CVA nitride , does it chip?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
Debating on buying a cva accura v2 or MR, hows the nitride finish on these and will it chip apart and look like crap after a year? Thanks

The first V2 MR's chipped because i think it was baked on or painted on. The nitrite barrels of today are made with the nitrite within the barrel itself. I have one and have no chipping at all. I have an older MR and it did chip.

Ray................ :yeah:

hawgslayer said:
The first V2 MR's chipped because i think it was baked on or painted on. The nitrite barrels of today are made with the nitrite within the barrel itself. I have one and have no chipping at all. I have an older MR and it did chip.

Ray................ :yeah:

how are you liking the MR, I handled one awhile ago at cabelas and liked the feel of it.

Nope, that's not how it works. It won't wear off or flake like their old "coating", and the ones that the other companies still use.

Ferritic Nitrocarburation (Nitride Process) actually hardens the outer layers of the steel, in this case Stainless Steel. Guaranteed not to rust. Read this, and watch the video.

http://www.cva.com/nitride-gun-finish.php

sawtoothscream,

I'm pretty sure busta and I explained it for you. It won't rust inside or out and won't flake off. GUARANTEED :!: :!: :!: The new MR is probably the best rifle out there IMHO. Before I went over to the DARK SIDE, traditional rifles, I shot nothing but CVA's. I started with the the old goose neck V1 and went on to buy the V2 and the V2 SS TH and then black stock SS V2 and the the 1st MR THAT HAD THE FLAKING PROBLEM and finally the MR with the Nitride Barrel. I still have 6 or 7 in the safe and they are all promised to the grand kids. Like the saying goes, IT'S JUST A BETTER GUN. :yeah:

Ray............... :wink:

My wife has the mr. It's an outstanding rifle. It has the best trigger out of all my muzzleloaders. Imho even better than my knight mountaineer. I wish all of my muzzleloaders were nitride treated. If the rifle fits I think you will be very happy.

If you want to save a few bucks, look at the Optima V2 in nitride. Its nearly as light as the MR and reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Is saving the tiny amount of weight worth the extra $100ish or more? That money could go to a BH209 plug and a DNZ scope mount instead.

I know some will say. "Oh but the MR has a Bergara barrel and an adjustable trigger". Well im not impressed by the extra polishing and ive yet to hear anyone complain about a Optima V2 trigger.

I would not buy another regular Accura V2. The Optima V2 is cheaper, lighter, looks/feels better and has a similar action release. The extra cost simply is not worth it to me.

The only thing that makes the MR worth it is the Apex stock. It fits me perfect and feels like it recoils less than the other CVA's. Except of course the Apex. The only problem being the Apex/Mr is scope only unless you want to make higher open sights and now you have to D/T holes too.

GM54-120 said:
If you want to save a few bucks, look at the Optima V2 in nitride. Its nearly as light as the MR and reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Is saving the tiny amount of weight worth the extra $100ish or more? That money could go to a BH209 plug and a DNZ scope mount instead.

I know some will say. "Oh but the MR has a Bergara barrel and an adjustable trigger". Well im not impressed by the extra polishing and ive yet to hear anyone complain about a Optima V2 trigger.

I would not buy another regular Accura V2. The Optima V2 is cheaper, lighter, looks/feels better and has a similar action release. The extra cost simply is not worth it to me.

I have a optima v2 thumbhole right now, just looking at options if the repair costs to have them remove the firepin bushing are ridiculous. HAve to call them monday.

That bushing screws right out. Is it froze? That needs to be taken out every time you clean the gun.

The Nitride Accura MR Would be my first choice for any new production BP/Sub muzzleloader. That doesn't just include CVA. That includes Knight, Thompson Center, Remington, and Traditions.

Cooper is in another league, and what I consider a complete custom built rifle, built by craftsmen and gunsmiths. All the others are thrown together with mass produced parts, by assemblers, with very little attention to detail.

The post 2010 CVA's have the best factory triggers, by far. I agree that the Nitride Optima V2 is also a very nice rifle, but that Nitride Accura MR is the best fittinhg rifle I've ever shot. The Goose Neck Accura V2, just don't agree with me as far as fit, but have been solid rifles for those I know that own them. Pick the one that fits you best.

I've been waiting all year for a new CVA Scout V2, which is a steel framed center fire .460 S&W Mag twin to the Optima V2. They won't release it until they get it right, which is how it should be.

Let us know which way you end up going.

I've been waiting all year for a new CVA Scout V2, which is a steel framed center fire .460 S&W Mag twin to the Optima V2.

Im keeping my eye on those also but in 45/70. It should make a great Super Smoker. There is one thing i really want and its a light weight compact fast twist 45 with a steel frame. The removable muzzle brake is icing on the cake.

CVA-Its-Just-A-Better-Gun-1456415732.jpg

GM54-120 said:
I've been waiting all year for a new CVA Scout V2, which is a steel framed center fire .460 S&W Mag twin to the Optima V2.

Im keeping my eye on those also but in 45/70. It should make a great Super Smoker. There is one thing i really want and its a light weight compact fast twist 45 with a steel frame. The removable muzzle brake is icing on the cake.

CVA-Its-Just-A-Better-Gun-1456415732.jpg

The .45-70 is already out, as well as the .44 Mag. I've heard through the grapevine, that they are not quite happy with the accuracy of the .460 S&W Mag. It is a quirky caliber to get right. It was supposed to be out by early September, but you know how that goes. I have one ordered, if it ever shows up. If they are having problems, I'd rather they get it right, instead of releasing half-baked problem rifles to meet a deadline. The other manufacturers have done enough of that over the last couple years.

sawtoothscream said:
GM54-120 said:

I have a optima v2 thumbhole right now, just looking at options if the repair costs to have them remove the firepin bushing are ridiculous. HAve to call them monday.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but CVA is offering a new tool for removing your firing pin bushing, pin, and spring for cleaning.

BPI-32440_l.jpg

http://shop.cva.com/pc_product_detail.a ... 552927438B

Muley Hunter said:
That bushing screws right out. Is it froze? That needs to be taken out every time you clean the gun.

yeah, I messed up and its stuck in there. the slot for the screw driver is also ruined. lesson learned :wall:

If it's not froze too bad you might be able to take a small punch and tap it out. Some heat might help too.

Muley Hunter said:
If it's not froze too bad you might be able to take a small punch and tap it out. Some heat might help too.

tried that but it was a no go. Sent CVA CS a email, will most likely call them this week and see if they will fix it. If not the MR will get ordered and ill try to fix the optima and give it to my brother or something. Wonder if I could have someone dill the hole and weld a socket bolt in it. Dont know if thats possible or not, might have to ask my neighbor, he welds for a living.

I don't think CVA will warranty that problem. You would be better off trying a local gunsmith.

Latest posts

Back