CVA Navy 1851 Navy .36

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Got her in today! I've already started some work but will slow down and start on the insides, clean, lube, touch up any parts that need some polishing, ect. The brass polishing is going to be a mother, I am not looking forward to it LOL.
IMG_1692_zps99c7e300.jpg

Trying to keep the brass shiny is close to impossible if you shoot it much. Most guys just let it acquire a 'patina' that lends to their aesthetics of "authenticity." In other words, they want a replica gun to look as old as if it were an original.

I've got a EuroArms one and it's a bit tricky to get the wedge at the proper tension (depth) to allow for trouble-free shooting.

You're right Pato  , that wedge must be tensioned just enough otherwise the cylinder binds .

Once you've sorted her she's a sweetheart to shoot though. I use 24gr 3F in mine which gives me a very accurate load.

yep if i smack mine in all of the way, it binds up, weird how these things do that when you want that wedge fully in place!

You don't want the wedge all the way in. When it's adjusted right. You can install, and remove the wedge by hand.

Muley said:
You don't want the wedge all the way in. When it's adjusted right. You can install, and remove the wedge by hand.
I agree.  Taking it apart should be quick and easy with a BP revolver.

Muley said:
For the uninitiated, what keeps the wedge in place if you can take it in and out by hand?

theres a little spring/knurl type of deal at the end that curves upward and holds it.

MLN1963 said:
Muley said:
For the uninitiated, what keeps the wedge in place if you can take it in and out by hand?
You press it in with your thumb, and remove it the same way. It's still a wedge, but doesn't need to be hit in and out if the fit is right. It takes some polishing just like you'd do to a trigger to get the right fit.

FrontierGander said:
so what size of balls does this thing use?
I measured some I cast yesterday to see if they would work as # 0000 or 00000 buckshot in my new SxS percussion shotgun. They averaged about .378-.380". Too big to fit good in a shotcup (power piston).

Jon,

It doesn't matter much what the final size is as long as they are larger than the cylinder's openings. They need to "shave lead" when being loaded to assure that no chain fire or backout of the bullet occurs when firing.

patocazador said:
Jon,

It doesn't matter much what the final size is as long as they are larger than the cylinder's openings. They need to "shave lead" when being loaded to assure that no chain fire or backout of the bullet occurs when firing.
patocazador, a friend of mine had a BP pistol and that's what I remember about him loading it.  He did not use any wads, and the custom round balls he made were essentially "form-fitted" into the cylinder when he loaded it.  I also remember :scratch: him putting some paste or something on the cylinder somewhere to prevent a chain fire.

Inline50,

If you shave lead with the balls, they seal the anterior part and there is no need for grease over the chambers. If the balls are undersize, then you should do that to assure that fire doesn't jump from the fired chamber to the rest and ignite them. It's referred to as a chain fire. They all go off at once- not an enjoyable session at all. :affraid: 

The rear of the cylinder needs the proper size of percussion caps seated all the way to seal the back side.

Way more chain fires are caused by loose caps.

Grease over the balls is better to keep the fouling soft, than prevent chain fires.

Muley said:
Grease over the balls is better to keep the fouling soft, than prevent chain fires.
That is interesting and something I have never heard before. Thanks for posting this info.

Pato I take all my revolvers and put a small chamfer (JUST BREAK THE SHARP EDGE) on the chamber mouth's in order to cause the balls to be swaged into the chamber giving me a very tight fit and no 'shave' .

I would never do that Spit. The round shaved ring tells me the ball in a proper fit.

Back