Help choosing the right rifle.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCree

Reaction score
I'm putting together a muzzleloader to meet Co elk regulations and I'm torn which route to take, I'm considering 3 options...

1. I have a TC Encore so I could get a 209x50 barrel and go that route.
2. Find a White rifle. I've never owned one but read good things about them.
3. Northwest CVA Accura MR-X.

Whichever route I go I plan to top it with a good peep setup. I'd really like some input as to what the best option is for accuracy in such a setup.

Thanks!

The Encore 209x50 or a White would be good choices. I’ve got a pile of Whites and an Encore with .45 and .50 barrels. For elk (.50 min) you should start thinking about which bullet you’re going to use. The .50 Whites will handle lead conicals (serious elk bullets) up to 600 grains. The Encore is a slower 1:28” twist, so you’ll probably be limited to conicals around 300 grains. The Thor 290-300 gr all copper bullets are good choices for elk.

For sights, I like a good rear rail peep like a Williams Ace in the Hole or EABCO Peep Rib so I can use a scope for load development and then take it off to meet CO regs. That would be my choice for an Encore. For a White, I like a Lyman 57SME peep. For a good front, I’d go with the Williams Western Precision fiber optic.

The Encore 209x50 or a White would be good choices. I’ve got a pile of Whites and an Encore with .45 and .50 barrels. For elk (.50 min) you should start thinking about which bullet you’re going to use. The .50 Whites will handle lead conicals (serious elk bullets) up to 600 grains. The Encore is a slower 1:28” twist, so you’ll probably be limited to conicals around 300 grains. The Thor 290-300 gr all copper bullets are good choices for elk.

For sights, I like a good rear rail peep like a Williams Ace in the Hole or EABCO Peep Rib so I can use a scope for load development and then take it off to meet CO regs. That would be my choice for an Encore. For a White, I like a Lyman 57SME peep. For a good front, I’d go with the Williams Western Precision fiber optic.
Thank you, your feedback really helps! I plan to experiment with a variety of bullets as soon as I determine which direction I'm going as far as a rifle. Do you lean on way or another, encore vs. white, based on your experience with both? I'm also curious...you didn't even mention the CVA. I've never felt as though CVA quality was as good as that of TC but they seem to have a decent reputation these days.

I could go either way and be happy. It’s nice to see someone looking at some of the old classics. Pros and cons to both the Whites and the Encore. For my money, if I were only buying one, and it was for elk in CO, I think the Encore is more versatile. You could use the OEM breech plug or upgrade to the fantastic Woodman adjustable 209 plug. You could shoot shoot Bh209 and 209 primers and the bullet selection would be greater. More choices in scope bases and peep sights as well.

I’ve never been a fan of anything CVA makes. Aesthetics, design, fit and finish and numerous quality control issues don’t inspire me.

I'm putting together a muzzleloader to meet Co elk regulations and I'm torn which route to take, I'm considering 3 options...

1. I have a TC Encore so I could get a 209x50 barrel and go that route.
2. Find a White rifle. I've never owned one but read good things about them.
3. Northwest CVA Accura MR-X.

Whichever route I go I plan to top it with a good peep setup. I'd really like some input as to what the best option is for accuracy in such a setup.

Thanks!
Sounds like your doing actual ml season here so you will be limited to percussion caps no primers so I would find some first since they are practically impossible to get in oregon. Theres a die to make them at 22lrreloader.com then you will need to get cap gun rolls and hole punch them and stuff them. This is the first hangup. Then the nw legal mrx will be the way to go inside about 100 yds with their fiber optic sights. I use thor bullets with no ballistic tip. theres a sizing kit thats worth getting to make sure it fits the bore although I have found that cva accuras are consistently .500 unlike most other ml barrels. 100g t7 ffg with a 297 thor gets me 1850fps and kicks like hell. no reason to add more charge as it doesnt really get faster except for bh209 and over about 150yds the sights become ineffective for most and the fpe drops to about 1200fpe. Its really a 100yd setup and in that range you can also opt for 80g t7 ffg and you will still get 1650fps and not get as much kick.

I could go either way and be happy. It’s nice to see someone looking at some of the old classics. Pros and cons to both the Whites and the Encore. For my money, if I were only buying one, and it was for elk in CO, I think the Encore is more versatile. You could use the OEM breech plug or upgrade to the fantastic Woodman adjustable 209 plug. You could shoot shoot Bh209 and 209 primers and the bullet selection would be greater. More choices in scope bases and peep sights as well.

I’ve never been a fan of anything CVA makes. Aesthetics, design, fit and finish and numerous quality control issues don’t inspire me.
no 209s in oregon ml season. no plastic bullet parts at all also. open sights only so bh209 is going to be absolutely no advantage in my opinion since in my eyes open sights and these requirements mean 100yd shots for most.

Sounds like your doing actual ml season here so you will be limited to percussion caps no primers so I would find some first since they are practically impossible to get in oregon.
We don’t have any ignition restrictions in Colorado - so 209 or caps are allowed. Full-bore bullets, any sub powder (except smokeless) and open sights.

no 209s in oregon ml season. no plastic bullet parts at all also. open sights only so bh209 is going to be absolutely no advantage in my opinion
The OP is hunting CO, so not nearly as restrictive as OR.

Did you consider an Omega? Same barrel as the Encore just a different platform. You could upgrade to a smokeless-capable Woodman Arms barrel down the road if you wanted to. (Although Woodman just made a couple Encore barrels so that might be an option as well).

Colorado is open sights only and the muzzy season is Sept (at the beginning of the rut) so, I don’t think you need a long range rifle. If you could shoot a good bullet to 200 yards you’d probably be good to go. The bullets is really more important than the rifle. Odds are most shot opportunities will be inside 100-150 yards. Depends on the unit.

Latest posts

Back