CVA Optima, Good Choice?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donny123

Reaction score
I'm looking for my first muzzleloader.

I shoot Pistols, Rifles and Shotguns and reload for all of them. So the prospect of loading every shot is not an issue as I understand the safety aspects.

I've been researching and shopping a round a bit and have kind of settled on the CVA Optima. I'm just looking for something new to rotate in to my shooting. It will not be a big game hunter, likely a paper puncher at the hundred yard range. Maybe in the future I might be looking to go on a Hog hunt but that is not the focus.

I'm wondering if the CVA is a good choice? Reliable, safe, reasonably easy to maintain? Better choices for the money?

I'm seeing them on the CVA website for a little over $300. Any better place to buy, not really seeing them in stock anywhere right now.

Thanks for any help and input!

There’s one listed in the classified section here on this forum.

If you have a Walmart nearby that sells guns, this is about the time of year when they put out muzzleloader stuff.
They usually have a few CVA, Traditions and I've seen Thompson Center Impact rifles.
Their prices are generally pretty good.
Your biggest problem will be getting your hands on 209 primers.
The CVA Optima has a northwest breech plug kit available that will allow you to use regular musket caps instead of the 209 primers.

If you have a Walmart nearby that sells guns, this is about the time of year when they put out muzzleloader stuff.
They usually have a few CVA, Traditions and I've seen Thompson Center Impact rifles.
The CVA Optima has a northwest breech plug kit available that will allow you to use regular musket caps instead of the 209 primers.
Walmart stopped selling guns and ammo in CA last year.

Primers are not an issue, I reload 12ga and have plenty,

209 muzzleloader primers can be found at the same Walmarts that sell muzzleloaders.

Excellent choice. It’s as safe as you can get. Easy to maintain & very accurate. Use witness marks on your ramrod.

Greg

The Optima is a nice gun, very user friendly and you can expect 200 yard accuracy with the right bullets, sabots and charge. To get started it'll be easier to find T7 granulated powder and I recommend that over the pellets. The T7 powder will ignite using the primers sold as muzzleloader primers. Maybe in a year or so when Blackhorn 209 become more available again you'll choose to switch to a breech plug that is compatable with that powder and use regular shotshell reloading primers and get the absolute best from the gun.

I have the Optima V2. Tonight I shot sub MOA at 100 yards using the Hornady SST 300gr with Blackhorn 209 70w.
Great shooting gun and very accurate.

I have the Optima V2. Tonight I shot sub MOA at 100 yards using the Hornady SST 300gr with Blackhorn 209 70w.
Great shooting gun and very accurate.
These are my last 3 shots after weighing the charges (was measuring by volume earlier in the evening)

Attachments

• 20210916_214545.jpg
    20210916_214545.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2
That's good shooting there.

I see that kind of accuracy with my Accura at 100 yards with 250 grain XTPs and 77 weighed grains of BH209 powder. With the same powder charge and a 250 grain XPB Barnes its even a bit tighter at 100.

Just curious, have you sent any bullets further down range with that? Both of the bullets I mentioned hold together really nice out to 175 yards before they begin to open up the group. Most of my hunting shots are within 50 yards but a couple years back I took a shot at 168 measured yards and was comfortable with the shot just because I spent time at extended distances as well as shorter one. Nice knowing where things go at both ends of one's comfort zone.

Again, that is a dandy 3 shot!

Latest posts

Back