New guy from North Carolina

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLogik

Reaction score
Been shooting ever since I was a little kid. Cap pistols, then BB gun, then a 22 and when I hit 18 I went all out and bought a 444 Marlin. I was already hooked but after the 444 it was all downhill from there! Shot on a rifle team in college and have done my share of Partridge and deer hunting in the UP of Michigan and Dove in North Carolina and Quail in South Carolina.

I've always wanted a black powder gun and bought a pistol kit not long after the 444 and had it all done except for finishing it, but it got "lost" in a move. I think it got "lost" in the moving van driver's toolbox...

Roll the clock ahead to today and now I'm 65 and can afford to spend some disposable income so I pulled the trigger on a pair of Uberti 1851 Navy London models.

My are they a blast to shoot! The whole snick-fa-boom sound and the cloud of smoke is just intoxicating. I still haven't mastered the art of percussion caps but I'm working on it. I shot some this past weekend with with real black powder rather than the 777 I got at the local gun shop and I must say, the black powder is more fun.

Looking to pick your brain for tips on percussion caps and proper cleaning (which I've done a ton of reading on already). Also looking for advice on DIY period-correct lubes, cleaning tools and pistol accessories.

Keeping my powder dry...

Welcome from PA. Always wanted a black powder revolver but don't think I could deal with the slow loading and quick shooting! I'd have to have a dozen extra cylinders to shoot it.

Welcome from Kentucky, eh for lubes see from target to ingot, it has the best baseline for tweaking to suit needs, caps see 22sharpshooter.com I use their Number 11 cap maker and their Prime all. and "CLEANING" mmmmmmm well it a can o worms find a Method you like something you will stick with and charlie mike

Welcome from Oregon by way of Hawaii. For my cap and balls pistols which I wash with brushes in a plastic dish tub in the kitchen sink, after the patches and brushes, I use a regular hair dryer on the parts and cylinder. Works great.

Latest posts

Back