned upside down with the pointy part sticking out of the bullet and the other was inserted into the bullet with the pointy part down.

These bullets weighed 245 grains out of the package and after i installed my tip, they weigh in at 262 grains. These bullets were also shot with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS @ 58 yards into damp sand. This bullet used to EXPOLODE with 90 grains RS.
You can see the tip that smeared over the nose of the bullet and protected the rest of the soft lead under it.
245grUP-DOWN.jpg

I still have a lot more testing to do and decide on the final design that works the best. So far this plug is really showing a lot of promise. I will work on another mold that has a slight cone that sticks out of the bullet. A litle extra to aid in protection.

Also the bullet that had the tip installed with the flat side (Sprue) had expanded more, A lot more and i'd like to see if i can improve on this and slow some of the expanding down. The other bullet worked perfectly and is super strong all the way down to the base.

close. A chunk of aluminum thats been bored .153" and then used a .184" screw to thread the mold.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/HqohQIU0ofE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HqohQIU0ofE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So the piece you inserted is smooth...what is threaded..

A chunk of aluminum ? i assume a solid block , i am completely confused..

you bored something so you made a hole in it.153"
what is the mold

The mold i made myself out of a chunk of aluminum i cut in half. I JB weld the 2 pieces together and drilled a .153" hole through the center of the 2 pieces, and then used a .184" screw to thread the entire shaft of the insert.
shaft2.jpg

I think i got it ..aluminum block , you made a hole in it .153" then threaded the hole. with a .184" screw...
then you poured something in that hole ---LEAD maybe/// then took it out of that threaded hole [[that has got to be tough]]] then installed it in the hollow point/// the slight oversized threads act as a tightener and a lube when inserted into the bullet..

Exactly! Couldn't have put it any better.

The threads also help hold the bullet together. As the bullet impacts and the lead starts to mushroom, it grips onto these threads and holds it tightly together.

2 piece mold. splits right in half and i usually just have to wiggle the Insert a lil to get it to pop out. After that it goes straight into ice cold water over night to harden. I am going to try an alloy next.

I got some 50-50 in 1 lb sticks..what are you using now...and what type of alloy next?

Wheel Weight lead and then quench it in ice cold water once it pops out of the mold, allow to fit over night.

Im not sure what alloy i will try next, i have to run to a couple stores and see what they have on the market that i can melt with an open flame.

So far after some testing today, it looks like the Plug wants the point part sticking out the end of the bullet. The last bullet i just shot now weighed 257 grains, After shooting it came out 253 grains. But it was a little thinner than i'd like it to be. THis one seems to be the winner as long as the pointed end is sticking up. This would be the first picture of the post and the one on the right.

got the inserts today. They install very easily. If the weather holds i will be testing loads on friday and see how the 295s shoot.

Great Andy glad they got there.

Remember use the stock Powerbelts for sighting in and then take a few shots with the inserts insalled just to make sure everything is where its supposed to be.

If you or anyone else need more before hunting season starts, just let me know.

FG, I received the inserts earlier in the week. I will shoot the copper 295s this weekend. I shoot at a range where we have a traditional dirt backstop. Any ideas how to trap these slugs?

Take a 10x10 or 12x12 cardboard box and fill it with the dirt and pack it down.

FrontierGander said:
Take a 10x10 or 12x12 cardboard box and fill it with the dirt and pack it down.
FG, thats a chit load of dirt! You have a front end loader I can use? Not sure if the club would buy into that. I might try a steel plate up on the side of the hill.

Thats a tiny box!! 10" x 10" is a piece of cake! Just dont carry it or else you may strain a nut :lol:

FrontierGander said:
Thats a tiny box!! 10" x 10" is a piece of cake! Just dont carry it or else you may strain a nut :lol:
Sorry, I was thinking 10 feet by 10 feet! :affraid:

Latest posts

Back